• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Two New Translators in Miami

W288DD has been on the air lately but with only a stereo pilot tone.
A translator of WMGE, I assume they will translate WREH.
They are side-mounted on channel four's old tower in the trailer park.

W235CJ will translate WOCN.
It seems that "moving" from 94.9 in Orlando to 101.9 in Miami will be quite a move.
They will be on a skyscraper in downtown Miami.

Funny you mention translators, and that leads me to LPFM. I was in car along the turnpike and picked up a strong signal on 104.7 FM with Spanish Religious Programming. Did some digging online: its WYUN-LP 104.7 run by Uno Mission, Inc. The transmitter is near John Knox Village near Race Track Road in Pompano Beach. There is an address of 3730 Coconut Creek Parkway, 33063. Not sure if that is where the studios are. It operates at 100 watts.

That led me to look up what was going on in Broward, LPFM wise. I was on Pirate Jim’s Angelfire site and seen some interesting LPFM’s that I’ll have to try to pick up as I drive the Broward area. Props to Pirate Jim . . .

WZOP-LP 92.7 Hollywood Brothers Helping Others Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale FL (cp expires - 10/24/2016)

WAFG-LP 107.1 Calvary Chapel Pompano Beach Inc.
Pompano Beach FL (cp expires - 7/26/2016)

WKHE-LP 92.7 Actions For Better Future Inc.
North Miami FL (cp expires - 10/16/2016)

WZPP-LP 103.9 Broward Jewish Alliance, Inc.
Hollywood, Florida. Its seems they are on the air.

No Call Letters -LP 102.1 American Network Media
Ft. Lauderdale FL (cp expires - 10/7/2016)

WOIB-LP 101.9 The Omega Church International Ministry
Oakland Park FL (cp expires - 7/30/2016). They are on the air, and also stream on the web at their church website. Good signal, very clean.

101.1-LP All Media Services Of America Inc.
Boca Raton FL (cp expires - 10/23/2016)

99.5-LP Genesis Center for Growth and Development
Fort Lauderdale, FL (cp expires 9/27/2016).

102.3-LP The Truth Will Set You Free
Hallendale, Fl (cp expires 10/2/2016)

WAFG-LP?
Hmm, that would have capitalized on the old 90.3 WAFG from Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church.

Speaking of translators and low power . . . its a bit out of the Miami Fort Lauderdale market, but one of the best low powered stations along the Treasure Gold coast is in Jupiter. They have a Wikipage. The station started out as WJTW-LP at 100.3, but recently moved to 103.9 with a new call sign, WJUP-LP and now known as "The Jup" and playing "The Music of the Stars." Fans of Palm Beach and Treasure Coast radio will remember Dick Farrell, who is on the air weekdays at the station. The music sound great. A great "local" channel for sure. Would love to see a station like this go on the air in the Broward or Miami market.

You can visit their site, which streams, HERE at http://wjupradio.com/site. They also have a Facebook Page HERE . They have two photos of their control room under the photos section of Facebook. Very impressive, very nice facility. Looks like they are using BSI's Simian automation software.

While in Sarasota recently, I heard WSLR-LP and thought it sounded interesting,
but block programming is off the table in today's world of "what you want, when you want it".

While in Sarasota recently, I heard WSLR-LP and thought it sounded interesting,
but block programming is off the table in today's world of "what you want, when you want it".

ai4i thank you for this GREAT posting about, and turning me onto Sarasota's WSLR-LP. Very impressive station. For ever WIOB-LP 101.9 and WYUN-LP 104.7, neither which impressed me much with their programming or web presence, I must say that WSLR is right up their on my list along side WJTW (now WJUP), which is, in my opinion, the gold standard on how to own and operate a LPFM and reaching out to a wider demo with their programming.

I found WSLR on the web at http://www.wslr.org/. Please do visit. Its very impressive . . . this is how an LPFM should be, an innovative, listener-supported, non-profit, non-commercial FM radio station dedicated to serving the community. I get the point about the block programming . . . but, since it is giving the community a voice, serving the community and bringing back the entrepreneurial spirit to the FM dial, I'll support it.

W235CJ will translate WOCN.
It seems that "moving" from 94.9 in Orlando to 101.9 in Miami will be quite a move.
They will be on a skyscraper in downtown Miami.

Others have heard 101.9 and were under an impression it was a pirate . . . and being discussed on the current thread "101.9 A Pirate" HERE on the RD boards. Good to see that it's a legit station, and will translator 1450 AM.

Last edited:

ai4i thank you for this GREAT posting about, and turning me onto Sarasota's WSLR-LP. Very impressive station. For ever WIOB-LP 101.9 and WYUN-LP 104.7, neither which impressed me much with their programming or web presence, I must say that WSLR is right up their on my list along side WJTW (now WJUP), which is, in my opinion, the gold standard on how to own and operate a LPFM and reaching out to a wider demo with their programming.

I found WSLR on the web at http://www.wslr.org/. Please do visit. Its very impressive . . . this is how an LPFM should be, an innovative, listener-supported, non-profit, non-commercial FM radio station dedicated to serving the community. I get the point about the block programming . . . but, since it is giving the community a voice, serving the community and bringing back the entrepreneurial spirit to the FM dial, I'll support it.

The WSLR call letters had a long history in Akron, OH. Known as "Whistler 1350" they had a Country format from 1965 up until September of 1994 when they changed call letters and format.

WSLR also provides a good chunk of programming to WBPV 101.1 in Western Manatee County and Anna Maria Island. The antenna is at the Aces Lounge, which is a bar with great musical history. And more info you never wanted to know was also ALMOST featured on Bar Rescue.

WSLR also provides a good chunk of programming to WBPV 101.1 in Western Manatee County and Anna Maria Island.
I thought that WBPV-LP is the other half of the "WSLR network".

Poking around on the very awesome Pirate Jim's Low Powered FM Database and pulled together a list of LPFM's to look out for in the Miami Dade County area. Again, props go to Pirate Jim . . . .

No Calls – 92.7 - 1 Miami, inc. – Miami (cp expires 10/16/2016)

WYTG-LP - 92.7 - Tabernacle Of Glory Community Center Inc. - Miami (cp expires - 10/16/2016)

WRIZ-LP - 94.3 - Multimedia America, Inc. – Miami (cp exp 2/18/2017)

No Calls – 94.3 - Rete 105 Miami – Miami (cp expires 8/6/2016

WSQF-LP – 94.5 - Square Foot Community Radio – Key Biscayne (cp expires 9/15/2017)

WVGK-LP – 94.5 - Llamados Para Triunfar, Inc – Miami (ON AIR, Spanish/religious)

WJEW-LP -95.3 - Ministerio Internacional Dios Te Ama Corp. - Miami FL (ON AIR Spanish/religious)

WLJM-LP – 95.3 Calvary Chapel of Miami Beac, Inc. – Miami Beach (cp expires 8/11/2016)

WSKT-LP - 96.1 Agape Force Miami - Miami (cp expires - 3/21/2017)

No Calls – 96.9 – Power One Ministries, Inc. – Miami (cp expires 10/20/2016)

WWPP-LP – 97.9 – We Count – Homestead (cp expires 2/6/2017)

WPSI-LP – 98.7 – Radio Voz Mundial, Inc. – Miami (cp expires 9/6/2016)

WTGK-LP – 98.7 Sacred Farm Ministries – Miami (cp expires 7/26/2016)

No Calls – Iglesia Misionera Pregneros de Justica de – Hialeah Gardens (cp expires 10/17/2016)

WBUJ-LP - 99.5 – Barry University – Miami Shores (cp expires 10/17/2016)

No Calls - 101.1 - South Florida FM Inc. - Miami FL (cp expires - 10/13/2016)

WQNB-LP – 103.1 – Beware, Inc. – Miami (cp expires 10/9/2016)

WDKK-LP – 103.1 – American Multmedia Syndicate, Inc. – North Dade (cp expires 3/26/2017)

No Calls – 103.9 – The Zoo Art FM, Inc. – Miami (cp expires 10/23/2016)

WAYG-LP – 104.7 - Calvary Chapel Miami – Miami (cp expires 4/30/2016)

WGGP-LP – 106.7 – First Baptist Church Big Pine Key, Inc. – Big Pine Key (ON AIR, English/ religious teaching music)

WUGR-LP – 107.1 – Miami Multimedia Associates Corp. – Miami Beach (cp expires 4/4/2017)

WORZ-LP – 107.9 – Ocean Reef Public Radio, Inc. – Key Largo (On AIR, music variety)

WMIV-LP 107.9 – 305 Commmunity Radio, Inc. Miami – (ON AIR, Variety, as “Shake 108”)

Only four are on the air currently,

WVGK-LP – 94.5
WJEW-LP - 95.3
WGGP-LP – 106.7
WORZ-LP – 107.9

and

we know WMIV-LP 107.9 as "Shake 108," which is discussed in length on the RD boards HERE.

Last edited:

Unlike Broward and Miami-Dade, not much happening on the LPFM front in Palm Beach County and beyond . . . only five LPFM’s . . . .

WPBV-LP 98.3 – Tepeyac Mission, Inc. – Palm Beach (ON AIR, Christian)

No Calls – 98.3 – Centro de Vida, Inc. – West Palm Beach (cp expires 4/6/2017)

WDZP-LP – 101.1 – Carribean Heritage Foundation – West Palm Beach (ON AIR, r&b)

WVRO-LP – 105.3 – Flowing Streams Church – Vero Beach (ON AIR, Contemporary Christian music)

WBOF-LP – 105.9 – Faith Baptist Church of Ft. Pierce Florida, Inc – Fort Pierce (ON AIR, Christian)

And . . .

Missed one for the Broward list (back on posting #2, on page #1)

WIPU-LP – 106.3 – The Rock Church of Hollywood, Inc. Pembroke Pines (cp expires 7/28/2016)

again, props to Pirate Jim's LPFM page.

Big Pine Key is waaay southwest of Miami, between Marathon and Key West.
It is like Miami to Fort Myers or Miami to Fort Pierce.
I missed it until I noticed the 106.7 in your list.

Last edited:
Some helpful LPFM rules and regs . . . .

Pulled this LPFM chatter off the Houston Galveston board . . . under “Big Problem For This LPFM Applicant” that can help us in understanding LPFM’s in the South Florida area posted in this thread . . .

“Applicants can take as much time as needed, up to the expiration date on the permit. Even then, an extension is almost sure to be granted if additional time is required to get up and running. Extensions are granted very quickly and easily to extend a CP for a total of 36 months for LPFMs or the same as the other classes of stations get to build. The FCC will likely go 36 months on a future LPFM filing window given the number of extensions they have handed out.”

And this LPFM chatter off the Seattle Tacoma Board under “First of the Seattle LPFM’s is on the Air.”

“The way it was intended to be: there is only one LPFM per group. The FCC said "See? This is solid policy...NOBODY will be able to bend the rules to their favor if we only permit one LPFM per applicant!" However, that does not preclude either of these loopholes --

- A "franchise" of a church or non-profit opens up a new LPFM. According to the FCC, the "franchise" is the licensee, even though it may not have much (if any) autonomy from central offices. I'm pretty sure the Seventh-Day Adventists have been playing this game a lot recently in the Southeast. Most end up affiliating with LifeTalk Radio 24/7 (even though its not local in origin, so probably a FCC LPFM violation...if they could be bothered to care) and . . .

- A shell company or re-named group applies for the LPFM separately from another radio station. In this case, KDXB-LP is to be owned by "KMIH.org Radio Booster Club". Ditto with their 94.5 translator. KMIH itself is owned by "Mercer Island School District #400". According to the FCC, this is A-OK even though in all reality they will likely be "sister stations". , just a chance for the well-heeled parents of Mercer Island High students to have their own programming. Regardless, I'd be shocked if KDXB isn't co-located and/or co-managed with KMIH (or KMIH/94.5 gets sold off with Hotjamz going to 101.1). This is also how KGHO-LP got their chain of translators...I'm pretty sure a LP is only allowed one translator, so they have another non-profit "organization" apply for the rest (which is completely legal). “

OK, I see 101.9 is supposed to be a legit LPFM. If they are legit, why are they not identifying themselves at all. Listening for 5 hours straight they play only music, no commercials, no DJ's, and no "jingle" identifying who they are. Could it still be a pirate in the area I am hearing them broadcasting over the regular station? Any questions, please PM me.

We spent some time within WZPP-LP's coverage area yesterday.
They were running popular music, but nothing sounded as if it was from a Jewish cultural or religious entity. We also heard a bunch of typical local underwriting announcements.

I am wondering whether WOCN will take on a major format change, perhaps fill a music void, once they activate their translator. It will be like a new radio station, and one that will blanket all of central Dade County nicely.

OK, I see 101.9 is supposed to be a legit LPFM. If they are legit, why are they not identifying themselves at all. Listening for 5 hours straight they play only music, no commercials, no DJ's, and no "jingle" identifying who they are. Could it still be a pirate in the area I am hearing them broadcasting over the regular station? Any questions, please PM me.

The 101.9 you mention is, according to the list previously, is WOIB-LP 101.9 The Omega Church International Ministry, in Oakland Park. Or . . . are you referring to the Miami station that will translate WOCN 1450 AM? I personally, haven't been able to hear the Miami 101.9's programming, activity.

You can visit WOIB on the web at their Facebook Page, which will lead you to their NEW website, which streams the station. They also stream at the Omega Church Website, which has "Last Songs Played" feature (which seems to display their Real Player styled software). I did give them a listen and I did hear a legal, hour ID. I tuned in today and they are running spots.

When you read the Facebook page, you'll notice Omega Church purchased the LPFM WJUP 103.9 from Jupiter Community Radio (this was the old WJTW-LP at 100.3, which moved to 103.9) -- according to the Facebook page, for $250,000 dollars. Scroll through the posts, down to March 29th, and you'll see pictures from the "meeting" between Omega Church and Jupiter Community Radio officers completing the purchase. So, WJUP-LP sale is completed and its carrying programming from WOIB-LP.

Thus, a great live, and local station that did a great job programming oldies music and gave opportunities to many to have messages heard over the air, bites the dust. As one unhappy WJUP fan stated on FB, (and I paraphase) "the new owner changed the format to religious hip hop cr*p." (their opinion, not mine).

Again, as for the "pirate" on 101.9, are you referring, do you mean, not WOIB-LP Oakland Park, but the 101.9 further south, the 101.9 that is going to translate WOCN 1450 AM owned by Salem Media Group? That is being discussed on the RD thread HERE, entitled, "101.9 Pirate."

My question: When it comes to Low Powered FM's, I though the non-profit entities who purchase them, were only allowed one station each. Or, because it's upstate in another county, and not in the same county, it's permitted?

Last edited:
David,

I am the one who started the thread 101.9 Pirate.

They are not playing any religious music, nor any oldies per se. They are playing things like NWA, The Fresh Prince w/ DJ Jazzy Jeff, Old Snoop Dogg, and others from the late 90's to today. Roll on down to Miami around NW 62nd street and I-95, you will hear it clear as day. There are no call signs announced and it just sounds like an automated playlist from a computer with some bad transitions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom