Latino Accent in USA Radio Stations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latino Accent in USA Radio Stations

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    The United States as a nation doesn't have an official language, and never has. So per the 10th Amendment, the states are free to do as they please in this regard.
    And I can't help but think that this was intentional.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

As the parent of two immigrant teens (Romania) I can attest to DE's opinion that English is very difficult to learn (as a second language). I learned this trying to explain English to my two girls.

We (English speakers) have plenty of rules pertaining to language but we tend to break each and every one of them. We have many words that change meaning based upon context and some based upon spelling. We place nouns at the end of the sentence rather than at the beginning (except for the military) so you have to read or listen to the whole sentence before it makes sense. We adopt words from other languages and incorporate them into our dialect, sometimes as slang and other times officially. We make up words out of nothing (rather than the German practice of appending meaning to existing words).

OTOH, we have a lot of fun with our language and tend not to be too nationalistic about it (unlike the French) so perhaps all is well.

I have enough trouble understanding some of the people who speak (Southern US) English where I live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weqbCdjdkUA

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/wo...ary-words.html
    Last edited by anotherguy; 03-10-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    OTOH, we have a lot of fun with our language and tend not to be too nationalistic about it (unlike the French) so perhaps all is well.
    You live in Arizona and say we don't get nationalistic about the English language? Article 28 of the Arizona Constitution defines English as the official language of the state, and all state business must be conducted in English.

Remember: "Its Are Country. Speek English."
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    You live in Arizona and say we don't get nationalistic about the English language? Article 28 of the Arizona Constitution defines English as the official language of the state, and all state business must be conducted in English.
    I was referring to the average person on the street nationally. Consider the difference between the national policies of the USA and France (and several other countries who are concerned about the emasculation of their "national" language). Consider those countries that have national laws concerning the naming of children (a form of language).

We require immigrants to learn English as a form of adoption of American culture even though it isn't enforced. It is also an economic issue in that it costs real money to conduct business, privately and publicly, in multiple languages. Nevertheless, when necessary, (in court for example) should the participants not be well versed in English translators are furnished. Highway signs on I-19 between Tucson and Nogales are in both Spanish and English (and the metric system is also used) so exceptions are made (in that example, for tourists primarily).

Getting back to the original post...

There are quite a few radio stations in the U.S. where the DJs speak English with a slight Latin accent, usually on Top 40 and Rhythmic stations. It isn't required. But the management is trying to aim at English-dominant Hispanics. So the DJs are likely people of Latin background.

In NYC, the morning host at the CBS Top 40 station WBMP, Shoboy, had been the host on a CBS Regional Mexican station in Dallas. On that show he spoke Spanish. Now he's speaking English, with a slight accent. When he does some comedic characters, he turns up the accent. I'm sure those who listen to stations such as WPOW Miami, KPWR Los Angeles, and other English-language stations with large Latino audiences, will hear Hispanic accents among the DJ staff.

It's hard to speak English, especially if the person arrives as an adult. You can pretty much trace when the person arrived by the accent. If they came before kindergarten, they likely have no accent. Coming to America in grade school, there'll be a slight accent. After that, they'll likely have an obvious accent all their lives.

I think Americans' impatience with foreigners speaking other languages or having accents is confused with not being smart or not trying. It's not a matter of intelligence. If you say to yourself, I learned to speak English and it wasn't that hard, remember that all humans learned to speak the language of their parents and community, no matter how complex. But learning a language as an adult is very difficult. And English is among the harder languages due to so many irregular verbs, odd spellings and the influence of so many different languages on English, each with its own set of differing rules.

Then there's the embarrassment factor. If I try and get it wrong, or can't remember the English word I want to say, I'll feel foolish. I know Spanish pretty well but when I'm on the spot trying to talk to someone when visiting a Spanish-speaking country, I know that's how I feel. I follow some of the conversation but then miss a few key words and I'm lost. If I suddenly found myself living in San Juan or Mexico City, I'm sure I'd get better at it but never feel totally at home in it.
    Last edited by Gregg.; 03-10-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12