• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When did MOR accept "rock and roll"?

That's how I remember hitbounds being treated on sister station WRKO as well, but I can't recall any of that station's jocks ever badmouthing a record, hit or stiff.

You probably never heard the jocks at WRKO read the PD's memos on the air, either. Or heard the midday jock's scripted jokes read by the morning jock in as unfunny a way as possible just before the midday jock was about to go on the air. Or go on the air as a stoned FM jock ("The Hamster"---a parody of KRLA's Jimmy Rabbitt) when the midday jock was late for his shift, and get the call letters wrong ("K-H.....L") until they could get someone in there.

But that was Robert W. Morgan. They would have fired anybody else.

QUOTE "It's a myth that all the old jocks "loved the music". A lot of them hated it."

That made me think of an old Carol Burnett skit where Harvey Korman played a Wolfman Jack-type DJ called "The Sheepman". The Pointer Sisters were that week's guests (this was in their retro-40s incarnation before "Fire", ""He's So Shy", etc.) and they played a similar group who were in-studio guests of The Sheepman. He proceeded to make fun of their dated sound and style, until he entered a commercial break. Once the mic was off, he began heaping praise on their music and telling them, "I detest most of the trash I play!" Of course, they turned the tables on him, informing him that they hated the old stuff they sang and were into modern music.

I remember back in 1983 when Bananarama did a cover of Steam's "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" Morning man Bruce Bowie of 630 CHED in Edmonton hated that version of it and called it wimpy after playing it on the air. He then played the original, and for a week there was an on air discussion about why the remake was wimpy during the morning show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom