• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WILC 900AM simulcasting 1540 WACA

broadcastguy

Frequent Participant
http://washingtonhispanic.com/website-anterior/nota21346.html

Current owner of Radio America 1540, Alejandro Carrasco returns to WILC 900 AM.

Interviewed by Washington Hispanic he said that the name of "America" will serve to both frequencies: Latin America 1540 AM and 900 AM. "Undoubtedly it will reach more listeners and will serve more sectors of the Latin community, which for a lack of space in the 1540 AM in some cases and in other coverage, could not do," he said.

Regarding the format, he said that the 900 AM will have a varied format "with some music, sports programs, educational programs, religious, ethnic, professional and, of course, the broadcast of the morning show "Warming the Morning".

Looks like the older Hispanic demo will have another AM to listen to their immigration lawyers and preachers... :confused:

I'd like to see one of these stations go to a unique English-language format. We have enough Spanish-speaking stations in the Washington area, we could use fewer; especially when you consider most of said listeners are tuning into El Zol 107.9.

I'd like to see one of these stations go to a unique English-language format. We have enough Spanish-speaking stations in the Washington area, we could use fewer; especially when you consider most of said listeners are tuning into El Zol 107.9.

But just as Zol has its listener base, there likely more Spanish speakers who don't like the format as those who do.

But just as Zol has its listener base, there likely more Spanish speakers who don't like the format as those who do.

Exactly! I don't think older listeners would enjoy the Spanglish mix that El Zol and La Nueva make mixing artists like Pitbull, Daddy Yankee and Gente de Zona with Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber and Drake, they are more on the Gloria Estefan/ Alberto Plaza/ Juan Luis Guerra/ Gilberto Santa Rosa side and most of the time they barely speak English.

Exactly! I don't think older listeners would enjoy the Spanglish mix that El Zol and La Nueva make mixing artists like Pitbull, Daddy Yankee and Gente de Zona with Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber and Drake, they are more on the Gloria Estefan/ Alberto Plaza/ Juan Luis Guerra/ Gilberto Santa Rosa side and most of the time they barely speak English.
The fact of the matter is that here in the Washington area, you have the following signals serving the Hispanic community: 700, 730, 900, 920, 1030 (religion), 1050, 1120 (most of the time), 1390, 1460, 1480 (religion), 1540 and 1600! Any way you look at it, that's a bit ludicrous. I could see MAYBE half a dozen AMs - NOT a dozen!!!

The fact of the matter is that here in the Washington area, you have the following signals serving the Hispanic community: 700, 730, 900, 920, 1030 (religion), 1050, 1120 (most of the time), 1390, 1460, 1480 (religion), 1540 and 1600! Any way you look at it, that's a bit ludicrous. I could see MAYBE half a dozen AMs - NOT a dozen!!!

Obviously those stations on AM make money or at least they think they can. And thy probably can't in any other format option. But the fact is that Hispanics like using AM even less than non-HISPANIC whites, so most of those signals are very marginal producers with little audience.

For example, in LA where there are about 30 shares for Spanish language radio in 18-34, less than one share goes to the AM stations.

What's a unique English-language format the area could use and make money? Up until WNEW's flip I might have said business news/talk, a format that's been on quite a few area frequencies and never hung around. Sports is very well covered, so is right wing news/talk. CBS' 1580 tried to take on Federal News Radio and crashed pretty quick. Does the DC area need more religious stations?

If the idea is music, AM in the DC area is a non starter and oldies/standards has the wrong demographic. I'm not sure what a station is to do besides anything that will bring in any income! Seems to me AM 900 is doing just that for the time being.

Hello Haters!!! Last time I checked this is a free country, FYI "yes" we are American citizens that love this country, that pay taxes, create jobs, that speak Spanish and like to listen news in Spanish...and perhaps some soft music too..."yes" both stations are Hispanic owned and operated, "yes" we are making money, but most importantly "yes" we are serving our Hispanic community assimilate to this country, enticing them to learn the language and abide by the law, etc...if you want an "all English format" feel free to retain a lawyer, I will recommend mine at "Patton-Boggs" apply for a license at the the FCC, get the loans, an buy a station...just like we did!
Love & peace,
AM DIVA :)

I don't have any problem with any format with the local radio stations. I have to thank Apple and strema Media that they come out with Tunein radio and simple radio on the smarth phones and I don't have to deal with any mediocre programing that is play on Washington DC radio stations.

I don't have any problem with any format with the local radio stations. I have to thank Apple and strema Media that they come out with Tunein radio and simple radio on the smarth phones and I don't have to deal with any mediocre programing that is play on Washington DC radio stations.

By your user name I guess you're from Argentina?

Catholic Radio.

http://washingtonhispanic.com/website-anterior/nota21346.html

Current owner of Radio America 1540, Alejandro Carrasco returns to WILC 900 AM.

Interviewed by Washington Hispanic he said that the name of "America" will serve to both frequencies: Latin America 1540 AM and 900 AM. "Undoubtedly it will reach more listeners and will serve more sectors of the Latin community, which for a lack of space in the 1540 AM in some cases and in other coverage, could not do," he said.

Regarding the format, he said that the 900 AM will have a varied format "with some music, sports programs, educational programs, religious, ethnic, professional and, of course, the broadcast of the morning show "Warming the Morning".

Looks like the older Hispanic demo will have another AM to listen to their immigration lawyers and preachers... :confused:
I would like to congratulate Alex in his smart decision of left Padre Roberto Cortez 1540am and Keep 900am for his own buissness. Now we have for the first time a Catholic Radio Station in the area in Spanish because the Protestant have one of their own in Spanish Radio Poder 1030 + Wust 1120am and some night programs in Radio Unida 920am. this will balance in a way the quote of religiuos programs in the area.

I would like to congratulate Alex in his smart decision of left Padre Roberto Cortez 1540am and Keep 900am for his own buissness. Now we have for the first time a Catholic Radio Station in the area in Spanish because the Protestant have one of their own in Spanish Radio Poder 1030 + Wust 1120am and some night programs in Radio Unida 920am. this will balance in a way the quote of religiuos programs in the area.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom