• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Recognize this software? Please help

Desktopgrass

New Participating Member
I have not been on the air since the early 90s. I have an interview soon and im trying to identify the software in a picture from the station's website.

Do you know the name of this software? In general, what is the proper term for such software?
Thanks2016-02-12_23.16.25.jpg

It's obviously the on-air automation software, although I can't determine which specific program.

If you just refer to it as "the automation" in your interview you'll be fine. No one's going to expect specifics.

Thanks. I thought that to be the correct term.
What is the learning curve on such software? Im not a computer expert but i have built an online broadcast and i am familiar with audio editing software.

Thanks. I thought that to be the correct term.
What is the learning curve on such software? Im not a computer expert but i have built an online broadcast and i am familiar with audio editing software.

The screen is a Scott Studios install. The monitor is touch screen, and it looks like lots of burgers and fries were consumed while using it. Ugggh.

Learning curve to using it on air is relatively quick if you are doing a live assist airshift. For voice tracking, takes a few more steps to learn how to record and insert voice pieces. Ditto for pproduction of spots and promos The rest is mostly an engineering issue.

Generally, the station produces a music log and a traffic log (commercials) in function specific software such as Selector and Marketron, and loads both into the automation where they are merged and played.

Is this the software the announcer would interact with when doing a show. What other modern studio equipment and/or software should I be able to at least talk about during the interview. In other shots of this stations studios I saw voxpro software and an instant replay device.

Is this the software the announcer would interact with when doing a show. What other modern studio equipment and/or software should I be able to at least talk about during the interview. In other shots of this stations studios I saw voxpro software and an instant replay device.

You can familiarize yourself with NextGen, Zetta, Audio Vault and Wide Orbit by searching online. Those are 4 of the major pieces of audio storage and playback software in use at stations. All do the same thing but in slightly different manners. Scott Studios, still in use, is superseded by Wide Orbit.

VoxPro is a mini-system to record bits, drops, phoners and promos and play them back at the push of a button on the air in live shows (or in the production of a recorded show) and is used as a studio input just like a CD player or a microphone. The ShortCut is another similar device, but is basically a push-button operated storage device for playback and not for recording complex audio.

Adobe Audition and ProTools are software for the production department to use to make commercials, promos, etc., which are fed into the automation system.

In live or live assist shows, the automation is just another input to the board (or "mixer" to some) which is controlled by the on-air announcer or talent.

You might invest in the most recent edition of Keith's "The Radio Station" which is a great way of familiarizing oneself with all areas of station operations, not just the ones of their own specialty.

For Zetta and the older NextGen, go to RCS's site; http://www.rcsworks.com/en/products/zetta/

RCS also provides one of the industry's most used music scheduling software systems, Selector. You can see how music scheduling works and how music logs are exported to the automation system.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom