• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rumba In Tampa

I found this in the daily domains in RadioInsight, but I don'the know what it is, because it's for subscribers only. Anynody knows which station is affected? It could be iHeart or Beasley, I don't know what specific station is affected.

I think nobody knows which stations might be affected, because it's subscription only... Also, I typed my last thread in a mobile phone, so it takes longer. I want to know though. I don't know if it's a new Rumba Station on AM or FM or it's going to be in the current Spanish Station 92.5 FM.

I just found out that WCTQ is switching frequencies to it's old 92.1 FM. A Rumba station is coming for Tampa in 106.5 and IDK how that will affect the 5 FM station limit, iHeart must do something, although it will interfere adjacent sister station WXXL XL 106.7 in Orlando. Since WCTQ was in 2nd, this is a station "suicide" as it's also listenable in St. Pete.

WCTQ isn't a suicide because it never cared about St. Pete and never actively sold there. It was a Sarasota station and will still be a Sarasota station. It will, most likely, continue to do well.

As for how 106.5 factors into the five station limit for iHeart, it doesn't. 106.5 is licensed to a community in the Sarasota market and will count against iHeart's total in Sarasota, not Tampa.

I wouldn't be surprised if "Rumba" is actually meant to replace "Thunder Across The Bay" now that WBRN has entered the Mainstream/Classic Rock arena.

IHeart uses the Rumba moniker in Orlando, so that may be a clue....

Last edited:
That video was quickly marked private, it appears.

Byron

It was a 30 second video commercial promoting Rumba 106.5 Tampa. Same Rumba logo as Orlando with the frequency as 1065. It also had a few clips of artist music videos.

Why would some part-time jock have access to that information and promo, and why would iHeart allow that to be leaked to subordinates?

Was there a mention of what date 106.5 format is going to change? I'm assuming since they are licensed to Sarasota, the will keep the same tower location (Snead Island/Palmett) and same ERP of 13,000 watts? They get a lot out of that 13,000 watts, solid signal in south Pinellas and as I travel up I-275 northbound, it's solid until just north of Bearss Ave not sure how solid i the signa isl toward Brandon and Plant City. Even though as mentioned previously, currently as WCTQ country they don't care about Pinellas, but south Pinellas cares about them, I have been in several businesses playing WCTQ, including the garage I go to...... Why WCTQ instead of one of the Tampa market stations...... I don't know.

Was there a mention of what date 106.5 format is going to change? I'm assuming since they are licensed to Sarasota, the will keep the same tower location (Snead Island/Palmett) and same ERP of 13,000 watts? They get a lot out of that 13,000 watts, solid signal in south Pinellas and as I travel up I-275 northbound, it's solid until just north of Bearss Ave not sure how solid i the signa isl toward Brandon and Plant City. Even though as mentioned previously, currently as WCTQ country they don't care about Pinellas, but south Pinellas cares about them, I have been in several businesses playing WCTQ, including the garage I go to...... Why WCTQ instead of one of the Tampa market stations...... I don't know.

They usually never mention an exact date of launch, as they like to catch the competition with their pants down. However, I think that Gaby Calderon employee just threw that idea out the window, LOL!!!

My guess is that since it's an election year, and the Hispanic vote is so important that they want to take an underperforming station and use it a rimshot into market number 19.

Their Tampa Market stations are all performing well in other formats. Beasley can only pull a 3.0 share and they are basically in the market by themselves, so it doesn't make sense to blow up an in-market station just to take a chunk out of the WYUU pie and get a 1.5-1.8.

I think 106.5 is actually drivable in Brandon. I heard it once in someone's car and it was not too bad. It may be a little bit better than 97.1 for comparison.

According to radio locator, WCTQ and WLTQ have traded format and call letters, so it appears 106.5 has already taken the WLTQ call sign and adult contemporary format, even if only as a temporary place-holder until IHeart is ready to launch Rumba on 106.5.

According to radio locator, WCTQ and WLTQ have traded format and call letters, so it appears 106.5 has already taken the WLTQ call sign and adult contemporary format, even if only as a temporary place-holder until IHeart is ready to launch Rumba on 106.5.

When I left Saint Petersburg late this Saturday afternoon, WCTQ was still broadcasting their country music format, but the RDS display on 106.5 shows WCTQ 92.1 as 106.5 simulcasts 92.1 with inserts several times an hour reminding listeners to change their WCTQ preset to 92.1 , after 5PM today as I headed north, I lost the WCTQ signal, so for all I know Radio-locator may now be right and 106.5 may very well be broadcasting a placeholder format since late this afternoon. 106.5HD2 is still another country format and 106.5 is Classic Rock WTZB 105.9 (as 105.9 also as mentioned previously has a translator is West Bradenton on 105.1 )

Last edited:
My guess is that since it's an election year, and the Hispanic vote is so important that they want to take an underperforming station and use it a rimshot into market number 19.
End Quote

Under performing....... that made my drink shoot out of my nose. Thanks

IMO 106.5 has been a well programmed station, more so that it's sister stations in Tampa. Well programmed to the point where they were a preset on my radios as Oldies 106 and when they switched to country I stayed with them.

Good morning drive shows under both formats and a good clean stereo signal.

End Quote

Under performing....... that made my drink shoot out of my nose. Thanks

In iHeart's eyes it could be underperforming. You don't know that.

Apparently it is not performing enough to avoid a format flip and become a rimshot.

Rumba 106.5 website is now live at http://rumba1065.com/.

IMO 106.5 has been a well programmed station, more so that it's sister stations in Tampa. Well programmed to the point where they were a preset on my radios as Oldies 106 and when they switched to country I stayed with them.

Good morning drive shows under both formats and a good clean stereo signal.

I appreciate the processing compliments,

Here from Riverview, it sounds like the format has changed over as well.

Byron

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom