• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Translator Granted for nearby AM

Wow. That's really close to KKAJ in Ardmore. I always got a clear signal from KKAJ here in the metroplex until a translator came on the air here recently.

KKAJ really blankets that area around Bonham. (I grew up nearby.)

It is pretty close spaced, but KKAJ is nowhere near where it used to be ever since they got pushed out of the way by KFWR.
I suspect KKAJ and KITX will prove to be problematic once tropoduction starts coming into the picture.

KKAJ's still pretty strong here in the metroplex--at least the northern part. It still knocks out the LPFM (I misspoke and said translator before) frequently. As of last summer, I could listen on a regular basis.

But yeah, I just looked at their coverage map and Bonham really isn't in their intended signal area. I guess the metro coverage is just a fluke.

KKAJ has always had a good time skipping into the Metroplex, especially from their old site. WACO 99.9 (Sometimes KLUR) is the only other one I can think of that makes a near daily appearance into the area.

The 95.7 LPFM licensed to Sachse is on the air. Licensed to a hispanic religious congregation it obviously is programs to it/for it. Their tower is a good distance from Sachse and for a so called LPFM they get out really well, especially since the illegal 95.9 hispanic religious translator in Garland is right next door. I wonder if they've filed complaints against each other yet?

The 95.7 LPFM licensed to Sachse is on the air. Licensed to a hispanic religious congregation it obviously is programs to it/for it. Their tower is a good distance from Sachse and for a so called LPFM they get out really well, especially since the illegal 95.9 hispanic religious translator in Garland is right next door. I wonder if they've filed complaints against each other yet?

LOL, you think they really want to open THAT can of worms?
Could you imagine the field day that inspecting agent would have, if the FCC had a quota to meet he would likely exceed it enough for everyone.

Close enough for government work.

By the way, as of yesterday, the 101.3 translator was not up and running yet.

Hey Liberty, I tried to listen to the station in your signature, Retro Radio, but it doesn't work. No stream's connected.

KFYN's stream is there but it doesn't sound that great. It's really tinny and low quality.

Hey Liberty, I tried to listen to the station in your signature, Retro Radio, but it doesn't work. No stream's connected.

KFYN's stream is there but it doesn't sound that great. It's really tinny and low quality.

Retro Radio and my other stations are off while I rebuild the home studio. KFYN's stream is a low 32 kbps MP3 and is fed directly off their Optimod 9000A, so its meant to feed an AM transmitter. I suspect when they sign the FM on they'll feed it with an FM radio.

Last edited:
Oh, okay. Good luck with the studio!

I hope KFYN isn't using the 32 KBPS MP3 to feed their transmitter. If the bit rate is that low the audio won't sound as good as 64 or 128.

Oh, okay. Good luck with the studio!

I hope KFYN isn't using the 32 KBPS MP3 to feed their transmitter. If the bit rate is that low the audio won't sound as good as 64 or 128.

Half my studio is back up, KDSX Signed back on late last week. Still have more work to do as the inovonics gets repaired and getting the AM Stereo (Retro Radio) side of things back up and running.

KFYN uses an analog Marti STL.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom