• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New to the US

Hi to all, I've been around here reading the forum for a while and I really enjoy it and always learn new things about broadcasting in the US, today I have to ask for some advice from the most experienced.

Last year me and my wife moved to the US for her to make her PhD which is fantastic and we are very happy with that.
I worked in radio broadcasting all my life, since the first time I went to a station I knew I wanted to make a career in broadcast... And I did. Since 2005 I've been working in major stations in my country, started as a board operator during weekends (I guess that's the way we all make our way into broadcasting), then I made some on air shifts, then an actual Monday - Friday shift and I ended up as General Manager assist. In all that process I gained experience and I did quite a few things from music director in two major FM's (mostly Adult Contemporary and TOP40) to train people to go on air, assign shifts, attend meetings with commercial and marketing departments to define goals for the semester, configure hardware (from a production PC to the Orban audio processor) and software (from installing an OS to backing up the automation database) so I can say I play well in almost every position.

I love radio and I'm always listening to everything, I consider myself like a radio guy and I can't think of me in another place other than a radio station. I'm usually the first to arrive and the last to go home. I like to play to win and I like my people to be motivated to do so.

The thing is, here, in the US I'm literally nobody, nobody knows me and I don't know nobody either, plus having to be sponsored with a job visa I know I'm not the most attractive candidate, the only contact I have with broadcasting at this time is volunteering at the University station with a Latin oriented weekly show (I'm from Latin America) but it's once a week and late, very late.

So if you took the time to read until here, maybe you can guide me a little bit... What should I do? I would really appreciate any guidance you could give me as I'm literally at point zero at this time.

I'd hope David E. on here might give you a few pointers. He was in a reverse situation as you (a US radio "geek" working for Central/South American stations as a young'un). He ended up owning several foreign stations and to this day does a lot of work with Spanish-language radio. Not bad for a kid from suburban Cleveland, OH!

My sugestion would be going to various stations and offer your services for free as an intern. It sounds like you know a good bit about radio and have a strong command of English (lots of folks in broadcasting here lack both of those), so it will show when you talk to these folks.

Also, from what I remember when I was working in commercial radio, radio folks LOVE to eat out for lunch. In today's world, it may be tough to get a GM or program director to spend much more than 5 minutes chatting with you unless it's worth their while. Offer to pay for the PD's lunch in exchange for a talk about the radio industry (be prepared to hear a lot of bitterness in many cases -- the last 10 years have been difficult in the business of US radio). If the PD thinks you have a good head on you, willing to start off working for free/cheap, and aren't one of the creepy radio station "groupies" just looking to date a DJ or get prizes, you have a good shot of something happening within buying a few lunches.

Just remember to be persistent! You are honest with yourself by saying it will be tough to get a good job in radio because of visa rules...true, but that's only half of it (and it can be worked around legally in several ways). Since consolidation of station ownership, computer automation, changes in society and how we expect our audio delivered, along with the power of the internet, there are leagues of decent radio personalities all around in the States that are laid-off and still looking for their next radio job. To make yourself more of a potential job prospect, you need to provide the person(s) doing the hiring something that will help you stand above the rest and bring something to their table. If you genuinely feel you have absolutely nothing unique over a 20-year radio veteran who's out-of-work, remember that you can do some intern work for free/low cost. It bites, but it shows hard work and a willingness to be flexible to someone who could be your future boss!

Radio-X

Last edited:
Radio-X, thanks for your advice, I'll try to do that! I know is not easy, radio is not easy even when you play local, can't imagine all that I'll have to go through. Sometimes I think if I'm doing the correct thing but then I realize that good things take time and effort, so I don't rush.

I've been searching about the legal thing and while it's possible, it's another extra obstacle I have to overcome against other individuals trying to break into broadcast, not afraid of doing it, I'm not gonna be the first, nor the last.

Interesting what you say about inviting a PD for lunch (honestly I can't figure out how to do that without looking like a weirdo but I'll try haha!).

I'm not afraid of working, especially if it's something I love, I'm used to to nights, weekends, holidays, storms, etc.. Our job is a public service and in some way is like being a cop or a firefighter, you HAVE to be there.

When I was younger a girlfriend I used to have was always complaining about me making weekend and night shifts and how we weren't able to go to the movies or whatever, I remember telling her "well, when we first met you already knew my twisted schedule at work, if you want somebody that makes a 9 to 5 shift that's not me, look for a banker or so". Guess she did that, lol!

I always read David Eduardo's always interesting postings, seems like a guy that's been around for quite some time, that sweats radio and knows what he is talking about, would like to hear about his experience and maybe some advice too.

Again, thanks for your advice Radio-X!

If I might chime in, I would suggest as making as many contacts as you possibly can. In my instance it was not my level of talent or experience that earned me positions as much as being at the right place at the right time. The more you contact, the better the opportunity you can place yourself in that position of being at the right place at that very moment the station needs your help and you are the quickest and easiest fix for the problem.

I learned of one job through a guy I worked with in a small town station. He personally knew the guy that had been hired as the Program Director in a rated market (well below the top 100 markets). In fact, I was simply the better applicant of the remainder that had applied so I was hired for overnights. Here is how being at the right place at the right time worked for me: As my shift ended and my Program Director was giving me some pointers, the 6pm to 10pm jock called in sick. While still on the phone with him, the Program Director looks at me and says "I need you to work 6 to 10 tonight". During that shift that evening at a station gathering, something happened resulting in several people getting fired. Then the General Manager called me about 9 that evening, while I was covering the sick DJ's shift and asked me to work 6 to 10 in the morning. After the shift the next morning was a staff meeting. I was kept on mornings and became the Music Director. I was the least experienced on the staff. So, why put me on morning drive and make me music director? My Program Director said my attitude was why. He felt I was the most likely to follow his direction without argument. It was true all the other jocks had about the same if not more experience than the new Program Director, so my inexperience served me well and quite frankly, my drive and attitude had me carrying my weight as I was a willing learner. His daily aircheck sessions sure helped get me up to speed.

In fact, I never would have become the GM of the station I currently work had it not been for a friend telling me the station needed someone to do sales. My friend talked me up and I was hired on the spot. I might just be lucky but maybe it has more to do with making lots of contacts.

Last edited:
Thanks b-turner! On my early teenage days I just used to go to a station, rang the bell and asked if I could visit the studios, in most cases I was more than welcome, guess on that days people felt proud of their place and everything was more "familiar", nowadays going to a station without knowing anybody and making some kind of contact is quite hard (especially when you have ZERO background in the country) but I'll give it a try!

I agree that once you are somehow in and they know you, the key is to persist and "be there" just in case, like a Boy Scout, always ready.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom