• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will network daytime game show ever make a full comeback?

edward1978

Frequent Participant
Will network daytime game shows ever return to the way they were back in 70's and 80's, game shows on network daytime television other than The Price Is Right and Let's Make A Deal. I never got to watch any of the good game shows back in 80's because they were on while I was in school, and I had to settle for only TPIR since I had graduated from high school in 1996 until LMAD made it's premiere in 2009 and since then, the networks have been replacing soaps with stupid talk shows. Not having any network daytime game shows other than TPIR and LMAD and not getting to see other great game shows because of school is the reason why I hate talk shows with a passion. I want The Talk, The Chew, and the fourth hour of the Today with Kathie Lee and Hoda cancelled and ABC to get the timeslot that they gave to the affiliates for that blowhard Katie Couric's failed talk show back from the affiliates to make way for the return of game shows on network daytime television such as Press Your Luck, Password, Pyramid, Card Sharks, Sale of the Century and such. I tell you game show legends such as Mark Goodson, Bill Todman, Jack Berry, Dan Enright and other producers, hosts and annoucers all must be rolling in their graves. I want my network daytime game shows back ;(

Last edited:
Will network daytime game shows ever return to the way they were back in 70's and 80's, game shows on network daytime television other than The Price Is Right and Let's Make A Deal. I never got to watch any of the good game shows back in 80's because they were on while I was in school, and I had to settle for only TPIR since I had graduated from high school in 1996 until LMAD made it's premiere in 2009 and since then, the networks have been replacing soaps with stupid talk shows. Not having any network daytime game shows other than TPIR and LMAD and not getting to see other great game shows because of school is the reason why I hate talk shows with a passion. I want The Talk, The Chew, and the fourth hour of the Today with Kathie Lee and Hoda cancelled and ABC to get the timeslot that they gave to the affiliates for that blowhard Katie Couric's failed talk show back from the affiliates to make way for the return of game shows on network daytime television such as Press Your Luck, Password, Pyramid, Card Sharks, Sale of the Century and such. I tell you game show legends such as Mark Goodson, Bill Todman, Jack Berry, Dan Enright and other producers, hosts and annoucers all must be rolling in their graves. I want my network daytime game shows back ;(

The affiliates make more money from local news/feature shows and syndicated programming. They don't have to pay NBC, CBS, or ABC for something that only a relative handful of viewers care about. The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal must be exceptions in that they can garner enough viewers for CBS affiliates to pay the network to air them.

The affiliates make more money from local news/feature shows and syndicated programming. They don't have to pay NBC, CBS, or ABC for something that only a relative handful of viewers care about. The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal must be exceptions in that they can garner enough viewers for CBS affiliates to pay the network to air them.

Oh really? Is that all the affiliates care about is making more money off syndicated programming instead of bringing back something from my childhood that I never got to experience fully because of school. Really shows like The Talk, The Chew, and the fourth hour of Today with two of the most annoying women in television preventing anybody that had graduated from high school after 1991, and two game shows (TPIR and LMAD) is not enough. Why didn't network daytime game shows such as Super Password and Classic Concentration get nighttime syndicated versions, or the networks air soaps between 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM and game shows between 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM so that children can watch them after school, or the networks air game shows on the weekends where there is no school like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy had done for years. See this why I so badly want The Talk, The Chew, the fourth hour of today cancelled and ABC to get that timeslot once occupied by The Revolution back from the affiliates because even before all of those premiered, daytime television had had way to many talk and court shows. Please just for the sake of those that never got to see network daytime game shows in all of it's glory because of school.

Oh really? Is that all the affiliates care about is making more money off syndicated programming instead of bringing back something from my childhood that I never got to experience fully because of school. Really shows like The Talk, The Chew, and the fourth hour of Today with two of the most annoying women in television preventing anybody that had graduated from high school after 1991, and two game shows (TPIR and LMAD) is not enough. Why didn't network daytime game shows such as Super Password and Classic Concentration get nighttime syndicated versions, or the networks air soaps between 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM and game shows between 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM so that children can watch them after school, or the networks air game shows on the weekends where there is no school like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy had done for years. See this why I so badly want The Talk, The Chew, the fourth hour of today cancelled and ABC to get that timeslot once occupied by The Revolution back from the affiliates because even before all of those premiered, daytime television had had way to many talk and court shows. Please just for the sake of those that never got to see network daytime game shows in all of it's glory because of school.

Perhaps a subscription to the Game Show Network would work for you....if it is still around. Some of the diginets are showing old game shows as well, although they tend to be real old (1950's stuff).

The daytime soaps which were once the cash cows along with the game shows seem to be going the same way for the same reason.

Oh really? Is that all the affiliates care about is making more money off syndicated programming instead of bringing back something from my childhood that I never got to experience fully because of school.

In a word, yes.

In a sentence, what you missed as a kid means nothing compared to revenue.

In a word, yes.

In a sentence, what you missed as a kid means nothing compared to revenue.

You don't understand what a unique experience watching network daytime game shows were in all of it's glory. I did get to see the network daytime game shows when I first got the Game Show Network back in February 2000, but I can't stand the fact that GSN crunches the closing credits, for their baseless promos, instead of letting us see the parting gift fee plugs, seeing the credits or letting us hear "This is (annoucer's name here) speaking for (show's name here) a Mark Good Television Production". There is no other experience in watching television quite like getting to watch network daytime game shows with all the original commercials and network promos instead of the garbage that GSN puts in their place. I sure wish DirecTV would carry Buzzr but that is carried on subchannels of Fox owned stations and even if our local Fox affiliate which is WALA channel 10 in the Mobile/Pensacola market was to be one, I still wouldn't get buzzr because we have DirecTV and they don't carry subchannels. But still watching reruns of network daytime game shows on Buzzr would still be a far departure of getting to watch them first run. So this is why network daytime game shows needs to be brought back instead of garbage shows like The Talk because those that never got to experience network daytime game shows in all of it's greatness fully because of school including myself can finally do so, and have just TPIR and LMAD is not going to cut it, there needs to be at least seven or eight game shows on network daytime television most of them can be half-hour shows.

Oh really? Is that all the affiliates care about is making more money off syndicated programming instead of bringing back something from my childhood that I never got to experience fully because of school.

Commercial broadcasters, like other businesses, exist to make a profit. That is Job One, Two, Three, and Last, and there are zero exceptions to that rule.

This is not 1970. Stations have to pay the networks now, not the other way around, thanks to cable/satellite carriage fees that the networks want their cut of. If a network show doesn't get enough audience (read: ad dollars) for a station to bother paying for it, then it doesn't get aired. Period. The networks figured that out, and no longer air a full daytime schedule.

Our childhood favorite shows don't mean squat. In fact, because game shows cater to an older demo, I'm surprised CBS still airs the two they have.

Our childhood favorite shows don't mean squat. In fact, because game shows cater to an older demo, I'm surprised CBS still airs the two they have.

You brought to mind the type of game shows I was introduced to in the 50's. Most were question and answer type shows where the audience could play along with the contestants. Others, like "What's My Line" kept you interested by asking questions you already knew the answer to (although I never did figure out why the panelists were virtually unknown to those of us outside Noo Yawk). Some were outright entertainment like "Beat The Clock" and were good for many laughs. A very few were atrocious - "Queen For A Day" comes to mind where the matron with the worst sob story wins prizes. Never could figure that one out.

Today there are virtually none of those types left and that, in addition to the cost of programming issue, is probably why we will never see them again. And that's a shame.

You don't understand what a unique experience watching network daytime game shows were in all of it's glory.

I understand perfectly. I watched more than a few of those shows myself back in the day. But "back in the day" was 50-60 years ago, and that is a meaningless time period in 2016 other than on the ".2" rerun channels. But they show comedies and dramas, not game shows. Sorry, but Bill Cullen, Bud Colyer, Alan Ludden, and John Charles Daly are dead and gone. They are not coming back.

This is an interesting topic. Game shows actually do well, if your name is "Wheel", "Jeopardy", "Millionaire". All in syndication and the first two usually in prime access in most markets. True, the network offerings are few and far between with only CBS offering 2 hrs. of game shows daily. As for GSN, I'm sorry, but this cablenet was much better a decade ago when they offered a mix of newer and older shows. Today, it is almost entirely newer shows with a hideous version of "The Newlywed Game", and way too much "Family Feud". Granted, FF does garner ratings, but good grief, do we really need to see that show almost 24/7? They do run some older shows, early in the AM, but it isn't worth setting the DVR for. I would watch GSN much more if they ran old shows more often. But that is just me.

Last edited:
Today, it is almost entirely newer shows with a hideous version of "The Newlywed Game", and way too much "Family Feud". Granted, FF does garner ratings, but good grief, do we really need to see that show almost 24/7?

When people are tired of it, it will stop garnering ratings and its showings will be reduced. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet.

You don't understand what a unique experience watching network daytime game shows were in all of it's glory.

Don't make presumptions like that without knowing who you're talking to, Edward.

I'm 59 years old and grew up in that golden era of game shows, the 1960s.

I may have seen game shows in my life that you never heard of (I say "may" because I have no idea how old you are and will not make the same presumptive mistake as you). I miss them too. I had GSN back in its early days and I hated what it became. I have Buzzr now and my only complaint is that they have a too-short repeat cycle.

Having said that ... the era is long gone. There is more revenue in a daytime schedule full of talk shows. The industry follows the money.

Long paragraphs of your protests will not change anything. K?

P.S.: It was "Mark Goodson-Bill Todman", not "Mark Good".

Sorry, but Bill Cullen, Bud Colyer, Alan Ludden, and John Charles Daly are dead and gone.

But Wink Martindale is still alive ... at least he was when I saw him a couple of weeks ago. :)

As much as I'd like to see game shows make a comeback in the daytime, I know it's not happening. Your best chances for seeing classic game shows is if you're lucky enough to live in an area where Buzzr is available, what little is still on GSN in the mornings, and You Tube. Wink Martindale has a channel there at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wink's+vault, and there is also https://www.youtube.com/user/MatchGameProductions with A lot of Match Game episodes and clips, and there are plenty other videos available from other sources. If you do a search on the name of a show there's a chance you can find something on it.

The decline of game shows on daytime TV began in the late 70's and early 80's when soaps expanded to an hour and when local stations started pre-empting network shows for syndicated talk shows, especially on NBC stations, who caved in to the local stations the worst.

To me the celebrity talk shows like Kelly and Michael and Ellen, although I don't watch them, aren't as bad as the trash talk shows like Springer and Maury, or the courtroom shows which I would want to see go away completely. But I don't think that the "golden era" of daytime game shows will ever happen again.

Last edited:
I looked up 'let's make a deal' and found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVaSQHXM1_0

Do they give the audience something before they come on? How does anyone watch that for more than 30 seconds and stay sane? I managed 3 minutes before the men in white coats were called- but the doctors think I should make a full recovery :D

I do miss 'Wheel of Fortune', 'Sale of the Century' and especially 'Jeopardy' though. I occasionally watch an episode on youtube

Last edited:
I really don't know why the networks would air daytime game shows while children were in school, why couldn't the networks air game show between 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM and air all the soaps while kids were in school, I would not have to beg my parents to let me stay home from school so that I can watch all of my favorite game shows, knowing that the only time that I would ever get to watch them was during summer vacation or whenever school was out for a holiday, and that's why I want more network daytime game shows other than TPIR and LMAD. Whenit comes to wanting network daytime game shows back, one show stands alone as being the bastion of keeping kids away from watching network daytime game shows and replacing them with lame talk shows in the early 90's stint and that show is none other than The New Price Is Right 1994, the one hosted by Doug Davidson. It was the only version of TPIR that I got to see fully when I was in school, I didn't like how they did the Showcase Showdown with The Price Was Right, although it was nice to see all those old TV commercials from the 50's and 60's but it is nothing compared to the big wheel, and playing the Range Game as the Showcase dosen't do and good. So I really don't know why kids can't watch any network daytime game shows because of school.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom