• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hip-Hop Version of "Dark Horse" by Katy Perry f/ Juicy J on KMGL

andrewduong77

Frequent Participant
"Dark Horse" is a little over two years old and it had been on AC for quite a time. Just now, early in the morning, KMGL aired "Dark Horse" with the Hip-Hop part included. KMGL is like the only AC I knew off the top of my head that plays the hip-hop version of "Dark Horse" ever since the song made it on AC. Other AC like KVIL, KCKC, and WLTW plays the non-hip-hop version of "Dark Horse".

The song is a little over two years old and KMGL just started adding it which is weird because KMGL isn't slow at adding Katy's songs. When "Roar" was released in August 2013, KMGL already had it spinning around 12 per week in September 2013 and usually Top 40 songs like that don't make it to AC half-a-year or a year later usually. For some reason, KMGL delayed the add for "Dark Horse" two years after it had been charted on AC and they played the hip-hop version instead unlike most AC.

The song has tested well. The hip hop version is sedate, and really has no problem fitting in with the format. It is just the matter of a programmers choice. As I told someone the other day, today's AC format is not your parents AC.

Mix 98.7 Jackson first started playing the version with the rap (just like they did with Blurred Lines), but later converted to the rapless version.

This is the closest I can come to a related topic. After a problem with my radio earlier this week which I was afraid would turn out to be a serious electrical problem after my car stalled, I ended up on the wrong station this morning and when I pushed yet another wrong button, the station was iHeart's WMAG Greensboro NC. Nothing wrong with Chaka Khan's "I Feel for You" on AC, but the introduction? "Chaka Khan. Chaka Khan ... Let me rock you Chaka Khan."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom