• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hannity's voice on WOR sounds different than WABC

TTalkradio1

Leading Participant
I listened to Hannity the other day. I hadn't listened to him in a while. His voice sounds more robotic on WOR than it did on WABC.

Could your location be getting interference on WOR that wasn't present on WABC relative to your location since the transmitters are in different places?

I don't listen on WOR but haven't discerned a difference in his voice from before he moved there on the station I listen to him on.

I listened to Hannity the other day. I hadn't listened to him in a while. His voice sounds more robotic on WOR than it did on WABC.

WOR has limited high and at approx 4.5KHZ due to IBOC implementation.

But look, its the same propaganda feeding the same geriatric listener. In late 2002 when WOR introduced IBOC there was some controversy in engineering circles as to what effect this limited bandwidth would have on the listener base. Bottom line: No complaints. Their listeners probably can't hear that high anymore-anyway.

LCG

But look, its the same propaganda feeding the same geriatric listener. In late 2002 when WOR introduced IBOC there was some controversy in engineering circles as to what effect this limited bandwidth would have on the listener base. Bottom line: No complaints. Their listeners probably can't hear that high anymore-anyway.

LCG

Other than the classical and, maybe, the jazz listener, is audio quality really a factor in station popularity anymore? There's now an entire generation of listeners who think what they hear on an mp3 player is good audio, so what's the point of even considering what the audiophile wants in a signal?

IIRC, Tom Ray who implemented the HD installation at WOR was using his own implementation based on a 6 kHz rolloff.

In any case, most AM sections of today's radios don't go much over 5 kHz so it does not make much difference.

The bottom line is the average listener is not concerned about audio quality. I heard a talk station on the road that has the local rejoin liners that are too low. Do I notice it.. yes, does the listener... no. Or, slight distortion in the local liners on one or our Delilah affiliates (we have 3 that reach the market -go figure). One major company is rumored to have most of their library at 256K mp3 quality. For us, it is tech stuff. For the listener, they just want to listen.

The I-Heart stations here in Hartford suck in terms of audio quality. Rachel Lutzker does traffic for all the stations and playback on all the stations sound like a bad internet connection. WPOP 1410 simulcasts The Vinnie Penn Project from their New Haven sister station WELI 960 and it too sounds like a bad internet connection.

Most people don't own high end radios. If you're listening in the car or on the bathroom radio while you take a shower, the audio quality isn't really that important. The only thing that annoys me sometimes is when certain stations seem to have a lower volume level than others, so then I have to keep adjusting the volume knob if I'm flipping through the stations.

Most people don't own high end radios. If you're listening in the car or on the bathroom radio while you take a shower, the audio quality isn't really that important. The only thing that annoys me sometimes is when certain stations seem to have a lower volume level than others, so then I have to keep adjusting the volume knob if I'm flipping through the stations.

The volume levels on SiriusXM's promos and commercials are all over the lot. It's especially noticeable when they're filling a long break during TV simulcasts or halftime in soccer matches.

Oh, and there's absolutely nothing worse than the hackwork SXM channel/event promos -- annoying bed "music", lots of phasing and splicing on the voiceovers, stereotypical use of voice talent (men with heavy African-American accents when promoting jazz, the NBA or urban talk, white guys talking artificially low, gruff and aggressive promoting NFL or MMA/boxing, hardly any female voices promoting anything). For some reason, the hacks there seem to think compressing a voice down to phone-line quality is a catchy sound effect. It's not. It's just gimmicky, and '90s gimmicky at that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom