• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seven stations off the air this morning

D

dand5780

WGR, WKSE, WWWS, WBEN, WLKK, WWKB, WTSS all off the air from about 6am-7:30 am.

Can't tell you what was said when they came back or the post may be deleted.

But Star 102.5 came back on first, but only lasted about a minute before going off again. All stations came back on about 10 minutes after that.

WGR, WKSE, WWWS, WBEN, WLKK, WWKB, WTSS all off the air from about 6am-7:30 am.

Can't tell you what was said when they came back or the post may be deleted.

But Star 102.5 came back on first, but only lasted about a minute before going off again. All stations came back on about 10 minutes after that.

So what you mean is that the Entercom cluster had some kind of catastrophic failure at that time that knocked all the stations off the air simultaneously.

So what you mean is that the Entercom cluster had some kind of catastrophic failure at that time that knocked all the stations off the air simultaneously.

That's impossible.

The GM spent a nice chunk of change to have a great backup system in place just in case....oh wait....nevermind.

I guess occasionally losing all that AM drive revenue across the cluster, not to mention letting down the collective audience, doesn't compare to the $avings in the long run.

That's impossible.

Nothing in this area is impossible. Improbable or unlikely, but not impossible.

The GM spent a nice chunk of change to have a great backup system in place just in case....oh wait....nevermind.

I guess occasionally losing all that AM drive revenue across the cluster, not to mention letting down the collective audience, doesn't compare to the $avings in the long run.

There are sometimes events that go beyond the ability of a station to create emergency procedures and redundancy.

A lightning strike on the building. Fire sprinklers going off. A bomb threat.

And sometimes backups fail. The well maintained generator does not start is a good example.

It would be interesting to find out what happened in this case.

Nothing in this area is impossible. Improbable or unlikely, but not impossible.

There are sometimes events that go beyond the ability of a station to create emergency procedures and redundancy.

A lightning strike on the building. Fire sprinklers going off. A bomb threat.

And sometimes backups fail. The well maintained generator does not start is a good example.

It would be interesting to find out what happened in this case.

I was alluding to a not-so-well-kept secret that the cluster's GM neglected to establish a proper backup for the sake of saving money...and it has backfired several times in recent years.

I don't know what type of equipment is needed to run a station or seven, but a simple solution would be to have two locations instead of one.

I don't know what type of equipment is needed to run a station or seven, but a simple solution would be to have two locations instead of one.

I'm sure there must be exceptions to the rule, but I do not know of any. And a few stations historically have had dual studios to comply with license issues. But studio redundancy is generally achieved with minimalist facilities at the transmitter site.

The cost of maintaining a second location that fully parallels the main one is way to extreme for a station to justify.

Often, if the studio location is down, the transmitters will shut off when there is lack of positive control as required. With today's IP driven solutions, generally a station engineer can take control of metering and turn on audio sources from even a smartphone, but sometimes getting the studios back online is more important than having some music from a hard drive played from the transmitter so the focus is on the problem, not fill music.

Tell you what: pick up the phone, call 716-843-0600 and ask to speak with Greg Ried. Then report to the class what happened.

It was your idea. Why don't you do it?

I was simply trying to explain that no matter how prepared a station is, there will always be a few off air incidents that just can't be planned for.

I was alluding to a not-so-well-kept secret that the cluster's GM neglected to establish a proper backup for the sake of saving money...and it has backfired several times in recent years.

Gotcha. It's hard to read intended sarcasm, and I missed it in your post.

The cost of being off the air vs. the costs of redundancy and generators will likely be discussed at some level at that cluster. If all the spots could all be made good and they don't think the long-term effect on a 84-day ratings period was significant, they probably won't spend the money.

I'm sure there must be exceptions to the rule, but I do not know of any. And a few stations historically have had dual studios to comply with license issues. But studio redundancy is generally achieved with minimalist facilities at the transmitter site.

I guess what I meant was instead of having 7 stations in one building, have 3 in one and 4 in another.

Interesting. Considering that the radio station was available on-line, that would indicate that the studios were functioning. So, we're talking about routing between the studios and multiple transmitter locations. Seems to me like it wouldn't be that expensive to have backup equipment in place that would allow Internet connection between the studios and the transmitters. The quality for the AMs wouldn't be much different. The quality for the FMs would suffer, but morning drive doesn't play a lot of music anyway. I'd guess that an hour of AM drive revenue would pay for the necessary equipment for at least their big 3 stations. Sounds to me like somebody is being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Interesting. Considering that the radio station was available on-line, that would indicate that the studios were functioning. So, we're talking about routing between the studios and multiple transmitter locations. Seems to me like it wouldn't be that expensive to have backup equipment in place that would allow Internet connection between the studios and the transmitters. The quality for the AMs wouldn't be much different. The quality for the FMs would suffer, but morning drive doesn't play a lot of music anyway. I'd guess that an hour of AM drive revenue would pay for the necessary equipment for at least their big 3 stations. Sounds to me like somebody is being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

I'm guessing that the SAS router that has been a problem for years and played a small part in my leaving Entercom years ago was the point of failure. That audio router has been plagued with issues for years, including one time when it went randomly bats**t and routed WGR audio to all seven stations during drive time when Mike Schopp was telling a p*nis joke (or some such, I can't remember the details any longer). If the audio is wired the same way it was 6 years ago, then the streams don't go through that router, the audio is pulled directly from the studio in front of the EAS box.

That router bit me in the ass one time when work was being done to the Kiss transmitter and the route failed. About every tenth time you tried to change the route of the audio on that channel, it would fail. I did not know this at the time, and being somewhat OCD, I set it, tested it, then set it again for good measure. When the backup audio failed to come up, I was blamed for it and accused of sabotage because certain people at Entercom had issues with me personally. No need to sabotage anything when the company does things like lets roofs leak onto transmitters and into equipment racks for years, lets tower bases rot for a decade after the tower company tells them they are falling apart and dangerous, lets 250 kW generators run on 4 cylinders when they were warned about it months in advance but refused to fix, and lets the studio air conditioning fail and insists on three quotes before they will fix it when they were warned they had no backup and failure of the secondary would result in a disaster (all these things happened).

Radio was fun for years but now this is what it has come to.

I'm glad I'm out. And no I don't care if anyone from Entercom reads this. I know they will and I know they know who I am. There are lots of good people still there but Buffalo radio would be much better off if certain managers had chosen driving a bus as a career rather than trying to run a radio station. I don't think there's much of a difference in the skill level required to do either job, if history is any indication. Every time I hear one of these stories or read complaints about how bad the stations sound now, I just laugh, because everything went to hell after I left. Too bad bigotry and stupidity circumvented any appreciation for how much care, time, effort and overtime I put into taking care of that aging equipment for years. I got the last laugh.

Who's "we?" I don't even live in Buffalo, as everyone here knows.

Ah, unless I am mistaken and it was someone else, I thought you posted an ad for air talent for the cluster. No clue who you are and don't really care. And to answer your intimation, yes, I am laughing. It stung for a bit, but handing my keys and resignation letter to a certain station manager and director of engineering and walking out was the best career move I made in years, and hearing about all the struggles they've had engineering-wise since then just puts a smile on my face. Normally I'm not a vindictive person, but I made an exception in this case. Certain people deserve every headache they deal with and then some. I hadn't really even thought about the station much in a few years, but I stumbled on this forum by accident about a month ago while looking for something unrelated, so it's amusing to put my two cents in. And that's about what it's worth: Two cents. I don't take it seriously. This is my morning amusement. Beats listening to the radio :cool:

Ah, unless I am mistaken and it was someone else, I thought you posted an ad for air talent for the cluster.

I did. Obtained from the national website AllAccess. Anyone can do it from anywhere. The fact that I did means nothing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom