• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Advice for dealing with my mother

I've been living with my Mom since 2012. Hopefully by the end of the year I will have obtained a second job so I can get my own place. In the mean time I need advice for dealing with her.

I invited a friend to come over to watch a movie when he gets out of work at Midnite. (He still hasn't given me definitive answer). My mom tells me it's inappropriate to have a friend come over that late. She agreed for this one time only. Let me tell you why I'm inviting him over at Midnite. He works til Midnite 3 times a week and stays awake til around 5 or 6 in the morning. He has a hard time waking up early. (even when he has to be at work early).

Next I told her I'm serving nachos. Well my Mom says "You don't have to serve him anything. It's not like he's your girlfriend." Yeah. What kind of host would I be if I didn't serve a snack/drink when I invited a friend over? She won't let me cook them in the oven after midnite. So our compromise is microwave. Hell she won't even let me have a snack when I get home from work at 11PM.

This one I can't even figure out. My friend is Polish (at least partially), so I figure I'll ask him if he wants to go to the Polish Festival in April. My Mom thinks that as a Polish person he'll be offended that I ask him to the Polish Festival. (He probably won't want to go anyway. He claims Polka Music makes his ears bleed).

It's her house, so you need to respect the fact that she doesn't want guests over after a certain time. You can meet friends at that time at Denny's or another restaurant open late.

I'd not mention to her where you plan to invite friends to. You're already aware of what's needed, get enough income so you can live on your own. It's great that your Mom was willing to let you move back in until you could re-establish yourself, but the time seems right for you to make the move out again.

Exactly what UMFAM said, people have to respect rules of others. It's not your house. It's like an employer you have rules to follow either you agree with them or not. You either follow your instructions, resign or get fired. Same thing with house rules you either obey them or leave.

Well, 12AM is definitely not a proper time to have guests, especially if there are other people trying to sleep in the house. Don't know how big is your mom's house but it's her house and her rules :/

If your friend lives alone why don't you go to his house?

Well, 12AM is definitely not a proper time to have guests, especially if there are other people trying to sleep in the house. Don't know how big is your mom's house but it's her house and her rules :/

If your friend lives alone why don't you go to his house?

My Mom agreed to let him come over once at that time. He ended up not being able to come over because he ended up being on call for his snow removal job starting at Midnite the night he was supposed to come over. He doesn't live by himself. He lives with his mother and younger brother. He also told me his Mother has thrown out Midnite visitors more than once. Anyway the powers that be on this board have asked me not to post about my personal problems any more. If you want at to know what's going on me follow my Facebook Page.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom