• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Possible Interference on 102.3?

Matt Boland

New Participating Member
Hey all,

Logged into Facebook this evening, and saw a posting by WBAB in Long Island. They say that there is a proposal to put a new signal on 102.3 FM that may interfere with that station. I've been looking around in the news, but I can't find anything about the planned station. Anybody know anything about this?

Link to WBAB page discussing this: http://wbab.upickem.net/engine/YourSubmission.aspx?contestid=202112

Matt B
Southwestern CT

Sounds like a low power station or translator could be starting up somewhere outside of WBAB's protected contour. I don't think much could be done about it. With all of these low power & translators popping up all over the place the days of FM DXing are numbered.

I wonder if this could be it. There's a posting on another board that says there's a new 250 watt translator starting up at 102.1 out of Riverhead. And out of all things it will be translating 1240 WGBB which is the most ridiculous thing I've heard this year so far. This AM Revitalization joke the FCC is implementing is just that. That station is all pay for play. 1240's local signal barely covers southern Nassau county, and you're hard pressed to pick them up outside of their studios which is the old WNYG building in West Babylon. And now they're going to have a translator for eastern Suffolk county. I've looked at WBAB's website and there's almost no mention of their simulcast on 95.3 (WHFM) out of Southampton whose signal covers Riverhead. Cox may want to start promoting 95.3 again.

I wonder if this could be it. There's a posting on another board that says there's a new 250 watt translator starting up at 102.1 out of Riverhead. And out of all things it will be translating 1240 WGBB which is the most ridiculous thing I've heard this year so far. This AM Revitalization joke the FCC is implementing is just that. That station is all pay for play. 1240's local signal barely covers southern Nassau county, and you're hard pressed to pick them up outside of their studios which is the old WNYG building in West Babylon. And now they're going to have a translator for eastern Suffolk county. I've looked at WBAB's website and there's almost no mention of their simulcast on 95.3 (WHFM) out of Southampton whose signal covers Riverhead. Cox may want to start promoting 95.3 again.

OK, it looks like the 102.1 thing is not the problem, now I'm at a loss here. I've now read it appears WGBB will be moving this 250 watt station from 102.1 licensed to Tiana to 95.9 licensed to Freeport at 19 watts. WTF?

Perhaps WBAB is concerned about a translator that has been approved for nearby Connecticut? It is supposed to retransmit rock station WPLR with 80 watts on 102.3 FM. The map linked below indicates the primary signal would be centered on the Milford CT area. But it seems possible that enough signal could cross the Long Island Sound to interfere with WBAB in Central LI.

CT Translator on 102.3 FM: http://www.bing.com/maps/?mapurl=ht...60&city=BRIDGEPORT&state=CT.kml&ignoreoptin=1

Last edited:
Perhaps WBAB is concerned about a translator that has been approved for nearby Connecticut? It is supposed to retransmit rock station WPLR with 80 watts on 102.3 FM. The map linked below indicates the primary signal would be centered on the Milford CT area. But it seems possible that enough signal could cross the Long Island Sound to interfere with WBAB in Central LI.

CT Translator on 102.3 FM: http://www.bing.com/maps/?mapurl=ht...60&city=BRIDGEPORT&state=CT.kml&ignoreoptin=1

WPLR's studios are in Milford! Do they really need a translator to put a top-grade signal into the town?

I believe the transmitter is some distance away near Bethany CT. Or perhaps WPLR has plans to add an HD2/HD3 channel, and have it carried on the translator. That has become quite common.

Interesting I can Hear WGBB just Fine driving From Babylon all the way to NJ During the day with No Problem . at Night is a different story.

There is a pirate station on 102.3 in the danch......the seem to be on during the early eves, playing Spanish music, very loud, over driven and awful.
I would imagine that BAB is in with the FCC about this, because in their city of license they are being squashed especially around the town dumps area.

A modified application to the FCC for the new 102.3 translator in the Milford CT area which will rebroadcast WPLR, acknowledges concerns from Cox Radio that it could cause interference to WBAB. The new application proposed a reduction in power to 60 watts, and making the signal directional to the northeast. According to this proposal, Cox has no objections to this new configuration. The application was approved last month.

Modified CT Translator Application: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101722206&qnum=5120&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom