• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BBC, Discovery sign long-term Olympics partnership

The BBC and Discovery Communications have confirmed a long-term Olympic Games agreement in the UK, building on a 30-year partnership between the two global media organisations. The deal means that the BBC will sub-license (from Discovery) exclusive free-to-air audio-visual and non-exclusive radio rights to the 2022 and 2024 Olympic Games. In turn, Discovery will sub-license (from the BBC) exclusive pay-TV rights in the UK to the 2018 and 2020 Olympic Games.

The announcement ensures that the BBC will continue to be the free-to-air home of the best action from the Olympic Games until 2024, bringing the moments that unite the nation on TV and radio. Additionally, the BBC’s package of rights is supplemented by digital rights to the content it broadcasts on TV.

This agreement marks the first Olympic Games sub-licensing deal by Discovery and reinforces Eurosport as the home of the Olympic Games across Europe, ensuring that every event is available to fans across all screens. The news follows an agreement announced by Discovery Communications and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) last June, which includes exclusive multimedia rights for 50 countries and territories in Europe for the 2018 through the 2024 Olympic Games. The rights for the UK were included for only 2022 and 2024, as these rights had already been secured by the BBC in the UK.

http://advanced-television.com/2016/02/02/bbc-discovery-sign-long-term-olympics-partnership/

Is there some reason the Olympics is swinging back to public broadcasters? I know the CBC will air the next two Summer Olympics.

Is there some reason the Olympics is swinging back to public broadcasters?

In the UK the BBC has always screened the Olympics. There is no particular reason it has to be so, ITV, Channel Four or Channel Five could all have bid if they wanted to. They don't seem to want to. I can't say I'm sorry as many Olympic sports don't have natural breaks for commercials so viewers might end up missing some of the action.

Channel Four did show the 2012 Paralympics in the UK, I'm not sure who has it this year.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom