• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sacred Heart Radio expanding in the NW

I'm sure all five of the potential listeners for these LP's will be thrilled!

You forgot to add that they will merely replace the 5 listeners to whatever non-local stations existing on those channels now.

Unless they geo-fence (which the CBC and CKKQ don't, apparently), most of the Canadian stations that would be covered by such translators are online. I know the CBC is.

You forgot to add that they will merely replace the 5 listeners to whatever non-local stations existing on those channels now.

Good point. Even though these stations are not local, and probably have only a handful of listeners, it's still too bad.

CKKQ is heard all the way past Seattle and is very strong in Edmonds, Everett and Marysville. This is not OK. If they want an LP, why not just do an online radio stream? The band is so packed that you can't DX anything in Seattle anymore. Not even Vancouver or Victoria...if this keeps up.
KPLU's old 91.1 used to be a great transmitter. All the way past Lynnwood, I could hear them. Of course, a religious station with 6 listeners had to fire up in Port Townsend, and KPLU was forced to leave.
No one understands BC vs. WA. With the Puget Sound as an amplifier, most Victoria and many Vancouver stations come in like locals in parts of Snohomish County, and even more in Skagit/Island Counties. You just cannot do an LP without getting blown off 2 miles away by the Canadian station. Not worth it.
It will be a very sad day when one of the strong Olympia channels is covered up by an LPFM. Coming soon to a packed FM dial near you...

CKKQ is heard all the way past Seattle and is very strong in Edmonds, Everett and Marysville. This is not OK. If they want an LP, why not just do an online radio stream? The band is so packed that you can't DX anything in Seattle anymore. Not even Vancouver or Victoria...if this keeps up.
KPLU's old 91.1 used to be a great transmitter. All the way past Lynnwood, I could hear them. Of course, a religious station with 6 listeners had to fire up in Port Townsend, and KPLU was forced to leave.
No one understands BC vs. WA. With the Puget Sound as an amplifier, most Victoria and many Vancouver stations come in like locals in parts of Snohomish County, and even more in Skagit/Island Counties. You just cannot do an LP without getting blown off 2 miles away by the Canadian station. Not worth it.
It will be a very sad day when one of the strong Olympia channels is covered up by an LPFM. Coming soon to a packed FM dial near you...

An online only radio stream is no longer practical. The royalty fees will eat you up!

I think that even the dx and hobby crowd can be supportive of LP's and translators if there is a clear and visible benefit to the communities that they serve. The issue remains: there are too many CSN's (and other useless programs) that detract from the intention of hyperlocal LP radio.

You just DX the translators. Takes it to a different level. :)

Who decides what actually "benefits" a community? Playing music you can hear on Spotify, YouTube, Pandora, or an any of a number of local high powered FM stations (like the Canadian stations in question do) -- does that benefit the community any more than a mostly non-commercial Catholic broadcaster serving an ethnically mixed (albeit English speaking) population in the Puget Sound area?

While I understand some networks like Air One tweak the rules to their advantage, the fact is that Sacred Heart Radio in Seattle is a locally operated network with much locally generated programming (as well as some EWTN national programming). To put them in the same exact class as the national Christian translator networks is a bit unfair.

I see they just got approval for a translator in the Olympia area. Did not get approval for the one in North Seattle, but they may be re-filing that one, perhaps?

Gotta love it. They sold KGY AM to the Catholics, then took KGY programming to an FM xlator. Now the folks who own 1240 are going to translate that one. It goes around and around....

I see they just got approval for a translator in the Olympia area. Did not get approval for the one in North Seattle, but they may be re-filing that one, perhaps?

Gotta love it. They sold KGY AM to the Catholics, then took KGY programming to an FM xlator. Now the folks who own 1240 are going to translate that one. It goes around and around....

I wasn't aware that there was any more space left on the FM dial in the south sound ;)

You, and everyone else who doesn't like it, can always file a petition to the FCC opposing specific moves. Though, those petitions are going to need more substance than ad-hominem attacks and cute one-liners.

Cue the sound of crickets.

Not sure where you got the "doesn't like it" vibe, AQH. Was not the intent of my message. I say more power to anyone who can use the existing laws to find a way to reach more listeners. I just found it more humorous than anything the hoops broadcasters have to jump through, that's all. I have a great deal of respect for the engineers who can find legal holes in the spectrum to put programming.

That being said, "ad hominem attacks and cute one-liners" pretty well describe my life. My marriage. And my highly compensated radio program. So you nailed that. Badabing!

You, and everyone else who doesn't like it, can always file a petition to the FCC opposing specific moves. Though, those petitions are going to need more substance than ad-hominem attacks and cute one-liners.

Cue the sound of crickets.

That, and the Commission doesn't regulate programming. If whatever broadcaster meets the qualifications to be a licensee and is willing to pay the money, even some armchair radio programmer filing an objection because of the licensee somehow offends their personal taste, will have zero impact.

Speaking from an owner perspective..as long as their money is green, I don't care what they would do with the station.

Last edited:
Not sure where you got the "doesn't like it" vibe, AQH. Was not the intent of my message. I say more power to anyone who can use the existing laws to find a way to reach more listeners. I just found it more humorous than anything the hoops broadcasters have to jump through, that's all. I have a great deal of respect for the engineers who can find legal holes in the spectrum to put programming.

That being said, "ad hominem attacks and cute one-liners" pretty well describe my life. My marriage. And my highly compensated radio program. So you nailed that. Badabing!

You're right, I was incorrect to reply to your post and direct my comments at you. My comments are directed at the posters who complain now and who have complained in the past about religious programming.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom