• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

95.3 Philadelphia

Reading all these posts I ask myself again. Why there isn't a full power FM Latin station in Philly? Guys, this is a major market, we have full power Latin stations all over the country and they do work, can't see why it wouldn't in Philly. . I'd LOVE to see a few examples of full power stations in Philly that are struggling or not making a good buck (i'm sure there is at least one). If there is nobody willing to pull the trigger and buy a station or make the flip, that's another thing.

Philadelphia with 8.8% Hispanic population looks to be right on the borderline of what is needed to have a successful station.

Washington, DC, with over 15%, manages to support one fairly successful station, which is 14th in revenue and 25-54 ratings.

But one issue in Philadelphia is that a large part of the Hispanic population is of Puerto Rican heritage. The original migrations from the Island occurred in the 50's and 60's, so those folks who are primary Spanish speakers are mostly over 60 by now. Not a good target. And their children grew up in the era when kids were punished in school for not speaking English, even at recess and outside classes. So the second generation is English dominant. And the new third generation is pretty much English only.

So what Clear Channel discovered is that while the market is nearly 9% Hispanic, a much larger than normal in other markets percentage of those Hispanics are either older Spanish speakers or English dominant.

Add to that the fact that not all Hispanics like the same music and formats: even a good station will not get "everyone" to listen. In fact, there are likely more formats possible in Spanish than in English. The format one group likes will be hated by another.

I guess you feel like a big man, constantly bashing and flaming me for no reason, you don't even know me, yet you constantly ridicule my posts. Do you ever add anything to a thread besides trying to belittle people. I guess being a mail clerk all your life has no spark so you have to come on here and act like some know it all, to boost your ego. All you did was show everyone on this board what a mean person you really are, have a great life.....

Sir, please, for the love of God, stop.

Every time you open your mouth you prove how little you know. As David points out, you cannot redefine the industry standards ... especially if you are going to post on an industry-sponsored site.

Please do yourself a favor: Before you post anything else, read some other threads where these things are explained. Learn what a market definition is, what a city grade signal is, why there aren't going to ever be rules against non-English broadcasts, why some formats are not viable because the potential audience is too old to attract ad dollars, what an "ethnic group" really is, the limitations of translators.

A little education can go a long way. Please obtain some. It's all here for you to read.

Philadelphia with 8.8% Hispanic population looks to be right on the borderline of what is needed to have a successful station.

Washington, DC, with over 15%, manages to support one fairly successful station, which is 14th in revenue and 25-54 ratings.

But one issue in Philadelphia is that a large part of the Hispanic population is of Puerto Rican heritage. The original migrations from the Island occurred in the 50's and 60's, so those folks who are primary Spanish speakers are mostly over 60 by now. Not a good target. And their children grew up in the era when kids were punished in school for not speaking English, even at recess and outside classes. So the second generation is English dominant. And the new third generation is pretty much English only.

So what Clear Channel discovered is that while the market is nearly 9% Hispanic, a much larger than normal in other markets percentage of those Hispanics are either older Spanish speakers or English dominant.

Add to that the fact that not all Hispanics like the same music and formats: even a good station will not get "everyone" to listen. In fact, there are likely more formats possible in Spanish than in English. The format one group likes will be hated by another.

You are 100% correct. Philly is a very special and difficult market when it comes to the Hispanic market. New York has millions of Hispanic immigrants such as Dominicans that don't speak English at all moving to the city every year, DC's Hispanic population is mainly Salvadorian Immigrants that crossed the border and don's speak English, Florida markets such as Orlando and Tampa are also doing very well with Spanish radio because the majority of Hispanics living there are Puerto Ricans that moved from the Island and Spanish is their dominant language. Also a big problem that is going on in Philly that prevent's Spanish radio in Philly to make good money is the Hispanic community economy. 40% of Hispanics live in poverty levels in the Philly DMA including all of the counties surroundings, there ain't much money flowing around to spend.

I guess you feel like a big man, constantly bashing and flaming me for no reason, you don't even know me, yet you constantly ridicule my posts. Do you ever add anything to a thread besides trying to belittle people. I guess being a mail clerk all your life has no spark so you have to come on here and act like some know it all, to boost your ego. All you did was show everyone on this board what a mean person you really are, have a great life.....

KM, a friend, has been a high-rated on-air talent, a PD, an operations manager and is now a consultant in radio. And he is a recognized radio historian as his associative website on the history of UHF TV shows

That said, I do not see anything insulting or pejorative about KM's posts. He is simply pointing out that you have, in each of your posts, gotten every single point of fact wrong. He then suggests that you read up a bit on the subject matter before posting false or misleading or inaccurate data.

And that is exactly what I have tried to tell you, but you keep coming back with more inaccuracies.

You are 100% correct. Philly is a very special and difficult market when it comes to the Hispanic market. New York has millions of Hispanic immigrants such as Dominicans that don't speak English at all moving to the city every year, DC's Hispanic population is mainly Salvadorian Immigrants that crossed the border and don's speak English, Florida markets such as Orlando and Tampa are also doing very well with Spanish radio because the majority of Hispanics living there are Puerto Ricans that moved from the Island and Spanish is their dominant language. Also a big problem that is going on in Philly that prevent's Spanish radio in Philly to make good money is the Hispanic community economy. 40% of Hispanics live in poverty levels in the Philly DMA including all of the counties surroundings, there ain't much money flowing around to spend.

Also excellent points.

And to illustrate what you saying about market's being different, look at Orlando.

It's over 30% Hispanic yet the Spanish language stations average around or under 9 share points. That under-indexes the norm in markets like Miami and the Southwest. Normally, you get total shares that are a bit over half the percentage of the market that is Hispanic. So why the difference in Orlando?

This is not like Albuquerque or San Antonio where some Hispanics are 10th generation and beyond. In Puerto Rico, a significant portion of radio listening goes to stations that play all or a large percentage of music in English. So emigrants from the Island simply listen to that kind of music in Orlando... even if the announcing is in English (PR has no commercial English language station).

So we are back at the fact that the Philadelphia Hispanic market simply does not seem to justify a full-signal facility. The translators will have to do for the moment.

Clear Channel did with 104.5 for awhile. 104.9 pretended to be a Philly station for awhile doing Latin too.

The numbers for Rumba 104.5 were very low; I think it pulled about a 1 share, and I seem to recall that it actually did better in the Lehigh Valley and Atlantic City books than it did in Philly! So, the format was shuffled off to 1480 at an early date.

Also excellent points.

And to illustrate what you saying about market's being different, look at Orlando.

It's over 30% Hispanic yet the Spanish language stations average around or under 9 share points. That under-indexes the norm in markets like Miami and the Southwest. Normally, you get total shares that are a bit over half the percentage of the market that is Hispanic. So why the difference in Orlando?

This is not like Albuquerque or San Antonio where some Hispanics are 10th generation and beyond. In Puerto Rico, a significant portion of radio listening goes to stations that play all or a large percentage of music in English. So emigrants from the Island simply listen to that kind of music in Orlando... even if the announcing is in English (PR has no commercial English language station).

So we are back at the fact that the Philadelphia Hispanic market simply does not seem to justify a full-signal facility. The translators will have to do for the moment.

Currently Iheart Media's Rumba 100.3 is the #2 station in the entire market of Orlando, and I think 3 months ago they were #1 in the entire market. They do extremely well in Orlando.

Currently Iheart Media's Rumba 100.3 is the #2 station in the entire market of Orlando, and I think 3 months ago they were #1 in the entire market. They do extremely well in Orlando.

And the numbers are not surprising. They have an excellent PD in Raymond Torres and have no full-signal FM competitor. So they have most of the market to themselves.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom