Kenny Rogers - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenny Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Until the mid-'80s, you could also hear country artists such as Crystal Gayle, Ronnie Milsap, Eddie Rabbitt and Alabama on AC radio. Country-to-pop crossovers pretty much disappeared during the height of MTV's influence on pop radio -- stations ignored T.G. Sheppard and Sawyer Brown, who had country hits in the mid-80s that would have fit right in on AC 10 years earlier, and played soft new pop like Spandau Ballet and Simply Red instead. Of course, country was changing as well, and by the late '90s the New Traditionalist phenomenon was in full swing. Clint Black, Randy Travis, Patty Loveless and Reba McEntire were far too twangy for an AC station that was playing Boyz II Men to even consider adding.
    I don't ever remember Alabama being played on AC but I see they had five top ten songs on that chart. Starting in 1980, on the Country chart, they had 21 straight #1s, followed by a #7 showing, followed by six straight #1s, followed by a #3 showing, followed by three more #1s. They then spent two years in the top five, topping the chart twice again and remained a strong performer for the rest of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by semoochie View Post
    I don't ever remember Alabama being played on AC but I see they had five top ten songs on that chart. Starting in 1980, on the Country chart, they had 21 straight #1s, followed by a #7 showing, followed by six straight #1s, followed by a #3 showing, followed by three more #1s. They then spent two years in the top five, topping the chart twice again and remained a strong performer for the rest of the century.
    I remember "Take Me Down" getting AC airplay here. I think "Love in the First Degree" made it, too. I don't recall any others.

Isn't this thread supposed to be about Kenny Rogers?
    Please start new thread about other Artists.

Thankew,
    Frank

Are you saying we ought to know when to hold a thread and know when to fold a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by frankberry View Post
    Isn't this thread supposed to be about Kenny Rogers?
    Please start new thread about other Artists.

Thankew,
    Frank
    That's very good! The thread is about Kenny Rogers getting airplay on AC and Adult Standards stations. By extension, any Country act doing so seems to be within "the spirit of the thread" for at least a couple of responses, as long as we quickly return to the main topic.

I thought I replied to CTListener, not Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Are you saying we ought to know when to hold a thread and know when to fold a thread?
    I love the pun related to "The Gambler"! So funny!

Sheryl Crow had some successful crossover to AC as well, I believe. Some of her successful AC crossovers were "If It Makes You Happy", "All I Wanna Do", "Strong Enough", "Soak Up The Sun", "The First Cut Is The Deepest", etc.

Kenny Rogers' songs including "Lady" and "Through The Years" were very successful AC crossovers. I was wondering how well did "The Gambler" and "Coward Of The County" do on AC since it has more of a country-tempo to it?

Most AC phased-out 70s in the early half of this decade. I believe AC was heavy on 70s and 80s in the 90s. Does anybody know when was the last time they had heard any Kenny Rogers song on Soft AC or Mainstream AC? Perhaps during the mid 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewduong77 View Post

I was wondering how well did "The Gambler" and "Coward Of The County" do on AC since it has more of a country-tempo to it?
    They were Top 5 AC, while each were #1 country. And they still get classic country airplay today.

Quote Originally Posted by WeNeverKnew View Post
    The two duets noted would have been gone by the early 1990s.
    Ironically, so were the rest of Kenny's songs on the hit country stations.

It was around that time that Barbara Mandrell retired. Good thing she did, because her career was over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast