• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Descanso silent

January 14, 2016 (Descanso) -- KNSJ Radio (89.1 FM Descanso) is off the air affter the station's transmitter on Mount Laguna froze and broke during last week's winter storm. The repair estimate is $1,500, said Martin Eder, founder of KNSJ, a public nonprofit radio station that serves East County and San Diego.

Donations are urgently needed to cover this unexpected major repair cost and may be made via PayPal, credit card or check at http://knsj.org/donate/.

The East County Magazine Show airs on KNSJ on Mondays and Fridays from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. During the outage, which began last week, our radio show and others on the station can still be heard online by downloading the TuneIn App for your cell phone or by listening to the streaming audio online at http://knsj.org/knsjpopup.html.

"The antenna is almost 10 feet long and portions of the antenna were covered with an oval of six feet of near solid ice," said Eder, who estimated the ice may have weighed a couple of hundred pounds. "One of the struts broke under the stress of the load."

KNSJ, the Network for Social Justice, launched in July 2013 and carries a mix of local and nationally syndicated shows including Democracy Now. Shows aired on KNSJ cover news, politics, music, comedy, environment and social justice issues, Native American news, and more.

Knsj 89.1 off the air: Will anyone really notice?

January 14, 2016 (Descanso) -- KNSJ Radio (89.1 FM Descanso) is off the air affter the station's transmitter on Mount Laguna froze and broke during last week's winter storm. The repair estimate is $1,500, said Martin Eder, founder of KNSJ, a public nonprofit radio station that serves East County and San Diego.

Donations are urgently needed to cover this unexpected major repair cost and may be made via PayPal, credit card or check at http://knsj.org/donate/.

The East County Magazine Show airs on KNSJ on Mondays and Fridays from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. During the outage, which began last week, our radio show and others on the station can still be heard online by downloading the TuneIn App for your cell phone or by listening to the streaming audio online at http://knsj.org/knsjpopup.html.

"The antenna is almost 10 feet long and portions of the antenna were covered with an oval of six feet of near solid ice," said Eder, who estimated the ice may have weighed a couple of hundred pounds. "One of the struts broke under the stress of the load."

KNSJ, the Network for Social Justice, launched in July 2013 and carries a mix of local and nationally syndicated shows including Democracy Now. Shows aired on KNSJ cover news, politics, music, comedy, environment and social justice issues, Native American news, and more.

These blokes are so incompetent that they can't even figure out that it is an ANTENNA that was damaged and not a transmitter.

I think the only complaints that they are off the air will come from lizards and mountain goats and black widows.

(I wonder if these idiots realize that they could save the earth just a little bit from global climate warming destruction change with their amateur hour attempt at a "radio" station being off the air.)

These blokes are so incompetent that they can't even figure out that it is an ANTENNA that was damaged and not a transmitter.

Oh, they know the difference, as evidenced by the founder's choice of words when quoted in the fourth paragraph. But using the wrong term at the start "explains" it better for the average listener who think "antenna" is that thing that used to be on their roof before cable came along.

I hope those "lizards and mountain goats and black widows" have PayPal.

Oh, they know the difference, as evidenced by the founder's choice of words when quoted in the fourth paragraph. But using the wrong term at the start "explains" it better for the average listener who think "antenna" is that thing that used to be on their roof before cable came along.

I hope those "lizards and mountain goats and black widows" have PayPal.

They are total morons and I can tell you that they really don't know the difference between "transmitter" and "antenna."

They asked me to come work with them and after one hour I excused myself and said "vaya con dio" and "arios."

It is just like one of my video clients who is convinced that he is a professional video editor just because he put down the bucks for a copy of Final Cut Pro....typical backwater San Diego talk....

Their overall viewpoint editorially is quite different from mine, probably about 180-degree opposite; yet, it’s difficult to stand by and just watch a homegrown, live and local operation suffer like that. What they are doing there is what many of us have been preaching, isn’t it? No corporation radio, live and local? They seem to be trying for all of that in its purest form. I’m in for a few $$. I hope they get things squared away...good luck to them in their survival and future success.

KNSJ was back on the air as of Saturday the 23rd. Just wondering if the antenna will still conform to its proof pattern.
Hard to believe this group has little or no cash reserves; every time a need arises, they pass the hat, or have a flute/guitar concert to raise funds.
Does anybody think they will renew the license after the initial 4 year term?

Does anybody think they will renew the license after the initial 4 year term?

To what "initial four year term" do you refer? Their license was issued May 30, 2014 and expires December 1, 2021.

They must own/broadcast for a minimum 3 (not 4) years after issuance of the LPFM license-

47 CFR 73.865 - Assignment and transfer of LPFM licenses.
(c) Holding period: A license cannot be transferred or assigned for three years from the date of issue, and the licensee must operate the station during the three-year holding period.

They must own/broadcast for a minimum 3 (not 4) years after issuance of the LPFM license-

(c) Holding period: A license cannot be transferred or assigned for three years from the date of issue, and the licensee must operate the station during the three-year holding period.

But KNSJ is a B1 on an educational channel, not an LPFM. They are 330 watts at 2392 feet AMSL, way, way above the maximum for an LPFM.

But KNSJ is a B1 on an educational channel, not an LPFM. They are 330 watts at 2392 feet AMSL, way, way above the maximum for an LPFM.

I realize we shouldn't confuse him with the facts, but here's the license, direct from the FCC website:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/Auth_Files/1556535.pdf

Please note, Big 121, the information confirming everything David said and pretty much making a nonsense out of both your question and your attempt to quote the Rules.

BTW, even if the Rule you quoted was applicable, it still doesn't mean a license renewal has to be filed after that initial operating period, so ...

O M G....CLASSIC REPLY!

Truly, thanks for this great post. It put the BIGGEST smile on my face! YOU NAILED IT!

The FCC has reinstated the application for Activist San Diego for a new station in Ramona on 89.9. The transmitter is applied for a ridge about 25 miles NE of Ramona that does not look like it is an established radio site.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom