• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

In engineering news: KNBQ

It appears that KNBQ 98.5 from Central Park now has a construction permit to provide the south sound with a new FM signal. It seems they will be moving to Capitol Peak with additional power output. It looks like it should cover the populated areas of Grays Harbour, Lewis, and Thurston Co. well. View the details for yourself:

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/...&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

This reminds me of the move in of 99.3 KAYO, back about 1999. If memory serves me right, they initially moved the transmitter from Aberdeen to Minot Peak, (with a COL change to Elma) then moved again to Capitol Peak and later to South Mountain. I expect the same to happen with KNBQ in a few years. (Developer Greg Smith moved in the old KAYO, and he's a partner in JOSH, so I'm expecting the same outcome.)

This reminds me of the move in of 99.3 KAYO, back about 1999. If memory serves me right, they initially moved the transmitter from Aberdeen to Minot Peak, (with a COL change to Elma) then moved again to Capitol Peak and later to South Mountain. I expect the same to happen with KNBQ in a few years. (Developer Greg Smith moved in the old KAYO, and he's a partner in JOSH, so I'm expecting the same outcome.)

Very true. KLSY 93.7 could also be considered as a similar example.

Very true. KLSY 93.7 could also be considered as a similar example.

I only mentioned 99.3 KAYO (now KDDS) because they were the first station to move there. Same can be said for 97.7 which started out as KSWW in Raymond, became KFMY and moved to Minot Peak around 2000, and later moved to South Mountain. Now as KOMO-FM, the license is still held by Greg Smith and his South Sound Broadcasting. (He also owns Sunny Lands, and is a partner in JOSH.)

Last edited:
I only mentioned 99.3 KAYO (now KDDS) because they were the first station to move there. Same can be said for 97.7 which started out as KSWW in Raymond, became KFMY and moved to Minot Peak around 2000, and later moved to South Mountain. Now as KOMO-FM, the license is still held by Greg Smith and his South Sound Broadcasting. (He also owns Sunny Lands, and is a partner in JOSH.)

Thanks for reminding me of that move. I'm very interested to see what the future holds for KNBQ, considering it doesn't have nearly the same amount of coverage that you get with any of the other signals emanating from the south sound.

I don't see that happening, Victoria is much closer to those sites than Vancouver, and I would imagine they would have to protect CIOC.

I don't see that happening, Victoria is much closer to those sites than Vancouver, and I would imagine they would have to protect CIOC.

I don't think KXA was predicting any further change. I think he was merely highlighting some of the other moves that have taken place over the years.

I'm very interested to see what the future holds for KNBQ, considering it doesn't have nearly the same amount of coverage that you get with any of the other signals emanating from the south sound.

Programming wise, what the future will likely hold is either a voicetracked or satellite-delivered format, run by the Grays Harbour folks (meaning no new hires).

They don't have to protect CIOC; they only have to prove that it will not interfere with CIOC on the Canadian side of the border. They would have to protect (not interfere with) 98.7 KUPL/Portland and 98.3 KPPK/Rainier (OR).

Last edited:
They don't have to protect CIOC; they only have to prove that it will not interfere with CIOC on the Canadian side of the border. They would have to protect (not interfere with) 98.7 KUPL/Portland and 98.3 KPPK/Rainier (OR).
KUPL shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's a first adjacency and only a Class C1.

Is KNBQ off the air, or still "North Pole Radio"? They were Xmas as of September.

We love our Christmas music.

The bird chirps were very popular. We had planned a contest to identify the birds, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Somebody left the cage door open and the cat got them. Sorry, I can't help myself with all the rampant speculation every time a radio station burps. Keep listening, and when you hear more bird sounds, be the first to call.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom