• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Old School 87.7 or there abouts

Wasn't there a post stating OLD SCHOOL 87.7 has no license and this post was going to be terminated?

I believe that was a different station in a different market and the thread has indeed been deleted, because it was largely promoting the station and Streamline feared legal repercussions.

I believe their actual power is 22,200 watts @961 ft, they are operating off the ANALOG audio signal for TV channel 6, not the Digital audio which is 3,000 watts.

Last edited:
I would vehemently disagree that 87.7 has NO license. According to fcc.gov they clearly are licensed. Now whether they are operating according to their license is another story. 3000 watts, my backside. Of course, it IS on a tall TV tower unlike, say, a class A FM. And like an FM translator, but 3000W and not 250W.

But how many times have we pointed out that some class D AM daytimer left their day signal on all night?

Isn't there a FCC field office in the Atlanta market? If so, one would be stupid to try to run a licensed station illegally during office hours when there just might be an FCC employee checking. After normal office hours you might take a chance. But is it ethical or legal? I wouldn't. I guess I am too much a rule follower.

I believe their actual power is 22,200 watts @961 ft, they are operating off the ANALOG audio signal for TV channel 6, not the Digital audio which is 3,000 watts.

The STA and CP for channel 6 both are for 3KW just different towers. The 22,200 is for channel 26. The 3 KW should work for the line of sight from an around 700 tower. With the limited on channel interference of 87.7 and a good car radio Chattanooga or Macon is not impossible

It gets out so well, mainly because nobody else is on 87.7. Its like FM was 40 years ago. You run out of coverage before you have interference. Now, you have interference before you run out of coverage.

3000 watts, my backside. Of course, it IS on a tall TV tower unlike, say, a class A FM. And like an FM translator, but 3000W and not 250W.

remember...it's 3000 watts...on a tall tower...on a virtually empty frequency: that gives a huge footprint!

Just wonderin'...

Is any station below 92.1 supposed to be educational OR is the "educational band" specifically 88.1 - 91.9?

(Also, 88.9 has had a lot of pirates on its frequency, but they didn't play commercials, right?)
:)

Just wonderin'...

Just wonderin'...

Is any station below 92.1 supposed to be educational OR is the "educational band" specifically 88.1 - 91.9?

88.1 to 91.9 are reserved for non-commercial allocations. They can be educational, religious, informational, rock, bluegrass, jazz, classical or even Regional Mexican. They can take underwriting money, but not hard-sell ads.

Just wonderin'...

(Also, 88.9 has had a lot of pirates on its frequency, but they didn't play commercials, right?)
:)

Just wonderin'...

Remember, 87.7 isn't in the US FM band, which starts at 87.9 (and is the lowest non-com, not 88.1). 87.7 is actually Channel 6 and what you hear on 87.7 is the audio on Channel 6. WTBS 87.7 is a TV station, not an FM station.

Back when Channel 5 was analog and actually on RF channel 5, you couldn't have a channel 6 in ATL, due to spacing requirements. When Channel 5 (WAGA-TV) went digital, it moved to UHF RF channel 27, but still uses virtual channel Channel 5. In fact, the only two VHF legacy full-power TV stations left in ATL are WGTV Channel 8 (actually broadcasting on RF channel 8) and WXIA Channel 11 (on RF channel 10). WSB Channel 2 also moved to UHF.

These RF channel 6 Franken-FMs have appeared in several markets, since TV broacasters have all but abandoned the VHF low band (RF channels 2-6) as being unsuitable for digital TV. Even the VHF high band (RF channels 7-13) isn't that great either. I got rid of cable, and have the worst time picking up Channel 8.

I doubt they will listen to me but I would tighten the playlist a lot.

Cut back on some of the marginal C+ songs
Cut back on the MELLOW which is too high

They play a great song like "Billie Jean" followed by a C+ James Brown track and a few others. They need to be going from "Billie Jean" to Chaka's "I Feel For You" instead.

More info on WTBS 87.7:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTBS-LD

961' HAAT, 22.2kW

Looks like they are sharing the WNNX tower atop the Peachtree Plaza hotel.

For comparison, WNNX is 978' HAAT with 12.5kW of power to make an FCC Class C2. The higher power of WTBS at similar HAAT would also still be roughly equivalent to a C2.

Other nearby TV stations on RF channel 6 are as follows:

WRTN-LP near Nashville, 2kW
GPB affiliates WABW near Albany and WCES near Augusta, 10.5kW and 30kW respectively (see http://www.gpb.org/television/stations)
WVUA near Tuscaloosa, 26kW

Last edited:
They seem to have doubled down on the mellow....guess they are going after the 55+ year old crowd.

Their signal on the Southwest: Lots of static as soon as you turn off 285 onto 85 South. A bit better around Newnan (which may be on higher ground). Somebody posted that the signal goes to Chattanooga, well it doesn't get past College Park on the Southwest side.

More info on WTBS 87.7:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTBS-LD

961' HAAT, 22.2kW

Looks like they are sharing the WNNX tower atop the Peachtree Plaza hotel.

For comparison, WNNX is 978' HAAT with 12.5kW of power to make an FCC Class C2. The higher power of WTBS at similar HAAT would also still be roughly equivalent to a C2.

Other nearby TV stations on RF channel 6 are as follows:

WRTN-LP near Nashville, 2kW
GPB affiliates WABW near Albany and WCES near Augusta, 10.5kW and 30kW respectively (see http://www.gpb.org/television/stations)
WVUA near Tuscaloosa, 26kW

Wikipedia needs someone to check the FCC website:

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WTBS

They are running on a Construction permit 152 meters 400+ feet at 3 KW

There is another application for 228 meters around 700 +ft. at 3 kw.

The 22 KW is on channel 26 (542 Mhz) which most I doubt any normal FM radio will pick.

WABW and WCES both on the old channel 6 should crush the WTBS signal south of the airport.

This why I try to never quote wikipedia!

My momma said you people ain't right for this and she mean it to. She said its the best thing since her potato salad..BTW the salad ain't right but your station is the bomb.. Don't tell her OK thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom