• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Payola in radio

I know for a fact that Payola in radio exists, and is highly taboo. What do the record people call it, pay for play? I know of at least one PD that seems to always have cash, directly related to adding music, and plays per whatever (week, day, month, etc.), and it does bother me sometimes that this is taking place, even though the cash does sometimes buy things for the radio station. I'm just wondering how much cash the PD is actually taking in, how much goes towards the station, and how much he pockets, especially since his ego is a little out of hand sometimes. I would love to hear of anyone else's views and opinions on what they're experiencing, have experienced, or how they feel about payola in radio.

Last edited:
Why don't you ask the guy you know? And then ask his boss. And then let the station owner know.

Because besides the FCC rules, there's also a trust issue of an employee using his position to steal money from his station.

BigA is right. If you see someone doing something illegal or unethical at your workplace, it's YOUR responsibility to report it. Knowing but not reporting it, could make you vulnerable to being considered complicit.

Double edged sword (Heck, even Jay Leno hid in a closet to find out what was going on with his career). You know that some good is coming from it (since corporate sucks most of the time in giving us things we need), but on the other hand, how much is *not* going towards the station. I admit, I am torn, as I've known about it for years, but for some reason, suddenly (out of nowhere) became a concern this morning. I have no doubt that the GM already knows about it, because he has seen the money being spent in the station, right in front of his face. So, I'm not the only one here being complicit. Although, I'm not feeling much guilt, because I personally have not accepted anything (even station equipment, for my department) that was bought with this money.

Double edged sword (Heck, even Jay Leno hid in a closet to find out what was going on with his career). You know that some good is coming from it (since corporate sucks most of the time in giving us things we need), but on the other hand, how much is *not* going towards the station. I admit, I am torn, as I've known about it for years, but for some reason, suddenly (out of nowhere) became a concern this morning. I have no doubt that the GM already knows about it, because he has seen the money being spent in the station, right in front of his face. So, I'm not the only one here being complicit. Although, I'm not feeling much guilt, because I personally have not accepted anything (even station equipment, for my department) that was bought with this money.

Two words: Buck Weaver.

Weaver was the 3rd baseman for 1919 Chicago White Sox, who threw the World Series. He didn't take bribe money or throw games, but he knew about the fix and refused to rat out his teammates. Guess what: He was banned from baseball for life just like the crooked players were.

As one who's never worked in broadcasting, but spent 40 years working for various corporations and have seen this type of thing more than once, all I can say is "come clean." I will say that you may have to go way up on the corporate food chain, or even to the FCC if necessary. Sounds like your station may be crooked from top to bottom, so reporting it in-house may be an exercise in futility. But if you don't, and somebody high up on the corporate food chain finds out about the whole thing, you could get canned along with the crooked employee(s). That's why I mentioned Weaver -- that's what happened to him.

Besides, can't payola cost a station its license? Might be a good time to update your resume.

I will say that you may have to go way up on the corporate food chain, or even to the FCC if necessary.

Going to the Commission initially is not a good idea. I've been in this business for a very long time. No larger owner/licensee would condone illegal activities in one of their stations. Ownership would appreciate appropriate 'whistle-blowing' if one of their senior management is doing something illegal. But be wary; you'd better make sure you have solid proof of these indiscretions before taking this even upstairs. Blowing the whistle on a hunch or our assumption, could be hazardous to your employment.

Sounds like your station may be crooked from top to bottom, so reporting it in-house may be an exercise in futility.

That's an inappropriate and foolish conclusion you just made there.

Besides, can't payola cost a station its license? Might be a good time to update your resume.

From a practical standpoint, no. Would the FCC fine the station? Probably.

I argue that not reporting the incidents, is considered more egregious, especially if you sit on the information while blabbing it on some discussion board.

I'll add to what Kelly A wrote.
Be VERY sure before you accuse someone of a misdeed.
You could wind up with a lawsuit!

Besides, can't payola cost a station its license?

I think it was Dave Universal who was the last radio guy accused of payola. He was very sloppy about it. He was fined and fired. Entercom owns the station, and still does. It was completely the responsibility of the person taking the money. He, along with everyone else, signs a letter saying he understands what payola is, and he will not take it. However, the loophole is accepting advertising money, and disclosing the airplay is paid for. If that doesn't happen, then it's a federal crime. However, Dave is back in radio right now, so there's no lifetime ban.

I agree with Frank that you should be very careful about throwing around the payola word without some real facts, because you haven't convinced me yet that what you've seen qualifies as payola. There needs to be a direct connection of money for spins and no on-air disclosure. In Dave Universal's case, there were actual emails between him and the label as evidence.

Keep in mind that the major labels don't use indie promoters any more. They're all in-house. So that article is wrong.

One thing to know is that while payola is illegal for broadcast radio, it's not illegal for digital radio. And as far as I know, the US is the only country in the world that has laws restricting payola.

If there is a case of payola, it's comforting to know, because that confirms the reason why we shouldn't be paying more royalties. They can't have it both ways... paying for play and then asking for royalties...

When I was involved with a college radio station, serving as interim GM, I was sent a personal check from a record company rep to cover the cost of tickets and traveling 200 miles to concert for one of her band I put in heavy rotation. This was after the fact, the check reimbursed me for my expenses a couple week before I talked to her. I thought it was kinda cool but I didn't get the permanent GM role, so it only happened once. I also got a case of cheap liquor in the mail from the same rep... I was only 20 and she knew it.
Otherwise, I got so many promo records that I could sell some to the local used record/cd shop and still have plenty of copies to give away.

Otherwise, I got so many promo records that I could sell some to the local used record/cd shop and still have plenty of copies to give away.

Promo records are not payola. Covering your costs to see a band is not payola. Quid pro quo is payola.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom