• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Leasing HD Channels....

Asking this on behalf of an old friend across the pond..

The group he is with is wanting to know if stations with HD sub-channels lease them out etc? They weren't sure where to look, Google gives them details of brokers and stuff but nothing concrete. So, I get a call over the weekend. I'm a TV career guy so not sure where to start or best to tell him to convert a ton of cash and pour into a furnace. :) (probably a bit cheeky). All I know it's some music format!

Asking this on behalf of an old friend across the pond..

The group he is with is wanting to know if stations with HD sub-channels lease them out etc? They weren't sure where to look, Google gives them details of brokers and stuff but nothing concrete. So, I get a call over the weekend. I'm a TV career guy so not sure where to start or best to tell him to convert a ton of cash and pour into a furnace. :) (probably a bit cheeky). All I know it's some music format!

Many HD channels are leased out. Uses seem to be niche-related such as the Desi Radio Bollywood music channel on in several markets. There are also religious users. The biggest usage is by people who have a translator and want to use it competitively where doing so requires an on-air HD, AM or FM signal in the same markets for commercial operations.

Yes. Typically it gets handled directly by the station. I've not heard about brokers getting involved. Contact the GM at the station, and they can work it out.

One interesting example is a barter deal with iBiquity and Disney, using HD to distribute Radio Disney, with stations and Disney sharing ad revenue.

A guy in Dayton, Ohio leases one of WHKO's HD signals to feed his classic soul format to his translator.

Wonder what that costs him? (how does he get a translator with no AM/FM?)

Many thanks for all your answers. I've fed it back, best to contact the GM of the stations in the markets they're thinking of!

Cheers

There are lots of entities with FM translators and no radio stations. Until more recently, sometimes the question was "what do we do with it?" Now they can sell it to an AM or FM, or lease it out to broadcaster for use with an HD channel...

The great FM translator grab of 11-12 years ago has in the past year or so got a number of these little buggers activated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom