• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Please save pulse 87 again

• Thread starter Joylovepulse967
  • Start date
J

Joylovepulse967

Hi Please review this video for more information . Lets help Save Pulse 87 - NYC radio station.. We need the help to save the jobs of all the employees that work at Pulse 87 NYC radio station.. Thank you for your time.. http://youtu.be/HXddfUlHq70

Let's see.

Started with visions of being a network service. Didn't get close.

Its broadcast operation is via the audio of a channel 6 LPTV station (also referred to in the industry as Franken FMs) which might or might not be allowed to multiplex an analog FM service when they are required to go to digital telecasting. In other words, it's not a radio station, it's a television station, no matter how you try to spin it.

EDM as a format has never caught on to a degree where meaningful, saleable ratings were produced ... not in any market, anywhere in the U.S.

The vast majority of the audience is listening online, and we all know what just happened in that world.

I'm thinking of a six-letter word, starting with "D", with a backwards cow in the middle, and ending in "ed". Sorry.

Last edited:
Something's wrong with this video...it sounds like the reader is on drugs. Only 18 views. That's not a good sign.

EDM manages to hang on in selected markets. It has never been a success on radio. Other than night clubs, and beer I don't see many other buys.

Not a mass Appeal format.

EDM manages to hang on in selected markets. It has never been a success on radio. Other than night clubs, and beer I don't see many other buys.

Not a mass Appeal format.

EDM seems like a genre that doesn't have many fans other than those who are very involved with the music -- go to clubs and/or concerts regularly. So its advocates see packed clubs and sold-out concerts and think there must be millions of others listening to it regularly at home or in the car. But that's not reality. It's kind of like the minor league baseball team that draws big crowds at its games but can't draw flies to its radio broadcasts. Those 8,000 people at the ballpark represent just about everyone interested in the team.

Besides Club LaVela, have any other night clubs bought an OTA radio station to play EDM?

Now I suddenly want to torture myself with EDM to see if anyone advertises on WPCF.

WPCF is a AM station with a FM translator. They probably have minimal operating costs (The station is probably at the club). This is a excellent marketing tool (I'm sure the promotie it at the club, and do all kinds of promotions and giveaways) and a great concept for a station that probably would be dead anyway.

In this case, a winning situation.

Club kids and EDM fans don't listen to radio.

They do in Europe. And even closer to home, the dance station in Mexico City is consistently in the top 5 (out of over 60 stations) in that market of 23 million.

The message is referring to Pulse87online.com - the Sound Exchange royalty rates taking effect on 1/1/2016 are affecting Pulse 87's financial ability to stream.

Then they are doomed, just as hundreds of others are. Internet users tend to think everything they access should be free.

Joel is making the only business decision possible under the circumstances. I expect the ultra-niche formats to be among the first streams to go, because they have the lowest income of any to pay royalties from.

Something's wrong with this video...it sounds like the reader is on drugs. Only 18 views. That's not a good sign.

Sounds like a text to speech reader.
I suspect the OP has a disability preventing him/her from speaking.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that, I am all for artists to get paid, and I also get my music legally from record pools. However, SoundExchange is out of control with trying to screw the broadcasters and some DJ's for that matter. I truly believe it's an agenda they're fufilling, and that's to get rid of the competition. For now, I am still streaming via StreamLicensing and I am going to stay until the very end.

As a webcaster and terrestrial radio veteran, it angers me that while the CRB allowed the Small Webcaster's Act to expire, Terrestrial radio companies can get buy on streaming and pay the normal fees.

if you want an even playing field, make the FM guys pony up some of that Pureplay dough.

Studies have proven that Webcasters, like myself, have seen a substantial amount of growth in the last 2 years, pair that with the fact that auto makers are now making in car wifi standard options.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom