• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cumulus chills out on "Warm," launches a refreshed "Ninety Nine X" @ 98.9

I feel your pain. Guess you will be enduring the sounds of Madison on Alt Nation in coming months. Remember, you can talk Sirius XM down on the price. Oh and btw - I have the XM Internet option so I can tweak any station to my taste. So when Alt Nation tries to do way too much poppy happy electro shi... stuff, I can tweak the format with more guitar driven.

I'm sure 99X will crumble soon. I'd rather have no alternative in Atlanta than to rely on a half a** one like Radio 105.7. Don't get me started.

I feel your pain. Guess you will be enduring the sounds of Madison on Alt Nation in coming months. Remember, you can talk Sirius XM down on the price. Oh and btw - I have the XM Internet option so I can tweak any station to my taste. So when Alt Nation tries to do way too much poppy happy electro shi... stuff, I can tweak the format with more guitar driven.

I'm sure 99X will crumble soon. I'd rather have no alternative in Atlanta than to rely on a half a** one like Radio 105.7. Don't get me started.

Yeah, my wife has Sirius XM. I don't have a satellite radio ready radio in my car, but may have to consider it. I do have Spotify Premium, however. Internet streaming gets expensive data wise though.

And I agree with you about not having a half a**ed alt station like 105.7.

It's not a completely done deal as far as X is concerned. I can only read into the actions I've been hearing about and it seems pretty obvious. If they don't kill it, at best, maybe they'll pump in something from outside the area.

Sounds like I may have raised the alarm bells early on X98.5. At least for the time being, it will be sticking around with a combination of efforts from corporate and a local staffer. But it will be driven by a more "cautious" approach to new adds. That kinda sucks because that's one thing I enjoyed about the station is its fairly aggressive approach to new adds (not nearly as aggressive as the new 99X but still pretty damn good).

Anyway, sorry for the thread derailment.

May be wrong again about X. Signal is gone and talked to someone familiar with it and the player itself is completely turned off.

Not looking good.

Edit: It's back! But for how long?

Last edited:
They have a 0.0 rating way to go Clueless, how much longer with this disaster???

They have a history of being unable to hit their collective ass with both hands and a set of printed directions.

It is sad thinking back to the legend that 99X once was and now, in its latest form, it's a trainwreck. The playlist doesn't even look that bad though. Are they just not promoting it the way it should be?

There has to be a legion of fans still in Atlanta that grew up with 99X and want something like this over the far too conservative Radio 105.7. To get a 0.0 seems insane. I don't know the range of this signal though.

True alternative music which is what 99X is attempting has no place on mainstream radio because frankly its not. Some true alternative stations do well in cities with the demographics but Atlanta doesn't fit that demographic. A 99x small translator would actually do better in Athens vs Atlanta. Atlanta is very much a top 40 town. This is not just with alternative but look at the classic rock stations - Nothing exciting on those channels - Just cream of the crop hits. Deep cuts, indie, etc don't work in Atlanta.

True alternative belongs on college radio stations in the Atlanta market.

True alternative music which is what 99X is attempting has no place on mainstream radio because frankly its not. Some true alternative stations do well in cities with the demographics but Atlanta doesn't fit that demographic. A 99x small translator would actually do better in Athens vs Atlanta. Atlanta is very much a top 40 town. This is not just with alternative but look at the classic rock stations - Nothing exciting on those channels - Just cream of the crop hits. Deep cuts, indie, etc don't work in Atlanta.

True alternative belongs on college radio stations in the Atlanta market.

But, again, that is what 99X was to start with and I know as a fan of the original station, I still crave that kind of station. The more or less hits-only stations like Radio 105.7 aren't really "alternative" IMO. I guess what doesn't make sense to me is that as the mostly Generation X that grew up when alternative was big, where are they going now?

It's also interesting to note that my 16-year-old son and his friends are into alt and indie bands I've never even heard of (but I do like when exposed to them) so there's also that segment of the population.

I just don't think it's just as simple as saying the demographics aren't there.

My gut makes me think that a lot of people bolted Alternative stations when a lot of Active rock bands crossed over to the format during its lull in the 2000s (even 99X gave into it). I know I sought greener pastures. And maybe that's the answer. Maybe other people like me turned to the Internet and Spotify with a general distaste for what was increasingly harder rock rather than true alternative on the radio. And perhaps they've stayed off the radio landscape.

Radio 104.5 in Philly was one of the few stations during that period that kept with the original sound and feel of alternative.

Yes, the digital age is an ongoing argument against over-the-air radio in general, but it may apply more to this genre than others.

Last edited:
99X 1990 vs 99X 2016 is everything demographics.

1- Average hipster is not listening to FM radio. 1990 vs 2016: Huge difference in how people get their music. Alternative attracts younger white men (usually college or just out of college). Tend to be educated (vs active rock) and more tech savy.
2- Atlanta demographics are not what they were in the 90s, today. For starters, the racial make up is different which is why so many Urban stations in this market are all doing pretty good.

With respect to the sound of alternative today, I do agree alternative was too much in the active direction during the early and mid 2ks. However, I think the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. If we really want to re-live the 90s alternative, you will note a large variety of music from REM to Garbage to Depeche Mode to Ministry to Nine Inch Nails. Alternative in the 80s was a bit different which is what alternative today sorta mimics to a point. In the 80s, alternative, or new wave was immensely popular and you would hear 80% of new wave/alternative bands on your top 40/chr stations. The 90s was different because alternative was so vast (as it should be). Go to SXSW and you will note what I mean when I say vast. Alternative can be as soft as The Shins; As industrial as Orgy; As close to metal as Manson; As folky as Bon Iver and as electronic as Chvrches. That is the beauty of alternative. Listen to a true alternative station (not one of those cookie cutter iheart stations like Radio 104.5) and you will hear a large range. Avoiding certain artist or songs because it "sounds" too active rock is not the way to go. It leads to the cookie-cutter sound we have today on most commercial alternative stations ------ Which actually does better in the rating and sales, unfortunately.

This is why I always despised AAA stations. AAA were nothing but water down hit based Alternative stations without the rock. AAA reminds me of Hot AC stations. Watered down meat and potatoes.

99X 1990 vs 99X 2016 is everything demographics.

1- Average hipster is not listening to FM radio. 1990 vs 2016: Huge difference in how people get their music. Alternative attracts younger white men (usually college or just out of college). Tend to be educated (vs active rock) and more tech savy.
2- Atlanta demographics are not what they were in the 90s, today. For starters, the racial make up is different which is why so many Urban stations in this market are all doing pretty good.

With respect to the sound of alternative today, I do agree alternative was too much in the active direction during the early and mid 2ks. However, I think the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. If we really want to re-live the 90s alternative, you will note a large variety of music from REM to Garbage to Depeche Mode to Ministry to Nine Inch Nails. Alternative in the 80s was a bit different which is what alternative today sorta mimics to a point. In the 80s, alternative, or new wave was immensely popular and you would hear 80% of new wave/alternative bands on your top 40/chr stations. The 90s was different because alternative was so vast (as it should be). Go to SXSW and you will note what I mean when I say vast. Alternative can be as soft as The Shins; As industrial as Orgy; As close to metal as Manson; As folky as Bon Iver and as electronic as Chvrches. That is the beauty of alternative. Listen to a true alternative station (not one of those cookie cutter iheart stations like Radio 104.5) and you will hear a large range. Avoiding certain artist or songs because it "sounds" too active rock is not the way to go. It leads to the cookie-cutter sound we have today on most commercial alternative stations ------ Which actually does better in the rating and sales, unfortunately.

This is why I always despised AAA stations. AAA were nothing but water down hit based Alternative stations without the rock. AAA reminds me of Hot AC stations. Watered down meat and potatoes.

I agree with you about not shying away from stuff that is too hard and it should be a wide range of music. Even back in the 80s, bands like The Cult and Rage Against the Machine were hard, but "alternative."

It was bands like Korn, Papa Roach, Disturbed, Incubus, Shinedown and Slipknot that really took over the alt charts in the early-mid 2000s. And I've heard people argue that they were "alternative". I'm not of that opinion. They're basically harder rock bands (save for a few tracks) that gained traction when the alt output was going through a dip.

Most of today's alternative stations are, as you say, too "cookie-cutter" but it's not even a matter of soft vs. harder rock....it's a TON of indie bands on all aspects of the spectrum that are being ignored in favor of the more pop sounding tracks.

You mentioned Radio 104.5. In the 2000s, the station was far from cookie cutter. It was a lot like the 99X of the 90s breaking many new artists and having a wide ranging playlist. I think that, unfortunately, it has gotten more mainstream, but still not close to the horror that is Radio 105.7 in Atlanta. It's actually shameful that many of the bands Radio 104.5 introduced -- The Postal Service, Temper Trap, Doves, etc. -- are entirely missing from alternative playlists as if they never happened.

Even with the more "pop" sounds, however, I still find today's alternative is closer to what it was in the 80s and 90s than it was when it became more active in the 2000s. It's still fairly wide ranging - 21 Pilots, the Foo Fighters, Nothing But Thieves, Nathaniel Rateliff, Chvrches and Joywave show the range -- pop, rock, honky tonk, electronic and industrial(ish). That range was not there on the vast majority of alt stations in the 2000s. Unfortunately more of the pop type bands are taking over (21 Pilots, Miike Snow, etc. that I am beginning to really wear thin on).... but the range, at least, is still there somewhat for now. Not to the same extent as the earlier years of alt, but much more so than the 2000s.

Still, Internet based alt stations and Spotify playlists are really are the only place aside from college radio to get to real alternative.

Last edited:
I have a facebook page, "New Music Alternative", that I created about three years ago. We are 7K strong and folks from all over share breaking new music and we even devote a date to throwbacks. I bring this up ONLY to acknowledge the age old question: What is alternative? I had to add on so many admins to remove posts where a legitimate post turns into a "that's not alternative" and the back and forth begins with what is alternative vs indie vs hard rock vs rap, etc.

Alternative has no boundaries. You mentioned Korn. Once Korn caught on by the early 2ks, it had no business on ALT stations; I will agree with you there. However, I do believe that KORN did have a place on alternative stations and in fact you heard it in the early and mid 90s on 99X. Korn, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Helmet, Hum, Stabbing Westward, and Tool all were industrial alternative bands of the 90s. Alanis Morissette, Dave Matthews Band, Joan Osbourne, and even Sarah McLachlan was also heard on 90s alternative stations and guess what - THEY SUCCEEDED!

Your poppy stuff like Mike Snow and Foster the People has a place on alternative stations but so does Deftones and Highly Suspect. (While Twenty One Pilots current two songs are poppy and being played on top 40 stations, Twenty One Pilots is not poppy - Borderline screamo if you dig deeper).

I don't think we are in disagreement as much as we are just expressing our personal preference of alternative - I'm much more into a wider range. I want to hear some pissed off stuff, fun stuff, weird stuff and sad stuff all in 30 minutes and alternative is SUPPOSE to give you that.

So what has changed? Well, this would be a great conversation to have in the alternative room but I believe what has lead to this cookie-cutter format we see on FM radio today is partly due to Sirius XM. Alt Nation has always leaned poppy and electro in the sound. I haven't heard NIN on Alt Nation in years and yes, they have post 2000 albums. However, there are other channels that do play NIN on Sirius XM which is full of other niche formats and XM tries their best not to overlap. I think FM radio is trying to follow suit on that. Give me 80% of what Alt Nation plays, 10% of what Octane Plays, 5% of Lithium and 5% of XMU and you have yourself a great alt station. However, XM separates these niche formats by channel and I believe radio has followed suit.

I'm a firm believer that some artist are both active and alternative appropriate.

One more thing - While I think Sirius XM has a lot to do with why formats are so segregated and limited, I'll also add that with respect to Alternative, it follows trends and what is popular which goes against the terms meaning but I digress - So when active rock (harder rock music) picks up steam, which it eventually will, I think you are going to hear more active rock mixed in. I wouldn't have a problem with that BUT what will also happen is that the more indie stuff you hear on alt radio today will be reduced to AAA stations or not played at all. God forbid a modern rock station has a playlist over 200.

I bring this up because I noticed the latest spins on US alt stations and Disturbed has popped up and is running pretty high in the spins. Send me a PM and I will give you my email address and we can communicate on this single topic further. Don't want to hijack the string with the alternative definition debate.

One more thing - While I think Sirius XM has a lot to do with why formats are so segregated and limited, I'll also add that with respect to Alternative, it follows trends and what is popular which goes against the terms meaning but I digress - So when active rock (harder rock music) picks up steam, which it eventually will, I think you are going to hear more active rock mixed in. I wouldn't have a problem with that BUT what will also happen is that the more indie stuff you hear on alt radio today will be reduced to AAA stations or not played at all. God forbid a modern rock station has a playlist over 200.

I bring this up because I noticed the latest spins on US alt stations and Disturbed has popped up and is running pretty high in the spins. Send me a PM and I will give you my email address and we can communicate on this single topic further. Don't want to hijack the string with the alternative definition debate.

I will just say I was a little "disturbed" :) to see Disturbed pop up on the charts ....until I realized it was a soft cover of "The Sound of Silence". You will also see bands like Incubus and Korn pop up occasionally on the alt charts, but if you notice, they never make it very high. I think a lot of that is the result of a select few alt stations that are more of an alt/active blend. Definitely agree with you with some of the more Industrial bands, especially Nine Inch Nails, Stabbing Westward and early Filter, belonging on Alt.

Oh, and I actually lobbied my local alt station to get Highly Suspect on the air, but never succeeded. They were also a band that appeared just in the bottom half of the alt charts and disappeared....but I think they have a place more so than many other active bands on alternative stations.

And I think your last point was my biggest problem with the active high in the 2000s on most alternative stations (like I mentioned Radio 104.5 in Philly was one that went against that direction). The point about if active takes off again it will push out the indie bands as it did in the 2000s. If they kept the wide range from folk to industrial, I wouldn't have had as much of a problem in the 2000s or if it happens again.

I'll PM you with my e-mail so we don't continue to go off topic.

But I'll end by getting back to 99X. It's just ashame that such a legendary station has gone through so much over the years. And sad to see it fail so badly now in terms of ratings. I imagine it will be gone in a month or two if this continues.

Last edited:
I know the new 99X will never succeed with their current playlist, but streamed all afternoon and while I probably could not see myself listening to it all the time (because I do like some older tracks), it was actually pretty refreshing. Heard a lot of tracks not being played on most alt stations. Then again, sadly, that's what will kill it.

You would like The Other Side of the River. It's WSRV HD-2. Google it - I think you can hear it on TuneIn.

I'll have to check it out. Local station here is finally starting to pick back up with new adds (shockingly even Blink 182 before it hit the charts). We'll see if it survives.

Saw Entercom is starting up a Alternative New Music Discovery show. Wish they'd put an alt station here in Greenville. Of course, they named it 7X7 using seven existing alt stations.

97-7 TOSOTR broadcasts from the WSRV/WSBB tower near Spout Springs Road in Flowery Branch. It is the best sounding alternative station. Plays nearly everything from the 90s that was played on 99X. Commercial free. Also plays like one new tune per hour. The play Gwinnett Braves and Gladiator games. I can receive it all the way from Roswell to Loganville before it starts to really get eaten up by Z97-7 in Milledgeville. In town, the station gets eaten up by OG97-9.

97-7 TOSOTR broadcasts from the WSRV/WSBB tower near Spout Springs Road in Flowery Branch. It is the best sounding alternative station. Plays nearly everything from the 90s that was played on 99X. Commercial free. Also plays like one new tune per hour. The play Gwinnett Braves and Gladiator games. I can receive it all the way from Roswell to Loganville before it starts to really get eaten up by Z97-7 in Milledgeville. In town, the station gets eaten up by OG97-9.

The thing I like about TOSOTR vs. other alt stations is that they play plenty of 80s alt--classic new wave and the like. This GenXer never got into grunge or 90s alt.

TOSOTR is moving at some point to the big cell tower near Discover Mills behind the Hampton Inn up on Ptree Ridge, and moving to 92.5 in the process: http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=W249CK-FX&s=C

The new signal should cover everything OTP east of 400 and north of I-20.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom