• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Go 95.3, hiphop?

It looks KZGO (the former KNOF) will "GO" Rhythmic Tuesday (January 5, 2016), this time using a mix of currents and local fare. This concept could work and should be interesting to see how well it does in the coming weeks.

I don't understand it. Minneapolis now has TWO Hip Hop stations. 95.3 will be more current Hip Hop while the 105 stations will be more classic Hip Hop? Yet there isn't a large enough African-American population in Minneapolis to support even one commercial FM Urban or Urban AC station in the past. Meanwhile, the market has no AC station.

According to Nielson Audio, the Twin Cities has a Black population of 8% and an Hispanic population of 5%, well below the national average and well below what I think could support Hip Hop on one FM outlet, let alone two. Yes I know, plenty of white and Latino listeners are tuned into to

I don't understand it. Minneapolis now has TWO Hip Hop stations. 95.3 will be more current Hip Hop while the 105 stations will be more classic Hip Hop? Yet there isn't a large enough African-American population in Minneapolis to support even one commercial FM Urban or Urban AC station in the past. Meanwhile, the market has no AC station.

Not all hip hop listeners are Black or Hispanic. Some hip hop stations have as many or more "other" listeners (Nielsen's term for non-Hispanic and non-African American listeners) as they do ethnic listeners.

According to Nielson Audio, the Twin Cities has a Black population of 8% and an Hispanic population of 5%, well below the national average and well below what I think could support Hip Hop on one FM outlet, let alone two. Yes I know, plenty of white and Latino listeners are tuned into to

Let's say that third of the 18-49 listeners who are Black or Hispanic listen to either station or both. That's about a 4 share. And let's say they get another half of their listeners from "other" that means 8 shares for the two stations.

So even if they don't get what might be a reasonable expectation, they could still do very, very well.

95.3 is doing an interesting mix of mainly Rhythmic and some Top 40 product, with the occasional local track thrown in. That market had been without Rhythmic CHR for several years.

There is:
89.9 KMOJ: Noncommercial Urban/R&B/Hip Hop/Urban AC
95.3: Rhythmic CHR
Hot 102.5: Classic Hip-Hop/R&B
105.1/3/7: Classic Hip-Hop/R&B

why would Minneapolis have 2 classic hip hop stations? Most markets don't even have one.
Strange.

I had never really paid close to this station until they just became a reporter and it is a different presentation for a Rhythm CHR that's for sure. Not to say it's wrong, just outside of the box sharing the same brand with it's sister station, and the music recipe doesn't seem like it's following the charts or the format trend at all. I've heard various stiffs from a few months ago, album cuts, songs that never charted, and several Throwbacks adding yet a third outlet to get Classic Hip Hop in the market. Could they be a "jack" type of Rhythm CHR where they want to seem anti hits? This station is not hit based at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom