• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas music on different formats

KJO 105.5, or KKJO, a CHR in St. Joseph, Mo. played all Christmas from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

KOST in Los Angeles was already finishing their second week of Christmas music by Thanksgiving.

Knoxville TN must be the least-Christmased market in the south (and the light displays suck too). There was no all-Christmas station in the market, and even heritage A/C WJXB (B97.5) sharply curtailed their holiday offerings this year. Usually they've gone all-Christmas for the weekends and the last week or so before Christmas, but this year, weekends were normal with some Christmas songs in the mix; and even the weekend before Christmas, it was 3 Christmas songs to 1 A/C song, with the regular airing of the Tom Kent "Ultimate Party" show on Saturday night. Really only all-Christmas on the eve and the day.

Knoxville TN must be the least-Christmased market in the south (and the light displays suck too). There was no all-Christmas station in the market, and even heritage A/C WJXB (B97.5) sharply curtailed their holiday offerings this year. Usually they've gone all-Christmas for the weekends and the last week or so before Christmas, but this year, weekends were normal with some Christmas songs in the mix; and even the weekend before Christmas, it was 3 Christmas songs to 1 A/C song, with the regular airing of the Tom Kent "Ultimate Party" show on Saturday night. Really only all-Christmas on the eve and the day.

I wanna move to Knoxville.............. :p

--Russell

Hasn't there been one or two in the past that went to January 6th? That's the day of Epiphany.

Their sister station, Mix 92.9 (WJXA) here in Nashville, was all-Christmas from Thanksgiving (November 26th) through Christmas. Over the last couple of years, they have backpedaled a bit, one year starting as early as November 18th! I knew that at some point, they would start having diminishing returns from starting TOO early, and they would feel the backlash. The FISH (Christian AC) still previews Christmas music the Saturday before Thanksgiving ( November 21st, this year) and also goes full-time with it on Thanksgiving. I believe that they, too, continued with it beyond Christmas, but Mix 92.9, while still playing some yuletide tunes, usually begins dialing it back right after Christmas.

I wish that Mix 92.9 would bring back the Tom Kent party music. They now have Kent playing '90s tunes on Saturday nights.

Hasn't there been one or two in the past that went to January 6th? That's the day of Epiphany.

I actually like when a station doesn't just stop the Christmas music at some fixed time on Christmas day.
After all the Christmas build-up, it's less of a shock to the listener if the station takes the Christmas music away over a period of days.
It eases the post-Christmas letdown. The twelfth day of Christmas is January 6 ... the Epiphany.

firepoint525 ... you beat me to it!

.... And I have a very good friend who just HATES Christmas music.
I've always thought of it as the annual return of a good friend. Music (much of it) that I've heard my entire life and welcome back each year.
I have been fortunate. My childhood Christmas memories are about as good as they could be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom