• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kiss 104 to Run Temporary Morning Show

All Access is reporting that Rodney Ho reported that while Tom Joyner is away for the holiday, Kiss 104 will experiment with a temporary morning show consisting of Sasha the Diva, Art Terrell and (Art's comedy sidekick) Roy Wood, Jr.

Rumors had surfaced that Joyner will soon be forced to retire, rumors that are being denied by the Joyner camp. Nevertheless, Joyner has been losing some stations and is being downgraded in DC from WMMJ-FM to WOL-AM.

Cox is probably wise to prepare themselves in case they do lose Tom Joyner. But why use 3 hosts? Sounds like one too many to me. I also wonder whether Kiss would really have the budget to do a permanent local morning show, even with 2 hosts. My guess is that after Joyner's retirement, another major Urban AC morning show will emerge (in addition to Steve Harvey and the declining Russ Parr Show).

It would be nice to have Micheal Baisden back on the radio. Also, don't forget, Frank Ski is now a free agent. If Cox has the budget to bring Frank Ski back to Atlanta, they could easily top V-103.

The second Ski tops the existing flow for the station plus his cost, he would be there. Don't hold your breath waiting for that second.

Cox is probably wise to prepare themselves in case they do lose Tom Joyner. But why use 3 hosts? Sounds like one too many to me. I also wonder whether Kiss would really have the budget to do a permanent local morning show, even with 2 hosts. My guess is that after Joyner's retirement, another major Urban AC morning show will emerge (in addition to Steve Harvey and the declining Russ Parr Show).

But who is the person that's being groomed to take over when Joyner eventually retires? Perhaps his constant fill-in Skip Murphy? Could Michael Baisden work his way back and do morning radio?

At the same time, why does a large market like Atlanta need a syndicated morning show? At least, the Bert Show and Rickey Smiley are based in Atlanta.

It is really hard to "recreate" AM drive success on another station in the same market. Randy and Spif while successful at the old Fox 97 (before Cox ownership) never did well at Clear Channel, and 106.7 (with the Citadel bankruptcy and Cumulus taking over 106.7's True Oldies should not be held against them). Gary Mckey never had success with Cox after his 94Q days. Even the late great Skinny Bobby Harper could not save 920 WGST. But due to the large amount of money spent between 5 AM and 10 AM program directors will "gamble" with retread talent. IIRC Steve McCoy did OK on both Z93 and Star 94.

IMHO: Cox had Tom Joyner on not as "savings" but they need a talent that could take on Frank and Wanda.

Urban was the first format where syndicated morning shows scored big ratings and became favored over local morning shows in major markets.

Remember, many Urban AC stations decided to go live and local after Michael Baisden's syndicated afternoon show was replaced by D.L. Hughley. Doug Banks also has a syndicated afternoon shows that was available for stations to pick up as well. It makes me think that Cox is trying to prepare itself just in case the rumor of Joyner leaving becomes true. It seems like Russ Parr maybe his replacement, but his morning show is very stale!

According to Urbaninsite, Jay Anthony Brown has quit the the TJMS due to a 50% pay cut. Yikes, what's really going on?

It would be nice to have Micheal Baisden back on the radio. Also, don't forget, Frank Ski is now a free agent. If Cox has the budget to bring Frank Ski back to Atlanta, they could easily top V-103.

No, Kiss wouldn't be able to top V-103 with Frank Ski in the morning at all. The reason why V-103 dominates in the mornings is because Ryan is a beloved local and Wanda Smith is an equal beloved transplant (Miami native) and they mesh together well. The only reason why Frank Ski was winning in the mornings on V was because of Wanda, so without Wanda Frank Ski on Kiss would not be as competitive as V-103. Atlanta is an unique urban radio market where music programming and hosts play off each other well, and Frank Ski was very much disliked on the air at the end of his time on V-103. V-103 dominates because it is full-service urban and has local hosts, and they can (and will) tweak their music programming to remain extremely competitive. Remember a decade ago Hot was V's main competitor and now it's Kiss & Majic with Hot & Streetz as secondary(ies).

Last edited:
Remember, many Urban AC stations decided to go live and local after Michael Baisden's syndicated afternoon show was replaced by D.L. Hughley. Doug Banks also has a syndicated afternoon shows that was available for stations to pick up as well. It makes me think that Cox is trying to prepare itself just in case the rumor of Joyner leaving becomes true. It seems like Russ Parr maybe his replacement, but his morning show is very stale!

Apparently according to some recent articles, word has it that Joyner's business partner betrayed him by trying to force him into retirement for money. But Radio One did replace Joyner on WMMJ "Majic 102.3" with Parr a few days ago. Joyner was moved to WOL while WKYS went live and local with The Fam featuring Lil Mo and DJ Quick Silva, both of whom were on the Baltimore cluster. On another note, R1 put on Ed Lover on all five of their throwback hip hop outlets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom