• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bob Struble Out as HD Radio Chief

Australia's shortwave service is so popular with DXers that they no longer offer QSL cards because the correspondence was costing too much. So someone somewhere is still listening.

Australia's SW service is down to three transmitters on two frequencies each. Radio New Zealand is in even worse shape, but they seem to want to keep DRM active.

RN Amazonia booms in here each night on 11780 kHz with interesting music.

Their music is excellent, even though I don't speak a word of Portuguese. They beam straight north, too.

And CFRB in Toronto still has their 6070 kHz transmission with 1 kW. I dunno who it's for or if they even know it's still on, but it's nice to listen to and is a solid catch here in the US at night.

IIRC, they upgraded their facilities about a year ago. I used to never hear them in Phoenix, but I do during the winter now. I don't have any idea who their target audience is other than maybe northern Ontario.

There are a few places that have very limited service, but with satellites for TV the paradigm has shifted with radio being less important.

That's true. About three months ago I saw data including Micronesia and most of Africa running 19% radio (of any band) and direct-to-home-satellite at 98%.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom