• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cutting-edge CHRs?

tall_guy1

Star Participant
I'm talking about CHRs that are "on" new hits earlier than everybody else and don't spin around "worn out" songs as much, and presumably have edge with music choice. Have any examples?

I'm talking about CHRs that are "on" new hits earlier than everybody else and don't spin around "worn out" songs as much, and presumably have edge with music choice. Have any examples?

SiriusXM's Hits 1 has a reputation for taking chances on new releases, but that's satellite. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the FM CHR target audience (female 18-34) actually WANT to hear hot new songs they love as often as possible for weeks and weeks? If it didn't, then CHR would be tanking in its target demo and big changes would be in store, right? So am I right in assuming that there's no such thing as a "worn out" song until the listeners start tuning out?

So am I right in assuming that there's no such thing as a "worn out" song until the listeners start tuning out?

The first PD I worked CHR under used to say "about the time the jocks have gotten tired of it, the audience is just starting to notice it" about new songs. Which is to say that "worn out" or "burnt to a crisp" tends to be a term used only by listeners who tune in for abnormally high periods of time, and therefore notice every single play of a song. Well, duh ... if you listen that much, none of our usual scheduling tools to prevent songs playing at the same time of day for several days in a row (to match normal listening habits) are going to work.

The vast majority won't notice all those plays until around the point we take a song down to recurrent, and even though sales figures aren't a good indicator of how a song will hold up over the years, when they show sales of a current are starting downhill, it's probably time to shift it down and find something up-and-coming to replace it in power rotation.

So it's not so much "when they tune out" ... more like "when everyone who wants a copy has bought one" that tells you when a song has peaked in popularity.

So am I right in assuming that there's no such thing as a "worn out" song until the listeners start tuning out?

And in PPM markets, where stations have the most weight in the national charts, programmers at most stations also look at MScore data.

http://www.mediamonitors.com/services/mscore

This allows us to see when a song is generating tune-out in excess for the normal ebb and flow of stations.

So when a song is dropped or slowed down, it is generally due to callout or MScore indicating that it is causing tune out or turning negative.

Try 91.7 WEEM (high school CHR)

We have a special category called "Shot In The Dark", here's this week's adds to that category:

That Poppy "Lowlife:
Bo Napoleon "If It's OK"
Strumbellas "Spirits"
1975 "The Sound"
Weeknd/Labrinth "Losers"

These shots in the dark have found fantastic adds like Fifth Harmony "Worth It", Rachael Platten "Fight Song", Max "Gibberish", Tinashe "All Hands On Deck", Little Mix "Black Magic", and many many more!

I'll have to check you guys out again at some point. Interesting that you mention Fight Song, I heard that first on AC actually.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom