• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Southeast Alaska and San Luis Obispo, CA market airchecks wanted

AKDXer

Frequent Participant
I've always wanted to know what any of the below stations sounded like during the '60s (if they were on yet, many in my list weren't yet)-early '00s:

Atascadero, CA (San Luis Obispo market):
Anything and everything, but especially airchecks of:
-What's now KKAL 92.5, but was several different call letter iterations since it's 1972 sign-on, and has been a slew of formats. Especially their first format, and what they sounded like around 1997.

-early KZOZ 93.3, also emphasis on the '80s and '90s

-100.5 KXDZ "The Beach" when it first came on the air, as "The California Sound" in 2001.

Sitka, AK:
-does anyone have the test broadcast for KCAW 104.7 "Raven Radio" when it first came on in 1982?
-Or old airchecks of KIFW 1230? (1990s or earlier)
-Or 103.1 KSBZ "The Rock"'s first CHR/classic rock format from 1990 when it signed on the air until 2000 when it flipped to country?

Juneau, AK:

ANYTHING pre-2000s of 800 KINY
KSUP 106.3 "Mix 106"'s old rock format
KTKU "Taku 105"'s old top-40 format during the '80s

Petersburg, AK:
-old KFSK 100.9 or now-defunct-and-off-the-air KRSA 580 airchecks

Ketchikan, AK:
'90s or earlier airchecks of 930 KTKN

I've always wanted to know what any of the below stations sounded like during the '60s (if they were on yet, many in my list weren't yet)-early '00s:

Atascadero, CA (San Luis Obispo market):
Anything and everything, but especially airchecks of:
-What's now KKAL 92.5, but was several different call letter iterations since it's 1972 sign-on, and has been a slew of formats. Especially their first format, and what they sounded like around 1997.

-early KZOZ 93.3, also emphasis on the '80s and '90s

-100.5 KXDZ "The Beach" when it first came on the air, as "The California Sound" in 2001.

Sitka, AK:
-does anyone have the test broadcast for KCAW 104.7 "Raven Radio" when it first came on in 1982?
-Or old airchecks of KIFW 1230? (1990s or earlier)
-Or 103.1 KSBZ "The Rock"'s first CHR/classic rock format from 1990 when it signed on the air until 2000 when it flipped to country?

Juneau, AK:

ANYTHING pre-2000s of 800 KINY
KSUP 106.3 "Mix 106"'s old rock format
KTKU "Taku 105"'s old top-40 format during the '80s

Petersburg, AK:
-old KFSK 100.9 or now-defunct-and-off-the-air KRSA 580 airchecks

Ketchikan, AK:
'90s or earlier airchecks of 930 KTKN

I drove to Alaska in 1983 and honestly don't remember any FM at all. It seems like KFQD must have been Top 40 or close or I wouldn't've listened to it. The only thing I remember in Southeast Alaska was a peculiar Classic Rock station on AM. I 'm not sure there WAS such a format yet but there it was, all late 60s, as I recall.

Classic rock was probably KTKN, if not KINY. KINY has been around since 1935, long before Alaska became a state.

Do you remember where in Southeast you heard it? Sounds a lot like KINY or KTKN, though, although currently those stations are more of an AC outlet, (Radio-Locator calls them such) but they're more of a full-service format IMHO...KTKN runs Rush Limbaugh too and some overnight talk show...could be Coast to Coast but I don't think it is.

Also it could have been KIFW/1230 Sitka, but they're only 1Kw.

And yeah, KINY has been around since 1935. Anyone have any vintage airchecks of THAT?

Anybody know when KTKN first came on?

Classic rock was probably KTKN, if not KINY. KINY has been around since 1935, long before Alaska became a state.

I just scanned a verification of reception of KINY just outside Philadelphia back a few years in 1993. It did get out.

Last edited:
Do you remember where in Southeast you heard it? Sounds a lot like KINY or KTKN, though, although currently those stations are more of an AC outlet, (Radio-Locator calls them such) but they're more of a full-service format IMHO...KTKN runs Rush Limbaugh too and some overnight talk show...could be Coast to Coast but I don't think it is.

It seems to me it was after getting off the ferry but it was a local signal on what seemed like a local channel like 1450 or 1340 maybe. How do you feel about "Haines"? If I knew there was going to be a test a third of a century later, I would've taken notes! :)

You're kidding! Got a recording of that to share by any chance? That's amazing!

No, it was DX by another person who has since passed away. I am scanning his "verie" collection... (AM DXers call QSL's "veries" as short for "verification of reception")... but there were no recordings. The collection has about 4,000 medium wave veries in it. The scanning is a project for the National Radio Club and I will also have the collection on www.americanradiohistory.com as well.

That distance just amazes me! I may have some more recent airchecks of KINY somewhere myself.

That distance just amazes me! I may have some more recent airchecks of KINY somewhere myself.

My guess, having heard Alaska (KFAR-660) from Ohio myself back in about 1962 is that there was something like a very auroral condition that minimized southern and parallel latitudes as 800 is a busy channel, even back in 1993.

That same DXer only heard 6 Alaskan stations, but two dozen or more Hawaiian stations... he even heard more from New Zealand than from Alaska.

Yeah, must have been auroral or something. I've never heard Anchorage or Fairbanks stations down here in Southeast AK. Granted I've never invested in an exceptionally good DX setup either.

Found some Southeast radio station logos/promos in an old edition of a magazine called the Alaskan Southeaster, dated July 2000. I learned a couple

-I never knew KINY ran Coast to Coast AM!
-I never knew KSBZ 103.1 in Sitka's former country branding until now. It was "Buzzin' Country". Anybody have any air checks of that? Would love to hear any old IDs/bumpers/promos for them, I think I may vaguely remember being one or two places where I heard the station back when it ran that format but can't remember any bumpers/legal IDs. Similarly, when it first went to classic rock/active rock again, anybody got any air checks of that? I have some air checks somewhere of it in its current classic rock form.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom