What to do to gain more site participation? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do to gain more site participation?

purpledevil
    I'd like to give the counterpoint to that, if I may. If Frank does that, that'll be so long for many of us here on the forums. I certainly wouldn't appreciate someone being placed on a pedestal above me, nor do I wish to be treated as a 2nd class citizen here. That would be a grave error, as the participation on these boards overall would then rival that of its chief competitor. There's a glaring and valid reason the competing board has very little community participation in most areas of its subforums. The clarification you wish to have implemented here, is in full force over there. Perhaps that's the needed separation you seek, K.M. That might be an intriguing idea to present to the administration over there. Full on radio industry only forums and discussion, while over here we'll be reminiscing of back when radio was. It's just getting harder to remember as the years continue to pass.

I don't know, K.M. That came across a bit elitist to me. Maybe it's just me.

Account Closed
    Purple, if you haven't clicked on that pre-filled search link in post #8 and read some of the more contentious threads I think it will be clearer what I meant.

I just don't want any more of those abominations created simply because circular arguments weren't halted quickly.

purpledevil
    Quote Originally Posted by K.M. Richards View Post
    Purple, if you haven't clicked on that pre-filled search link in post #8 and read some of the more contentious threads I think it will be clearer what I meant.

I just don't want any more of those abominations created simply because circular arguments weren't halted quickly.
    Wish I could, K.M. For some reason, I get a "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." message when clicking the link highlighted in blue. That's peculiar, I don't typically have issues with the functionality of the links. I know what you mean though. I've seen it, we've all seen it, and sure it gets to be frustrating to read the same old tired schtick countless times. We've got one down in our subforum, that I'm sure you've come across in your reading. The proposal of a separatist state, if you will, here at RD is way over reaching however. Agreed that some threads are way out living their intended natural lives, but that can be policed as you duly noted and that comes from Frank getting a little help.

It appears to me, and should to anyone paying attention, that he is going this whole thing all alone. He can't be everywhere at once, of course. Perhaps a tap on the shoulder of a couple of the long time participants to help assist in the monitoring of the collective would help take some of the load off of Frank and keep real , open discussion flowing freely without the constant beating of one's head attempting to stress a point. There's plenty of longtimers around here, certainly willing happy to give back to the community...or so I would hope. We've all had a free ride around here for years. Why not give back to those that provide an open place for us to "chew the cud"? Wouldn't you like to be able to give a little piece of your time back to RD to help Frank out by monitoring the California boards? I know I'd be willing to keep an eye out for the Lone Star, if called upon. After all, I'm here a significant enough amount of time anyway.

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by purpledevil View Post
    Wish I could, K.M. For some reason, I get a "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." message when clicking the link highlighted in blue.
    Huh. It's doing that for me now too.

I don't even start to understand how this board's software works.

Go to advanced search click POSTS and enter the exact name in the User Name field.

I'll have more on this subject later.
    Last edited by frankberry; 12-16-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    Sign up for FREE Radio Ink's Daily Headlines and get Instant Access to Every 2016 Issue of Radio Ink Magazine.
    http://radioink.com/free-gift-2015-archive/

Closed Account
    Quote Originally Posted by K.M. Richards View Post
    Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

Anyone who wants to see your own history of disrespecting the professionals, creating circular arguments, and insisting that you are right in the face of factual answers to your questions and opinions need only search the RD archives for your user name and read threads in which you were an active (and forceful) participant. (I recommend any of the threads that went beyond three pages, as it was your forcefulness that carried those threads far beyond what should have been their active life.)

The only people who see it your way are "the fans". And you're not the target demo for this board.
    In the time I've been posting here, not once have I intentionally "disrespected" the pros. I have disagreed yes, but not disrespected them. And to prove that recently, I have not posted any of my counter opinions to any of you since August 2015 and nor will I ever attempt to. It was the intensity of such debates that may or may have not led to repeated postings that you took to exception.

As for disrespect, may I remind you that calling me a troll back in August on one of those long threads you wish Purple to see was truly disrespectful and insulting. Granted, Frank deleted those posts and my response back then. I can see why people have decided to leave this board.

Let me ask you something......why do you have to try to prove a point by offering the opportunity for others to go back months and years and view posts made by myself, that frankly are no longer relevant? What's the purpose in that? It's a civil opinion vs. yours. And you're making seem that I was the only one posting on these threads. You also had Steve, Super Radio Fan, Land Tuna and many others that posted. And you have some that are banned as well. Holding online grudges against people you disagree with, really is futile. So, keep on posting KM, you are really good at that. Gladly, I will have none of it regarding radio programming, on this board anyways, since your ultimate goal is to no longer have radio fans posting here or for them to be banned if they disagree with you and your colleagues repeatedly.

Btw, I never did throw that radio clock away, it's actually a good tool.......enjoy your holidays.
    Last edited by oldies76; 12-16-2015 at 01:47 PM.

I want to respond to a couple of posts in this thread.

(purpledevil) "Agreed that some threads are way out living their intended natural lives, but that can be policed as you duly noted and that comes from Frank getting a little help.
    It appears to me, and should to anyone paying attention, that he is going this whole thing all alone. He can't be everywhere at once, of course. Perhaps a tap on the shoulder of a couple of the long time participants to help assist in the monitoring of the collective would help take some of the load off of Frank and keep real , open discussion flowing freely without the constant beating of one's head attempting to stress a point. There's plenty of longtimers around here, certainly willing happy to give back to the community...or so I would hope. We've all had a free ride around here for years. Why not give back to those that provide an open place for us to "chew the cud"? Wouldn't you like to be able to give a little piece of your time back to RD to help Frank out by monitoring the California boards? I know I'd be willing to keep an eye out for the Lone Star, if called upon. After all, I'm here a significant enough amount of time anyway."

If you see posts which are just too "out there," please send me a PM or an email (radiodiscussions.online@gmail.com). I appreciate the extra eyes .... which brings me to another, personal subject.
    A few weeks ago, I suffered a detached retina in my right eye. I've had surgery to re-attach the retina and my vision in that eye is slowly returning. Still, it's difficult for me to read text on a computer screen.

(purpledevil) "This is legitimate with a capital L. Frank, I've disagreed with you on a couple of occasions, but you are indeed a fair moderator and a far cry from the heavy handed moderation this site and its membership has faced in the past. I thank you for the tireless hours you put in here and giving us all a forum to congregate."

Thank you. I do my best to be fair.
    Sign up for FREE Radio Ink's Daily Headlines and get Instant Access to Every 2016 Issue of Radio Ink Magazine.

And this shows a good example. Oldies76 has his opinion. His opinion is 100% legit and valid as an opinion and a perfectly legit complaint. Then the programmer responds with industry gleaned research and data. The poster then says 'you have your opinion and I have mine'. The point, the Programmer's response is not an opinion. What we try to do is get the poster to understand radio from the inside, yet actual fact gets called a personal opinion.

And the other issue is Programmers are employees. We do what our bosses tell us to do. So, when that is not to the liking of the poster, we are the culprit that is refusing to yield to listener demands, playing radio dictator, force feeding a public what they don't want. In reality we are doing what our bosses want us to do. I suppose the thing that puzzles me most, is the poster fails to realize, no matter how it is worded, that just like any business, if a radio station does not do what its customers want (listeners and advertisers), it fails. An example is how 'nobody listens to radio anymore because of the long commercial breaks' when any logical mind would conclude the opposite...the commercials are there because people are listening.

Again it is the occasional agitator that is the issue, not the vast majority of the posters.

As Purpledevil pointed out, the complaints about radio are almost identical everywhere you go. Do I feel radio has issues, yes. Do I think these issues will be addressed, yes, at some point. But it is not at all easy. To change or, perhaps a better word, evolve, requires an industry and all the other associated groups to evolve as well. We hear what you are saying, in fact many of us agree, and there have been many discussions within the walls of radio stations. We just can't get everyone on the same page because no matter what we do, there's enough competitors that will scoop up our share of revenue if we do try to change. In reality, at this point, radio is doing well considering, in fact quite well, but as our listeners continue to evolve, so must radio and the trick is to get everybody that affects our business to play along. Until they will, radio is stuck. With that said, radio has never been perfect and is likely the most perfect it has ever been right now versus in the past. I suspect if we went back 40 or 50 years the same complaints about radio were the hot buttons then.

I offer this post as a slice of mind from a General Manager at a major market AM station (not a major player, however), with years in sales, years in programming and some years in management. And I might be a General Manager, but I have two bosses to please for my paycheck and by no means some supreme expert but just a guy earning a paycheck in a business I am passionate about. More than that, I am a student of radio and an avid radio listener. I am also not in the demographic where ad agencies buy radio. So, when one says they dislike their music vanishing from radio I share that dislike, but radio is not about me and what I want.

And oldies76, might I point out you may have disrespected a poster. Only that person can say, not you, although it might not have been your intention. Likewise I hope I have not disrespected a poster myself and if my posts have left you feeling disrespected, please accept my apology, as you know if I have, while I may not realize I have. Like you, that would not have been my intention.

This is directly from Streamline management as a response to a post by K.M. Richards:

(K.M. Richards) "Frank, I'd like it clarified that this is a radio industry board first, and a "fan" (music or radio) board second."

Frank, We can't exclude people - we want diversity of opinions - and while that opens door to some non-professionals and wanna-be's - that's why you monitor things. If someone is off the wall completely or doesn't stay on track with the thread (tries to go off or steer to an unrelated topic), you intervene and/or shut them down.

Account Closed
    I'm okay with that, Frank, but I still believe there needs to be a published rule on the matter of circular discussions, else it is too easy for someone to (as a certain person has in this thread) proclaim their innocence when anyone who read their posts in certain threads could see the circularity.

Just spell it out in black and white, removing any ambiguity.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast