• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

iPhone vs Android

M

mrtejano

I have always been a huge fan of HTC PHONES but I recently switched to an IPhone. I bought iPhone 5s, I love it, it's almost perfect I love the battery life. I love IMessage ect ect the only thing I hate is the memory. It has a 32 gb memory but I take a few pictures and it gets full fast. I had the HTC M7 and it was also a 32 gb phone but it never got full fast like the IPhone. Does anyone know why?

It's loaded with software.

But with my HTC it came with 32 gbs stock but with all the hardware I ended up with like 28gbs to spare . With iPhone I have like 25 gbs to spare but they get full fast with the pictures I take .

25 gbs is a lot of pictures!
Maybe I'm not explaining correctly, with IPhone I take like 30 pics and like 5 10 minute videos and it gets full. When I had android phones I could have like 600 pictures and like 30 videos and my memory was still empty

Maybe I'm not explaining correctly, with IPhone I take like 30 pics and like 5 10 minute videos and it gets full. When I had android phones I could have like 600 pictures and like 30 videos and my memory was still empty

1. That's what you get for switching to crApple. :D

2. Android is far from a perfect OS, but it allows the owner of the phone to do whatever he/she pleases with it. An iPhone is controlled by Apple and its apps. to the point that it's not really yours.

My girlfriend had an iPhone 5 (a gift from her Apple-fanboy brother) and hated it. Too much jumping through Apple hoops (read: iTunes) to put HER stuff on HER phone. I replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy 4 and her life was much better.

He also bought her an iMac 3 years ago, which I bought off of her recently. She hated the thing and refused to use it, but I have a use for it. Nice hardware, and the OSX low-level tools are similar to those in most Linux distros. But the GUI is horrid, and the same iCrap is still necessary to do much with it, as far as entertainment (music, movies, etc.) goes. Fortunately it runs Linux Mint in a virtual machine, which is how I use it 99% of the time.

Yeah I am seriously considering going back to Google and buy myself an HTC PHONE should I buy the M9? Or wait to see if they come up with an M10???

Yeah I am seriously considering going back to Google and buy myself an HTC PHONE should I buy the M9? Or wait to see if they come up with an M10???

I've never owned an HTC phone, so I'm not familiar with them. I'm a Samsung user and will keep recommending them until I have a reason to do otherwise. Definitely forget Motorola or LG. Hardware is iffy in both cases. I've owned good and bad from both companies, but the bad were the most recent. I also have professional reasons to avoid (read: boycott) LG, but their cellphones are not the direct reason for that.

I've never owned an HTC phone, so I'm not familiar with them. I'm a Samsung user and will keep recommending them until I have a reason to do otherwise. Definitely forget Motorola or LG. Hardware is iffy in both cases. I've owned good and bad from both companies, but the bad were the most recent. I also have professional reasons to avoid (read: boycott) LG, but their cellphones are not the direct reason for that.

I have had HTC since the EVO came out. Well actually since HTC had that Windows 6.5 phone and have love them since. I tried the Samsung behold, Samsung EPIC4g and didn't like them.

KeithE4 beat me to it this morning at 0216 (paragraphs 1 and 2).

"He also bought her an Mac 3 years ago, which I bought off of her recently. She hated the thing and refused to use it, but I have a use for it. Nice hardware, and the OS/X low-level tools are similar to those in most Linux distros. But the GUI is horrid, and the same Crap is still necessary to do much with it, as far as entertainment (music, movies, etc.) goes. Fortunately it runs Linux Mint in a virtual machine, which is how I use it 99% of the time."

Asking around various forums and newsgroups, it appears the general consensus as to practical usage of I-Mac hardware calls for a suitable length of galvanised steel chain or 1" manila cable, one end of which is to be tied securely around the computer, adding hooks or eye-loops into the chassis if necessary. This effectively converts the unit into a fine anchor for a small watercraft. If anybody has better suggestions, please do post them in subsequent replies.

Last edited:
Definitely forget Motorola or LG. Hardware is iffy in both cases.

I've had a Moto G2 for about the past six months and have had no hardware issues at all. Great battery life. The only negatives I would cast upon it are its size and weight (it is larger which is nice but is much heavier than others) and the GUI is not as easy to use as I think it could be. Embedded operations are in illogical locations. It operates great though and was significantly less expensive than other like products.

The iPhone 5s has an 8-megapixel camera while the HTC One M7 has a 4-megapixel. The iPhone 5s features HDR (High Dynamic Range) which produces a normal photo and an HDR rendered photo. So, each time you take a photo with your phone camera it stores both versions of the photo, the HDR rendered photo and the normal photo which would take up storage space on your phone. You can either turn HDR off while taking photos or you could leave it on and go to Settings -> Photos and Camera -> Switch off Keep Normal Photo. That way each time you take a photo it discards the normal photo and only stores the HDR rendered photo.

Perhaps, it's the songs you stored on your phone. So, if you have a lot of songs synced from iTunes which could be the reason why you ran out of storage so quickly. One thing you could do is when you sync your music from iTunes to your iPhone, you could scroll down to Options and put a check mark next to "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 AAC" and then sync your iPhone again.

Apps on iOS are generally larger than apps on Android, so if you downloaded a lot of apps like about the same amount of apps you downloaded to your HTC One, it makes a big difference between how much storage you consumed on iOS vs Android. So I believe that's the reason why you ran out of space so quickly on your iPhone.

Thank you Andrew the cheapest solution for me was to buy an IPod touch. So I store all the apps that I can on the iPod and communication apps on my iPhone. You might say WOW CARRYING 2 DEVICES but I o my carry the iPod with me if I know imma be taking pictures if not I leave it home. I have a Sony car stereo that has a port for USB so I don't even carry the iPod when traveling.

That's a great choice. I had a 64GB iPod Touch (4th generation) which doesn't support iOS 7 or up and most apps required iOS 7 and up by Spring 2014. I was waiting for the 6th gen to come out in Fall 2014 with the iPhone 6 and 6+ which didn't happen. It didn't came out till Summer 2015 which is right before the iPhone 6s and 6s+ came out. I didn't wanted to upgrade to the 5th gen because I know it won't handle iOS 8 and 9 so well and Apple will likely drop support for the 5th gen when iOS 10 is released.

I ended up getting the 16GB iPhone 5s with T-Mobile when they were giving me a 20% discount offer off any phone I purchased from them within the period. I tried to go for the 6, but it was out-of-stock, so I went with the 5s. I felt satisfied with my purchase. It seems like at the time, I had ran out of choices of upgrading to an iPod Touch that I could potentially use for the next 3 years before Apple stops supporting the device for software updates. My iPhone 5s will likely be supported by Apple's software udpates for the next 2 years from now (probably up to iOS 11).

As of now the iPod Touch (5th generation), iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and iPad Mini is currently supported by the latest software which is iOS 9.2.1. Although it's clear that these devices had been terribly crippled since the upgrade to iOS 8. Apple is very likely going to drop support for these devices when they release iOS 10 this Fall. I also like to let you know that iOS 6 ran terribly slow on my iPod Touch (4th generation).

Apple had been slow at releasing iPod Touch. In Fall 2014, it was rumored that Apple may as well discontinue the iPod Touch, iPod Nano, and iPod Shuffle family altogether in the near future. It was shocking that last summer that Apple did refreshed the whole iPod family with new color options and the iPod Touch was refreshed with new hardware from the iPhone 6 including the Apple A8 chip and 1GB of RAM. Meaning that the iPod Touch (6th generation) will likely be supported by Apple's software updates for the next 3 years (probably up to iOS 12), so it's actually good to get the new iPod Touch now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom