• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRAS and GPB

Does anyone have any update on GPB on WRAS? Was wondering when they re-negotiation and renewal of the lease would be and when GPB will want to take over the signal 24/7.

Soon I hope!

Why do you hope GPB "takes over" WRAS "soon?"
I'm guessing you're affiliated with GPB. I'm also guessing you DO know the namne of Teya's dog...

Why do you hope GPB "takes over" WRAS "soon?"
I'm guessing you're affiliated with GPB. I'm also guessing you DO know the namne of Teya's dog...

I'm hoping GPB takes over the rest of the signal because I get WRAS better in my home than I can WABE. Nothing against WABE, but that WRAS signal is a blowtorch in my neighborhood.

Plus the current nighttime format on WRAS is horrid. Seems a waste.

I thought WRAS had a construction permit to move downtown. It seems that would move the "blowtorch" away from your neighborhood. I wonder if WRAS is still planning to move?

Increase in antenna height, reduced ERP and a directional antenna.
Quite a change in facilities.

I thought her dog's name was Chip Rogers.....?

No, that's not it. The dog is Teya -- Gov. Nathan Deal is the one holding the GPB leash.

As for "Mr. Radio", could he be the same one mentioned in this piece from the "My Darling Atlanta" blog?

http://mydarlingatlanta.com/2015/02...ecker-teya-ryan-and-the-theft-of-wras-part-i/

--Russell

[FULL DISCLOSURE: I worked many years for GPB in the Savannah studio, before our entire staff was WRAS'ed early in 2014. "Rebooted", as it was lovingly put by the radio VP. I hadn't really given much thought to this situation in some time, as I've moved on and now happily working in public radio in Louisville, with far more important things on my mind. But reading this blog made me revisit a lot of the painful prelude, and reminded me: there was GPB pre-Teya, and GPB after. Neither organization resembles the other, except for staff who've worked both eras. I still miss greatly the old GPB and all the great times I had with colleagues I enjoyed, but the new GPB did me a favor in their "reboot" -- my current job has no government politics involved. The air I breathe today is clean.]

It is wrong to make Teya Ryan the enemy here. Ms. Ryan only did what she was hired to do which was to "grow" GPB. To run a state wide network and not cover the capitol city is a problem...I agree.
The GSU/WRAS students have not used their remaining airtime very effectively. I have never heard them promote their stream or HD2 channel. Most of the music they play sounds horrible, artistically and technically. But learning to use media resources is an important part of the education process today. The media holds the true power and those who learn to use it effectively will set the agenda for all future political and social discussion.

It is wrong to make Teya Ryan the enemy here. Ms. Ryan only did what she was hired to do which was to "grow" GPB. To run a state wide network and not cover the capitol city is a problem...I agree.
The GSU/WRAS students have not used their remaining airtime very effectively. I have never heard them promote their stream or HD2 channel. Most of the music they play sounds horrible, artistically and technically. But learning to use media resources is an important part of the education process today. The media holds the true power and those who learn to use it effectively will set the agenda for all future political and social discussion.

I agree with you 100%, wavo. Well stated!

There was a state-wide music program that the students were charged with producing, but never did. They claimed that they "didn't trust" GPB. That equates to apathy. There's an opportunity to produce something that would go state-wide on the GPB network, and the kids refuse to produce it. It shows how interested they are in radio. They just want to play their favorite records.

If those kids were producing real content (music shows, public affairs shows, talk shows), then I would hope they could continue to be on the big, terrestrial signal. The next generation of broadcasters needs a place to learn and hone their craft. But if they won't use that signal to their advantage, then I can't blame GPB for cutting in.

wavo is a cool handle. I assume it's a reference to the station at 1420 that is now WATB.

The state of college radio in the past 12+ years has gone to crap...

Back "in my day" (early 2000's), our college station was sort of typical of smaller schools. Less than 250w, sign on with student programming, shut it down after everyone was done for the night.

As the town we were in received very shaky NPR signals, we had the opportunity to upgrade our signal from 50w to 250w, upgrade the antenna, and received very basic PC automation equipment. Only catch was, when student programming wasn't on, we kept the transmitter running and simulcasted one of those iffy NPR stations from 60 miles away. They provided the MD-101A and an antenna to simulcast.

When I returned for a few weeks in 2011, I was shocked. Instead of hearing student programming on the signal during the normal 7p-3a "student" slot, they were running NPR for all but one 2 hour show most nights.

Asked the student advisor/engineer what happened (there were programs that were scheduled to run during that time), he said they had to relax rules on missing broadcasts to prevent a massive drop in the "radio club" at the school. 75% of those who were actually part of the on-air crew never bothered to show up after the novelty wore off in a few weeks. Those who did their shows pretty much ran them off their cellphones, anyway. Those kids were, by default, in charge of the station as many of the elected board members of the station didn't even attend meetings!

I would like to imagine this has something to do with the apathy that this college generation has for basically everything. Something tells me it's much, much deeper than that, though. I'm of the thought that less and less people are interested in terrestrial radio as it is. When you've driven a college-age kid's car and see it still has the factory radio presets on it, the industry in general should take notice.

There are so many examples of student stations that could be so much more, but are left to rot on the vine due to lack of participation and interest.

Radio-X

There was a state-wide music program that the students were charged with producing, but never did. They claimed that they "didn't trust" GPB. That equates to apathy. There's an opportunity to produce something that would go state-wide on the GPB network, and the kids refuse to produce it. It shows how interested they are in radio. They just want to play their favorite records.

What was the name of that "state-wide music program" which GPB offered to run on their statewide network?

I'm not down there, and the WRAS flap ignited after I'd left the state. But from what I gleam, the opportunities given GSU students have been little more than a few intern slots (read: "cream and sugar?"), and the occasional "Morning Edition" or "All Things Considered" music feature buried in the C or D segments, and likely not given any notice (because promos for Downton Abbey and football are higher on the food chain).

Was there an actual, full-length music program offered for some GSU students to produce? Please enlighten me with this information.

If those kids were producing real content (music shows, public affairs shows, talk shows), then I would hope they could continue to be on the big, terrestrial signal. The next generation of broadcasters needs a place to learn and hone their craft. But if they won't use that signal to their advantage, then I can't blame GPB for cutting in.

Who says they weren't "using that signal to their advantage"? I'd listened to WRAS a time or two while parking--I mean driving through Atlanta. Even though, at 50, I'm way past the target age and much of what they played wasn't my personal cup of tea, I did pick up on passion and interest in what they were playing. Was it polished? Not really, but it was nicely executed. You can't expect WSB-quality from a college station. But "Album 88" sounded miles ahead of a couple of stations at universities doing the same thing (WEGL in Auburn, Ala. comes to mind). WEGL sounded like they had someone's iPod patched into the board, running on shuffle - pauses and all. I wasn't hearing that on WRAS, nor anything that suggested they were 'wasting' a frequency.

It's been a longtime goal for GPB to break into the Atlanta market that, like it or not, has been WABE's turf (read the history; they predated by decades GPB's entry into radio). No, WRAS was not a hostile takeover; Album 88's staff and format were, and are, merely 'collateral damage' in the new GPB's real, unspoken goal: to shoot out the knees of WABE and assume the role the present regime believes it's entitled to - sole pubcaster for Georgia. 10 years ago, GPB still wanted Atlanta ... the difference was, it was a more congenial environment under the previous leadership, Nancy Hall.

The only way for GPB get a full-power stick was via one of the two university stations. WREK rebuffed GPB's earlier overtures by Ryan, and until recently so did WRAS. All it took was a new person in the GSU president's office, and with it a now-receptive audience for such a "partnership." That's all it needs in a university. I experienced that firsthand (university politics) in a much earlier job in Alabama. I also experienced what WABE must feel like, when WUAL/Tuscaloosa put in a full-power repeater, supposedly to serve Selma and west Ala., but curiously the tower was instead practically on the outskirts of Montgomery, duplicating our main station's city-grade signal by 80%, and proceeding to duplicate ME and ATC, and then some.

A lot of this would have been prevented if NPR only gave exclusivity rights for one station per market for their newsmagazines. But that's another topic.

WABE is the rightful home for NPR in Atlanta, no matter the political gamesmanship of Nathan Deal and buddy Teya. WABE came first. I would feel this way even if I was still in Savannah -- the only difference is, I'd have to keep my mouth shut. Now I don't have to. :)

--Russell

Last edited:
What was the name of that "state-wide music program" which GPB offered to run on their statewide network?

I'm not down there, and the WRAS flap ignited after I'd left the state. But from what I gleam, the opportunities given GSU students have been little more than a few intern slots (read: "cream and sugar?"), and the occasional "Morning Edition" or "All Things Considered" music feature buried in the C or D segments, and likely not given any notice (because promos for Downton Abbey and football are higher on the food chain).

Was there an actual, full-length music program offered for some GSU students to produce? Please enlighten me with this information.

As reported by Rodney Ho in the AJC, "GPB promised a 30-minute weekly music-themed show for WRAS students on the statewide network (including WRAS during the day) but WRAS students have said they didn’t trust GPB so there has been no show."

The ball's in their court. Produce it.

Seems to me that since these kids lost half of their airtime, they'd make some moves to keep from losing the rest. Just playing obscure records doesn't cut it, since most people have their music in their phones. They could try and play something recognizable once in a while, or even produce some talk programming that is GSU-specific. More of the same will bring student-run programming to an end entirely.

Sadly, as terrestrial radio becomes more and more passe, there will be less and less people to pick up the baton and run with it. Podcasts don't require transmitters and signals...just a little bandwith and a microphone and you're off and running.

That's where all this is going.

The only way for GPB get a full-power stick was via one of the two university stations. WREK rebuffed GPB's earlier overtures by Ryan, and until recently so did WRAS.

I thought WREK was off-limits for GPB because of the trust fund money that went to Tech's student body when the Board of Regents sold WGST to Meredith. The money that the BoR got for WGST had to be used for another radio station exclusively for the use of Tech students. That said, plus all the complaints about college students not being into radio, I'm surprised the BoR hasn't tried to make Tech share WREK with Georgia State.

I think the Board of Regents "owns" all university assets, including Georgia Tech's station. I have no idea if there is a trust of some sort set up to insure the survival of student run radio at Tech but I would think the BOR could easily "redirect" WREK, if necessary.
We should note that Mark Becker, president of GSU, got a really big promotion about the same time as the WRAS swap happened. His salary was doubled to over $1M yearly and he now controls Georgia
Perimeter College. Was there a quid pro quo involved? Looks suspicious but who's going to bust the governor for pickle barrel politics ??
Mr. Radio makes some good points in his post above. He/she is spot on regarding the future of terrestrial and even college kids should be able to see where this is going. That's why I can't understand why the students have not heavily promoted their stream and HD signal.
I agree with your criticism of the students and their lack of effort but it is insane to point to GPB as a "good" use of the frequency. Celeste Headly and Bill Niget have been a huge disappointments, sometimes amateurish, always elitist and condescending; the rest of GPB's programming is 100% duplication of WABE. I can't see where they have added ANYTHING to the cultural well-being of Atlanta.
WE see the 6+ numbers. Maybe someone with access to the book can tell us how well GPB does with other demos.

WRAS's transmitter move will give them a much more competitive signal. Currently from their Panthersville location, they have the same power (100KW) as WABE but at half the height. When they move, they will have half the wattage of WABE but at about the same height, and from a more centralized location.

WABE will still have bigger coverage, but WRAS's new antenna should level the playing field in the areas that matter.

I too don't understand why NPR doesn't limit its programming to one station per market. As was stated above, a lot of hours are simply duplication between WRAS and WABE. In middays, IMHO WABE is far superior to WRAS.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom