What is the oldest song your classic country station will play?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the oldest song your classic country station will play?

What is the oldest song your classic country station will play?

WBRF Galax VA is an FM with a monster signal and plenty of fans in small towns and even online, and lots of commercials for businesses in the larger towns that tend to have less than 10,000 people. It does reach some people in several of the larger markets. Most of the songs are from the 70s and 80s, with some 60s and 90s and even occasionally 50s and the new millennium.

And yet the DJ played a request from 1945, "Roly Poly" by Bob Wills, Tommy Duncan (I think that's the name) and the Texas Playboys. And he said, "That's my kind of music."

Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post
    WBRF Galax VA is an FM with a monster signal and plenty of fans in small towns and even online, and lots of commercials for businesses in the larger towns that tend to have less than 10,000 people. It does reach some people in several of the larger markets. Most of the songs are from the 70s and 80s, with some 60s and 90s and even occasionally 50s and the new millennium.

And yet the DJ played a request from 1945, "Roly Poly" by Bob Wills, Tommy Duncan (I think that's the name) and the Texas Playboys. And he said, "That's my kind of music."
    Sounds like a station I'd enjoy, too. But obviously, this is a small-town, community-focused station with no agency advertising and no pressure from in-market competition to do anything differently. Still, "Roly Poly" -- or any Bob Wills -- outside of a weekend specialty show might be a bridge too far for the 40-year-old Garth Brooks/Alan Jackson/Reba McEntire fan to cross, though. Heck, that one is from 10 years before I was born!

To try to answer your question, Hartford doesn't have a classic country station in the clear, but WWYZ Waterbury does stream iHeart's classic country format on its HD2. Oldest songs I hear on it are iconic recordings like "Okie From Muskogee," "Rose Garden," "Ring of Fire," "The Race Is On," "Stand By Your Man," etc. But most of the playlist is '80s/'90s.
    Last edited by CTListener; 12-02-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Country is a rather strange format depending what part of the country you are in. In Texas there are heritage songs and artists that are known and, likely for lack of a better term, respected. Something like Roly Poly or maybe Hank Sr., and many others are the type that many newer artists list as influences and might even toss in at a concert. Naturally, we're not talking Taylor Swift doing Roly Poly.

Galax is almost dead center for the birthplace of country, where old time and bluegrass merged. Bluegrass is quite popular and you can bet many know the Carter Family songs and the legendary bluegrass artists even if they listen to current country or other music genres. It is almost a cultural thing. As long as it is done sparingly, once an airshift at most, it will likely be welcomed. The rural areas still tend to be rather old school. Many such stations are all gospel music on Sundays in these small towns and people love their town's station.

Also, most of these stations might get a buy for a franchisee in the area but the money almost entirely comes from the locally owned business and spot rates tend to be a bit lower than in many regions of the country. In the region, the AM daytimer with local content can easily beat out the satellite country format on the regional FM as far as listeners are concerned. At least that is my impression from traveling and spending time in places like Tennessee.

As per the topic, it appears most stations generally don't go much further back than 1980 and some stations are going forward to about 2005 these days. Most play the mega hits from as far back as the 1960s but they are few and some are listed in an earlier post..

Quote Originally Posted by b-turner View Post
    Galax is almost dead center for the birthplace of country, where old time and bluegrass merged. Bluegrass is quite popular and you can bet many know the Carter Family songs and the legendary bluegrass artists even if they listen to current country or other music genres.
    They do all-bluegrass between 6 and 7 PM, and some nights more than that.

The classic country station I help program for my community, Bemidji, Minnesota is KPMI AM 1300 and we have a library where we can draw from Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family all the way to the 1980s or so. For the 1990s hot country sounding artists on forward, we have 98.3 FM, which used to be a "Real Country" affiliate, but we decided to split the country formats. We have a religious block Sunday mornings starting with the Gaither Homecoming Radio, then on to remastered Old Fashioned Revival Hour OTR shows and then I play the country gospel classics with some CCM classics on occasion for 2 hours. We also syndicate Home Country and Pure American Country Radio (both the full show and the minute versions), we download Riders Radio Theater shows from the podcast and rebroadcast those shows and have them anchor the first 2 music sets and feature other cowboy music during that time shift as well, syndicate Rick Jackson's Country Classics from United Stations, and also Into The Blue (a syndicated Bluegrass show). www.kpmiam.com
    Last edited by BradOlsonBemidji; 03-27-2017 at 10:21 PM.

I would guess that the oldest song in the rotation for any station that plays it is Jimmy Dean's "Big John". 1961.

After that, any station that still plays Patsy Cline. I recently heard Patsy (Sweet Dreams of You) on a "Real Country" affiliated station's stream.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

My area has three classic playing stations that I am aware of and they all play Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings etc.

WJFC in Jefferson City, TN
    WMTN in Morristown, TN
    WPFT in Sevierville, TN

God bless you always!!!

Holly
    Check out my most favorite singer James Otto when you can! (smiles)

WVAL AM800 Sauk Rapids/St Cloud, MN is a classic country station. The other day heading into work I heard "Take An Old Cold Tater (And Wait)" by Little Jimmy Dickens. That was from 1949

Quote Originally Posted by James Otto Sweet Heart View Post
    WJFC in Jefferson City, TN
    WMTN in Morristown, TN
    WPFT in Sevierville, TN
    Holly
    Hi, Holly, are you able to pick up WNTT of Tazewell, TN, from where you live? That is the area where my dad is from, and I would consider them to be his "hometown" station. I believe that they are mostly satellite-fed now, but I would be curious as to what they are playing these days.

My parents now live about a mile from me here in the midstate, and my dad keeps the garage radio set on WSM. I believe they keep their car radio on WSM as well. (The AM station, of course!)

^^^ Sadly I can not get WNTT.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
    Check out my most favorite singer James Otto when you can! (smiles)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast