• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CKWW_Charlie O'Brien

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...ine-chris-rock-denies-adopting-girl/76342330/

Charlie O'Brien, the long time and best known DJ on CKWW is retiring. What this portends for a future format on CKWW is anyone's guess, but it may mean the end of Oldies.

CKWW has had some decent success selling the station at a local level here, but I know at least one of their reliable advertisers, the Medicap Pharmacy in Warren has closed. Would they really try to put TSN on that station with the Detroit area dial already oversaturated with sports talkers? Maybe they'll just keep Oldies off the bird.

(Note: Posted here because CKWW serves the Detroit market despite being in Windsor, Canada)

Bell had cut expenses to the bone down at 580. They got lucky that CKWW has the low dial position and has a pattern that sends its 500 watts right into Detroit. Charlie did a great job with the mornings, although I wish CKLW had just done the newscasts instead of giving him one to play at the top and having him read headlines at the bottom. It appeared to me the station gets a decent enough blip in the ratings on both sides of the river to justify having one jock. It's weird to hear the music and elements of the Big 8 because it shows how big a role the talent played in the overall sound of the station. CKOC/Hamilton abandoned oldies for sports last year. If you're a fan of CanCon-compliant oldies, your choices are going to get pretty thin if Bell pulls the plug on CKWW.

Hopefully they'll let it roll for awhile longer. I'm thinking Charlie's retirement date wasn't entirely his idea because of the timing with all the other cuts. As far as I know he was the last link in that building to The Big 8's glory days.

Very sad to see him go. I listened to CKWW quite a bit the last few years. At least I got to enjoy this station while it was around (and I can only hope it will stay around).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom