• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Oldies FM

…so I’m driving around in North Ga. around the Gainesville/Cleveland area (where you can’t find an open FM channel because of all the stations from Atlanta AND South Carolina booming in), and my scanner stops on 92.3 where they are playing nothing but doo-wop and early oldies (before Beatles). I state the obvious (“Hmm… that’s different.”) wondering in what state the station was located.

Then a TOH announcement aired: “This is WFDG, Murrayville/Gainesville.” I state the obvious again (“Hmm… local.”)

Well, I can’t let a new station creep in without me knowing about it, so I finally got home and checked it out. It’s low-power with a whopping 7 watts. Radio-Locator has some info. Also, the FCC and a little blog page. The station is owned by “Big Band Fans” with a transmitter located on a hill inside a triangle drawn from Gainesville > Murrayville > Clermont > Gainesville.

Of course this station will not be heard in Atlanta because of its massive power and the 101 translators with which Atlanta has crammed itself – including one on 92.3, but it’s out there for all who want to get “out there” past Gainesville and check it out.

Anyone have any more info? Tnx.

Last edited:
Noticed this Haloween night as I was driving home. Lots of doo-wop and early oldies, but they also have quite a variety, playing "All I Have to Do is Dream," Bad Company, Pablo Cruise, and EVERYthing in between.

Oldies variety, much like WPGY(93.7 FM and AM 1580) out of Ellijay(and super low-wattage, to boot).

7 watts at 348 feet can travel far with no co channel issues. We had a transmitter failure about 6 months ago, and we ran a 30 watt exciter at 300 feet (while repairs were being made) and we got really good coverage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom