• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Geraldo's run at WABC may be ending

wadio

Star Participant
According to his Facebook page:

I’ve just been informed by Mary Berner the new Cumulus Media CEO & by Chad Lopez the New York VP/Market Manager that they do not intend to honor the handshake deal I made with the ousted company chief John Dickey, an agreement to extend my current contract for a year. [more]

He says this MAY be goodbye. Of course there's always the possibility of posturing around a contract renewal (think Howard Stern) but these words are pretty strong.

The big question is. How are the ratings? Sounds a program shuffle on the way.

Looks to me like a salary dump - not an unusual thing when a new CEO comes into a company bleeding money. Like others have said this is likely the beginning of major programming changes.

As for the "handshake deal" - it's surprising Geraldo didn't know that kind of deal is only as good as whoever shook his hand.

Geraldo lasted longer than most people thought he would. I think getting rid of John Batchelor would be a boost for WABC. I can't listen to his show.

John Batchelor sounds like he belongs on NPR. He is quite intelligent, but his show induces sleep. At the other extreme is his lead in, the always angry and yelling Mark Levin. I find both shows tough to listen to. Geraldo is in Europe and will not be on tomorrow or probably all week. Don't know the status of his employment. Guess we'll find out soon.

I'm hearing that others at Cumulus have been offered similar contracts at lower rates, based on ratings and a weak advertising climate. Geraldo isn't being singled out or targeted. When you're at a talk station, the hosts are about the only thing a station has to attract listeners. It's not about the music or the programming. It's the hosts. If those hosts aren't pulling their weight, they're responsible. I'm surprised he was offered a new deal at all.

This move, if looked at realistically, actually made sense. Both 770 and 710 are no longer really about local ratings. They are about market #1 clearances for syndicated gasbags and spots. Good ratings in desirable demo's are unattainable now.

Since they no longer intended to syndicate Geraldo -why keep him?

Curtis and Kuby are local only for now, but they are likely successors to Don Imus when he retires or croaks. If management get's a better "idea" -they'll be gone too.

Don't be surprised of paid-programming comes to occupy a portion of the weekday in another 2-3 years.

LCG

Sid Rosenberg has been hired to host the midday show on WABC with Bernard McGuirk. The first show is Wednesday.

Interesting that they chose to use a local show rather than syndication. And a familiar name rather than someone new.

The Dentist says he'd rather have had Alan Colmes. I agree with his reasoning, but I think WABC is trying to get away from politics.

Colmes already has a radio gig with Fox where job stability seems much better than at Cumulus. I doubt he'd want to make that change.

Alan has had moderate success in New York. He was on WMCA,WABC as the first of many morning hosts after Brian Wilson left and he was at WNBC in their last few years. Alan's was the last voice heard as WNBC switched to WFAN in October 1988. He did the last show before they signed off.

I think Alan Colmes' lack of success in NYC may have had more to do with bad luck than bad programming. I remember that last WNBC show ... a class act. I've always thought Colmes really likes radio ... and understands it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom