• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

November PPM Numbers!

KRWM in 5th place - as it is not a surprise, they will likely see double digits (and #1 slot) again for the Holiday PPM. KQMV yet again the CHR leader.
KLCK and KUBE continue to struggle in the 2's. Even though KLCK added older music to their playlist, there are few listeners.
Huge drop for KMPS...from a 5 to 3.9.

-crainbebo

Happy Holidays and a safe drive if your on the road this Holiday weekend! Something to look at if your board or not shopping. Or if you are shopping (support those advertisers), you can see how the numbers look on different tablet displays.
http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb039
This would be the first set of number s since the Nielsen PPM firmware upgrade.

Only the Baltimore and DC numbers show mixed firmware upgrade results. The rest of the 48 markets upgraded about 2 days into the November book, which ran Oct 8 to Nov 4.

My goodness, what did KPLZ do right in this book? That's the highest 6+ number I've ever seen them with. KKWF still trending down, and what's happened to KUOW over the last year or two? When I started watching the ratings a couple years ago they were usually in the mid-4 share range, now it looks like they've been steadily dropping.

I wonder how much of a boost Hubbard gets from being able to add online listeners to their overall numbers (they can do this under Arbitron rules, as their online streams 100% duplicates their stations on-air content)

Still surprised one or more stations don't try Christmas music. As I recall KJR-FM did it once with some success. Easy way to get some new listeners that might stick around, for stations that want to grow. Always a treat to see how much importance is placed on 6+. Where it counts 25-54 the big winners remain KQMV and KIRO-FM with KPLZ and KZOK close behind in November. KQMV and KPLZ and KIRO with the women, KQMV, KISW and KZOK the men. I am not in this 18-34 age group, but why do KUBE and KBKS have such a tough time against KQMV? KUBE for years was the winner here.

Last edited:
Still surprised one or more stations don't try Christmas music. As I recall KJR-FM did it once with some success.

You know that Warm 106.9 has played Christmas music regularly in November and December, right?

Easy way to get some new listeners that might stick around, for stations that want to grow. Always a treat to see how much importance is placed on 6+. Where it counts 25-54 the big winners remain KQMV and KIRO-FM with KPLZ and KZOK close behind in November. KQMV and KPLZ and KIRO with the women, KQMV, KISW and KZOK the men. I am not in this 18-34 age group, but why do KUBE and KBKS have such a tough time against KQMV? KUBE for years was the winner here.

KUBE was friendly to the diary, crashed in PPM. Movin' has a strong morning show.

I meant one or more stations OTHER than KRWM! I do remember KJR-FM doing it and KCMS did as well at one point, though they are not all Christmas right now.
Makes total sense that KUBE was more diary friendly. Agree 100% about KQMV morning show right now. Just surprising KBKS and KUBE aren't doing more to challenge them.
Maybe HOT will get into the battle, the throwback formats seem to have a short life.

Good points as usual AQH.

Still surprised one or more stations don't try Christmas music. As I recall KJR-FM did it once with some success. Easy way to get some new listeners that might stick around, for stations that want to grow. Always a treat to see how much importance is placed on 6+. Where it counts 25-54 the big winners remain KQMV and KIRO-FM with KPLZ and KZOK close behind in November. KQMV and KPLZ and KIRO with the women, KQMV, KISW and KZOK the men. I am not in this 18-34 age group, but why do KUBE and KBKS have such a tough time against KQMV? KUBE for years was the winner here.

I can't speak for KUBE s I've never been a hardcore hip-hop fan, but KBKS started to go downhill about a year after they were sold to iHeart. Today, they're not a bad downtempo CHR, but that's not what they were like 5 years ago. It seems as if radio in general has gone this way, maybe someone like David Eduardo can explain why this has been happening. Go to aircheckdownloads.com and look up KRBV from 2004, WHTZ from January 20, 2003 or WIHT from September 11, 2002. Why is a night show like that so hard to come by on a CHR in 2015? Even KQMV, which is a much better station than KBKS doesn't have any dayparts like this.

I can't speak for KUBE s I've never been a hardcore hip-hop fan, but KBKS started to go downhill about a year after they were sold to iHeart.

In order to give an intelligent answer, you're going to have to give more than what is essentially another "Clear Channel/iHeart Media" sucks assessment. People don't give a rat's ass who owns the radio station, they care about hearing what they like.

Today, they're not a bad downtempo CHR, but that's not what they were like 5 years ago. It seems as if radio in general has gone this way, maybe someone like David Eduardo can explain why this has been happening. Go to aircheckdownloads.com and look up KRBV from 2004, WHTZ from January 20, 2003 or WIHT from September 11, 2002. Why is a night show like that so hard to come by on a CHR in 2015? Even KQMV, which is a much better station than KBKS doesn't have any dayparts like this.

Doing what a CHR station did over a decade ago is the worst suggestion for what a CHR station should do entering 2016. All this does is show your personal preference, and zero guidance on specifics on what a station should do today. CHR stations are all about fresh, new and different.

In order to give an intelligent answer, you're going to have to give more than what is essentially another "Clear Channel/iHeart Media" sucks assessment. People don't give a rat's ass who owns the radio station, they care about hearing what they like.
That is correct, and I do think iHeart runs some good stations, including KJR-FM in this market, and a number of good stations in Portland, but they ruined a once great station and seem to be just fine with its now mediocre performance.
Doing what a CHR station did over a decade ago is the worst suggestion for what a CHR station should do entering 2016. All this does is show your personal preference, and zero guidance on specifics on what a station should do today. CHR stations are all about fresh, new and different.
So you're ok with more bland, generic radio? Don't you remember some stunt a radio station did, or remember how live and local a radio station sounded many years ago? Why wouldn't that work today?

I can't speak for KUBE s I've never been a hardcore hip-hop fan, but KBKS started to go downhill about a year after they were sold to iHeart. Today, they're not a bad downtempo CHR, but that's not what they were like 5 years ago. It seems as if radio in general has gone this way, maybe someone like David Eduardo can explain why this has been happening. Go to aircheckdownloads.com and look up KRBV from 2004, WHTZ from January 20, 2003 or WIHT from September 11, 2002. Why is a night show like that so hard to come by on a CHR in 2015? Even KQMV, which is a much better station than KBKS doesn't have any dayparts like this.
That's the first time I've ever heard of a downtempo CHR! Wouldn't just being downtempo make it something else?

I can see why you would think that, but what else do you call Kiss these days?

Just from the handful of songs on their playlist the recurrent count would seem to suggest a Hot AC but they're clearly intended to be a Mainstream CHR. I wouldn't describe it as ""downtempo". Maybe this is exactly what 18-44 year-old women in Seattle want to hear.

Well, I wouldn't say that it's what 18-44 women want to hear since KQMV creams them. As far as a business strategy to keep from taking away from KUBE, in theory this makes sense, but it seems to be backfiring terribly, especially since Hot came on the scene.

Well, I wouldn't say that it's what 18-44 women want to hear since KQMV creams them. As far as a business strategy to keep from taking away from KUBE, in theory this makes sense, but it seems to be backfiring terribly, especially since Hot came on the scene.

Now this brings up another interesting point: If a CHR plays more recurrents than currents, is it really a CHR? You would think that that alone would move it into Hot AC territory, at least as far as achieving the target is concerned. On the other hand, it's probably too responsive to "edgy" material to qualify as a Hot AC. Usually, stations that fall between the cracks like that, end up not pleasing anyone. I hope it works for them.

That is correct, and I do think iHeart runs some good stations, including KJR-FM in this market, and a number of good stations in Portland, but they ruined a once great station and seem to be just fine with its now mediocre performance.

Again, the broad strokes and generalities, define "mediocre performance". Also, how do you know Kiss is not performing at the level local iHeart management has in mind?

So you're ok with more bland, generic radio? Don't you remember some stunt a radio station did, or remember how live and local a radio station sounded many years ago? Why wouldn't that work today?

Knock of the hyperbole. What I am "ok with" in radio is irrelevant and the same goes with what you think, it's what the listeners want. Do you know how fast people tune away from a radio station the second the music stops? Some listeners put any jock talk in the same classification as a commercial, and they tune out right away.

Fact of the matter is, the "morning zoo" concept of radio is long dead and gone. The only kind of stunt that really works nowadays are the prank calls Jubal does on Movin', and that's because we're in such a voyeuristic society.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom