• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKGC 1490 HD Panama City

Reading up online it appears WKGC's AM station on 1490 in Pamana City broadcast in AM-HD.

I've never heard an HD AM station. I thought AMs started shutting down HD almost a decade ago. Is it possible WKGC AM is indeed broadcasting in HD?

A couple of factors:
#1 Looks like it operated by a educational entity.
#2 Jazz format listed.
#3 Some engineer talked them into spending money into doing the conversion because with it they were told Jazz will sound better on AM. Wasted dollars on the three people that will tune in.
#4 Most AM's have turn off HD because of technical issues.

Don't non comm stations usually get HD via public radio grants? That may explain why it's so common with pubcasters.

It also looks like a straightforward setup, only one tower.

I personally would never advocate for any AM station making the upgrade to digital, but no one is likely listening anyway except online.

A couple of factors:
#3 Some engineer talked them into spending money into doing the conversion because with it they were told Jazz will sound better on AM. Wasted dollars on the three people that will tune in.

I do recall cceng posting about the management at WKGC wasting a whole lot of money on translator licenses and equipment then letting the licenses get cancelled/expire. He said the new transmitters and antennas were sold at a college surplus auction for less than $0.10 on the dollar.

Reading up online it appears WKGC's AM station on 1490 in Pamana City

Did WKGC apply to move to 1490? It has always been on 1480 and still shows as 1480 in the FCC databae. Just curious if there may be plans to move to 1490, possibly to obtain full-time night service, but not yet filed with the FCC.

Did WKGC apply to move to 1490?

Typo. It's still 1480.
I thought I might get close enough to see what HD AM sounded like yesterday but I was way to far away to catch WKGC. I couldn't even get a HD lock on WKGC-FM. Oh well.

A somewhat related topic, why hasn't FSU added HD to any of their 5 full power FM's?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom