• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

May be no way, but I thought I'd ask

On the Burk ARC-Plus systems, the front panel display is a vacuum florescent display, and all of these have started to become unreadable. Burk says they don't have replacements for them, and that we should upgrade to their arc-touch systems (of course we should ). Has anyone else had this issue and if so, were you able to resolve it? I still have the ability to log in through the GUI, but because I was felt up for a possible upsell, I want to attempt to repair this one. These units are less than 5 years old...displays shouldn't be failing yet. Especially since they are timed out at 30 minutes.

Hi Zach, Is it because the backlight on the display is going bad, or are the actual liquid crystals going dim or looking faded? Not with Burk remote controls, but I've had luck with other displays, like on my Alinco DR610 ham radio that the florescent back light went out, I took some miniature LED's and mounted them above and below the display edge which served as a replacement backlight. Still working fine five years later.

Good luck!

I have one that is looking a bit worse for ware too, looks like burn. If you have any luck on replacement please post your findings.

I don't have an ARC Plus, but I would expect that Burk used a display module that talks some kind of standard. possibly RS-232 or an 8-bit parallel standard.

If you can find a part number and/or spec sheet for the module, it should be fairly easy to find a compatible replacement - but it might be cheaper to take Burk up on their new front panel upgrade, these modules tend to be fairly pricey, and there's no guarantee the pinout of the module would be compatible with the one Burk used.

Last edited:
I don't have an ARC Plus, but I would expect that Burk used a display module that talks some kind of standard. possibly RS-232 or an 8-bit parallel standard.

If you can find a part number and/or spec sheet for the module, it should be fairly easy to find a compatible replacement - but it might be cheaper to take Burk up on their new front panel upgrade, these modules tend to be fairly pricey, and there's no guarantee the pinout of the module would be compatible with the one Burk used.

I'm afraid it's not just a front panel upgrade. From what I was told, they want me to replace the arc-plus with the arc-touch, and that's just something that ain't happening.

What I have learned so far is that rather than turn them totally dark, to "dim" the display and allow it to stay on, seems to bring new life to them. They are readable now, and when i touch the knob on the front panel, they brighten up and are still readable. 15 minutes later, they dim. Seems to be working so far.

Last edited:
I talked to them about mine the other day and a replacement screen is only about $285 and can be done in the field.

I talked to them about mine the other day and a replacement screen is only about $285 and can be done in the field.

Really? I had a heated discussion with Miguel at Burk regarding this, and he stood his ground about not being able to get replacements for this and that we would have to get the latest ARC-Touch. They don't support those screens anymore, and the manufacturer quit making them. Curious...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom