• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any changes?

M

mrtejano

Is this the season when companies think about changing formats? If so what any station consider changing? Would it be a good idea to change 93.3 to 104.9 or to 106.5 to steal the little bit of listeners to the 104.5 audience? How good is Univision doing with Mas Variedad 106.5?

The only place Que Buena needs to move is to the history books. Why, oh why, would you ditch a solid format such as Mas Variedád for a Regional Mexican station like Que Buena, when you've got the superior 102-9 already here in Houston, mrtejano? I don't understand the logic.

To answer your question though, I certainly see changes coming. 91-7 won't be Classical music this time next year, 92-1 will not be "Boom"in', KVST will be unlistenable anywhere in Houston after it moves in 2016, La Mejor will be owned by iHeart and won't be Mejor anymore, and (I'm going out on a limb here) The Eagle will be only half the bird it used to be. That's right, I'm predicting the end of the Eagle simulcast duo. 107-5 will flip to something else.

Guess you're not the only illogical one in here, Señor, lol.

The only place Que Buena needs to move is to the history books. Why, oh why, would you ditch a solid format such as Mas Variedád for a Regional Mexican station like Que Buena, when you've got the superior 102-9 already here in Houston, mrtejano? I don't understand the logic.

Well I'm saying cause Que Buena 93.3 plays more Banda and corridos than 102.9. Heck 102.9 is full of talk shows basically all day except weekends. And why would they ditch La MEJOR? I would even like to see Piolin back in FM.

Well I'm saying cause Que Buena 93.3 plays more Banda and corridos than 102.9. Heck 102.9 is full of talk shows basically all day except weekends. And why would they ditch La MEJOR? I would even like to see Piolin back in FM.

Eh, 102-9 has stepped up the music recently. Yeah, it's still a bit talk heavy, but it's more of an equal split between the two now, not so much talk based as it was. Maybe it's just me, and I don't listen to 102-9 enough to hear all of the talk you do. My gripe with 93-3 is the audio, which is always subpar; the selection of music, which is just not up to the level of 106-5 or 102-9, and the lack of real commitment to the facility as a whole. Don't know if you've noticed, but 93-3 is basically the red headed stepchild of Univision. There really isn't any effort put forth on the facility, in my estimation. Why not just program it for Beaumont, if it's of no use to Univision Houston?

Edit to add: Why ditch La Mejor? Dinero, mi amigo. Cold, hard cash. Hector Guevara will pull the plug on La Mejor the minute someone pays the asking price for K283CH. Always remember, in this world everything has a price...

Last edited:
Edit to add: Why ditch La Mejor? Dinero, mi amigo. Cold, hard cash. Hector Guevara will pull the plug on La Mejor the minute someone pays the asking price for K283CH. Always remember, in this world everything has a price...

Yes I understand that part, he would sale it in a heart beat. What I'm asking is why would Iheart pull the plug on Regional Mexican format?

Yes I understand that part, he would sale it in a heart beat. What I'm asking is why would Iheart pull the plug on Regional Mexican format?

In my estimation, iHeart fully understands that the limitations of K283CH's facility can not compete with the larger 102-9 C0 facility. It just can't be done. It's a nice set up for a temporary solution to getting the 104-5 facility on the air and established in Houston, but long term it doesn't stand a chance. This, of course, is based on if iHeart were to even make a play for 104-5. Someone is going to buy it, K231CN, K291CE, and that little 105-3 translator down there on the coastline, who just started the hoppin' itself. Might as well be iHeart, but it'll certainly be one of the big guys doing the acquiring of each one. No doubt in my mind.

Is this the season when companies think about changing formats? If so what any station consider changing? Would it be a good idea to change 93.3 to 104.9 or to 106.5 to steal the little bit of listeners to the 104.5 audience? How good is Univision doing with Mas Variedad 106.5?

KOVE is the #2 25-54 Spanish language station in the market. It's a major billing station, having as much revenue as KLOL last year.

KAMA is doing better than it ever has, and rounds out the three main formats for Univision.

A translator is not going to make anyone give up major revenues on existing formats, whether that is CBS, Univision or Liberman.

KAMA is doing better than it ever has, and rounds out the three main formats for Univision.

You see? Now that's coming from David Eduardo himself. Proof positive that 93-3 is exactly what I termed it, the red headed step child of Univision. Add not a "main format" to my list of complaints against KQBU. Sorry I had to use your words against you, David. I've got a ton of respect for your unmatched knowledge and overall longevity in the medium. I just wish the company would put more of an effort into 93-3 than it currently appears is being put into it. Ever since Party moved to 93-3, it has sounded as if it were simply cast aside by Univision. I remember a day when Que Buena was popular enough to require a booster here in Houston to solidify its reach into the market. Currently, with the ever existing audio problems and the mono signal coming from KQBU all this time, it makes one wonder if Univision cares if it has listeners here or not. I couldn't imagine why that would be the case at all.

You see? Now that's coming from David Eduardo himself. Proof positive that 93-3 is exactly what I termed it, the red headed step child of Univision. Add not a "main format" to my list of complaints against KQBU. Sorry I had to use your words against you, David. I've got a ton of respect for your unmatched knowledge and overall longevity in the medium. I just wish the company would put more of an effort into 93-3 than it currently appears is being put into it. Ever since Party moved to 93-3, it has sounded as if it were simply cast aside by Univision. I remember a day when Que Buena was popular enough to require a booster here in Houston to solidify its reach into the market. Currently, with the ever existing audio problems and the mono signal coming from KQBU all this time, it makes one wonder if Univision cares if it has listeners here or not. I couldn't imagine why that would be the case at all.

No offense taken. KQBU is a restricted signal, and is a music alternative for those who (like tejano here on the board) think KLTN has too much talk. But because its a rimshot, and often subject to thermals and inversion and ducting it can't be a major part of the cluster strategy. But that does not mean it doesn't play a part: it is a reinforcement for KLTN's position of dominance.

I am rather surprised at the number of comments on this board about the eastern rimshots and why they don't simply focus on Beaumont. Beaumont is a $11 million dollar a year radio market, with the highest biller doing $2.4 million. Per the published industry sources, KQBU is estimated at $6 million in revenues being a less than complete Houston signal.

All the same I'm sure you guys at Uni could do to get an engineer out to 93-3 to tweak and improve the audio. I remember the bad quality too.

Why don't they simulcast 104.9 on 93.3 like before? Is it because that format wouldn't fit in with the market? I think 93.3 should just be a simulated station of another one that doesn't reach as far.

All the same I'm sure you guys at Uni could do to get an engineer out to 93-3 to tweak and improve the audio. I remember the bad quality too.

I've noticed the recent poor audio quality on KQBU as well. Same dull sound that plagued KUHA for many weeks until they fixed it. The other eastern rimshots sound fine.

Why don't they simulcast 104.9 on 93.3 like before?

Keep in mind that the 104.9 transmitter was around 25 miles west of its current location in the old 93.3 simulcast days, so it then made sense. With the current 104.9 transmitter near downtown there is too much overlap, so a simulcast would be a waste.

91-7 won't be Classical music this time next year,

Probably not, but it looks like it will be a long process selling the 91.7 frequency. Wouldn't surprise me if Classical is still running on KUHA in Summer 2016.

92-1 will not be "Boom"in'

I think the Classic Hip-Hop will still be around. What would they replace it with? The numbers have fallen (it may turn out to be a fad like Jammin' Oldies) but it complements the other Radio One formats here, and may be hitting its target demos. Now, ask me about five years from now, and I would tend to agree Boom might be long gone.

KVST will be unlistenable anywhere in Houston after it moves in 2016

What is the latest on the KVST transmitter move? Haven't heard anything about that for a while. KHGV will be happy about that.

The Eagle will be only half the bird it used to be. That's right, I'm predicting the end of the Eagle simulcast duo. 107-5 will flip to something else.

A few years down the road, yes, but not now; The Eagle is doing too well. However I could see 97.1 becoming the eventual simulcast partner for 107.5 with 106.9 becoming something else. One of my wild thoughts is Cox buying 92.1, turning it into a simulcast, and shuffling their other formats.

The Eagle and Country Legends will both eventually run into the problem of aging audiences, and changes will be made.

Last edited:
Probably not, but it looks like it will be a long process selling the 91.7 frequency. Wouldn't surprise me if Classical is still running on KUHA in Summer 2016.

I think the Classic Hip-Hop will still be around. What would they replace it with? The numbers have fallen (it may turn out to be a fad like Jammin' Oldies) but it complements the other Radio One formats here, and may be hitting its target demos. Now, ask me about five years from now, and I would tend to agree Boom might be long gone.

What is the latest on the KVST transmitter move? Haven't heard anything about that for a while. KHGV will be happy about that.

A few years down the road, yes, but not now; The Eagle is doing too well. However I could see 97.1 becoming the eventual simulcast partner for 107.5 with 106.9 becoming something else. One of my wild thoughts is Cox buying 92.1, turning it into a simulcast, and shuffling their other formats.

The Eagle and Country Legends will both eventually run into the problem of aging audiences, and changes will be made.

91-7's sale may indeed drag out that long, but I'll still take the under. I'm going to call it an April close.

Boom's a goner. Have you heard it recently? It's grasping for straws left and right. Debbi Deb? MADONNA??? I don't think so....

I also don't see 97-1 & 107-5 reuniting. If that were an option again, we'd currently be hearing classic rock on 97-1 right now and likely 106-9 would still be "in the Zone". Cox buying 92-1, huh? Well, so you're the one that put that on KROI's wiki several months ago, lol.

No offense taken. KQBU is a restricted signal, and is a music alternative for those who (like tejano here on the board) think KLTN has too much talk. But because its a rimshot, and often subject to thermals and inversion and ducting it can't be a major part of the cluster strategy. But that does not mean it doesn't play a part: it is a reinforcement for KLTN's position of dominance.

I am rather surprised at the number of comments on this board about the eastern rimshots and why they don't simply focus on Beaumont. Beaumont is a $11 million dollar a year radio market, with the highest biller doing $2.4 million. Per the published industry sources, KQBU is estimated at $6 million in revenues being a less than complete Houston signal.

Using it as a flanker to KLTN isn't the worst use of it, I'll certainly agree with that strategy. I'll have to echo my fellow participants here though, I'd rather see 93-3 do so with an audio quality on par with its sisters. The few static dropouts and lack of stereo aren't the issue, that it sounds like there's a styrofoam cup between my ear and the speaker as I tune in 93-3 is. Could you do us a solid favor and send word to Houston that there's an apparent problem some of your listeners are hearing in the audio output? Someone has been adjusting settings in the last 6 months or so, as the stereo light will suddenly pop on for a couple of days. Other instance is the actual volume output that has recently been lowered. It's much more noticeable parked next to The Beat, which I swear has bumped up the volume levels of 93-7 from its days as The Arrow.

Using it as a flanker to KLTN isn't the worst use of it, I'll certainly agree with that strategy. I'll have to echo my fellow participants here though, I'd rather see 93-3 do so with an audio quality on par with its sisters. The few static dropouts and lack of stereo aren't the issue, that it sounds like there's a styrofoam cup between my ear and the speaker as I tune in 93-3 is. Could you do us a solid favor and send word to Houston that there's an apparent problem some of your listeners are hearing in the audio output? Someone has been adjusting settings in the last 6 months or so, as the stereo light will suddenly pop on for a couple of days. Other instance is the actual volume output that has recently been lowered. It's much more noticeable parked next to The Beat, which I swear has bumped up the volume levels of 93-7 from its days as The Arrow.

That's the same way LA MEJOR sounds. The music sounds good but the voice sounds horrible when the DJs talk .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom