• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Most conservative or ridiculous radio edits for music in recent years?

On KZPT in Kansas City, several of Bruno Mars' songs were censored (''The Lazy Song" and ''locked out of heaven'') to exclude the word "sex." Mix 100 in Denver for Taylor Swift's song edited the word 'tight' out, of 'tight little skirt.' On KSYN the word 'honky' was edited out of 'Thrift Shop,' even though 'piss' was included. Any other examples, preferably even more extreme?:confused:

On KZPT in Kansas City, several of Bruno Mars' songs were censored (''The Lazy Song" and ''locked out of heaven'') to exclude the word "sex." Mix 100 in Denver for Taylor Swift's song edited the word 'tight' out, of 'tight little skirt.' On KSYN the word 'honky' was edited out of 'Thrift Shop,' even though 'piss' was included. Any other examples, preferably even more extreme?:confused:

Don't recall the song, but it was a rap song sent out on CD to Urban stations during the mid-2000's. The "Radio Edit" edited out the N-word but kept the S-word in.

WHCN-FM 105.9 of Hartford, a.k.a. The River 105.9 (Variety Hits), edits "Money For Nothing" from Dire Straits. WDRC-FM 102.9 of Hartford, a.k.a. 102.9 The Whale (Classic Rock) does not. I'm referring to the extra verse when they sing "That little f----t has his own jet airplane...". The super generic classic hits station which airs on WHCN-FM 105.9 HD2 edits many songs and chops the ends off of others. The edits lyric-wise are the same that's heard on The River 105.9. Clearly, that's I-Heart Radio doing it then. Another example? Lynyrd Skynyrd's use of "God Damn!" in "Sweet Home Alabama". WHCN edits that, WDRC does not.

I remember KPLZ Seattle editing the heck out of "Rockstar" Nickelback. "Drugs", "drug dealer", "a-hole" and "a$$" were all edited out. This was a Hot AC station anyways...

I did hear there were some ACs in the Bible Belt (southern US) that edited out "pray to a God that I don't believe in" from The Script's "Break Even." Wonder if they still do that now.

-crainbebo

"Boom-Boom Pow" by the Black Eyed Peas. They edit out the word "satellite" where in the song mentions "satellite radio." It's not just on the radio either. When I DJ'd at a local night club we had a subscription to a music service that would send us CDs a couple times a month. The version they had on the CD we got at the club was where the word "satellite" was edited out. I think the only time I heard this song in tact on the radio was when it was played on a Spanish station during a mix-show. La Fiesta 98.5 out of Long Island.

Then there's this rockish song I can't think of the name where the lyrics go "They caller her a sinner and they call her a w.h.o.r.e." When I hear it on most stations they edited out that word. However on Radio 104.1 WMRQ in Hartford they play the song in tact. Then again WMRQ isn't a corporate owned station. It's owned by the independent Red Wolf Broadcasting. A company that only a dozen or so stations.

Then there's this rockish song I can't think of the name where the lyrics go "They caller her a sinner and they call her a w.h.o.r.e." When I hear it on most stations they edited out that word. However on Radio 104.1 WMRQ in Hartford they play the song in tact. Then again WMRQ isn't a corporate owned station. It's owned by the independent Red Wolf Broadcasting. A company that only a dozen or so stations.

"What It's Like" by Everlast.

I remember KPLZ Seattle editing the heck out of "Rockstar" Nickelback. "Drugs", "drug dealer", "a-hole" and "a$$" were all edited out. This was a Hot AC station anyways...

I did hear there were some ACs in the Bible Belt (southern US) that edited out "pray to a God that I don't believe in" from The Script's "Break Even." Wonder if they still do that now.

-crainbebo

I've never heard "Breakeven" without that line, but I don't doubt there are stations that edit it out.

Satellite edited out? That's the most ridiculous example I've ever heard. Are bigwigs running the FM stations trying to not lose ratings, because a song mentions "satellite radio" and they think everyone will switch to Sirius/XM thanks to that line?

-crainbebo

All About That Bass has an edit for Adult Contemporary that eliminates the line about more booty. I don't remember if they edited in another line from another part of the song or she sang a new line.

The copy I have of Rockstar from Nickelback is call the "Version 2 Edit."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom