• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WEEI hoping to have new deal with the Red Sox by Christmas

The endless commercials on WEEI to pay for that Sox deal helped killed them.
I want WBZ to stray Patriots-centric.

The Celtics deal cost them what ?

"The endless commercials on WEEI to pay for that Sox deal helped killed them.
I want WBZ to stray Patriots-centric."

I DX a lot of baseball and can tell you WEEI has no more commercials than the Cubs, Reds, Braves and others. They all use every minute MLB allocates between innings. As for that being what "killed them," someone might want to remind the bunch at 93.7 they are dead. The ratings I've seen have them squarely back in the game. A friend of mine who has been selling there for years tells me advertisers are back and they are on a roll. As for the Celtics, NBA on the radio is a losing proposition everywhere.

I don't have a horse in the race, but I do like a good fight. WEEI and Sports Hub are at each other's throats right now and it makes for better listening. Boston is a great sports town. Now it's a great sports RADIO town.

I haven't noticed any increase in ads during Sox games on radio, but this season the Eastern Bank whooshing/rumbling noise and full screen graphic after just about every other pitch on TV was driving me out of my mind. I actually stopped watching a couple of games because of it.

The problem was more that WEEI was losing big money on every game. I don't know what WEEI is billing annually these days but $17 million for 162 games is a tough nut to crack.

What we don't know is if CBS has talked to the Sox.

"The endless commercials on WEEI to pay for that Sox deal helped killed them.
I want WBZ to stray Patriots-centric."

I DX a lot of baseball and can tell you WEEI has no more commercials than the Cubs, Reds, Braves and others. They all use every minute MLB allocates between innings. As for that being what "killed them," someone might want to remind the bunch at 93.7 they are dead. The ratings I've seen have them squarely back in the game. A friend of mine who has been selling there for years tells me advertisers are back and they are on a roll. As for the Celtics, NBA on the radio is a losing proposition everywhere.

I don't have a horse in the race, but I do like a good fight. WEEI and Sports Hub are at each other's throats right now and it makes for better listening. Boston is a great sports town. Now it's a great sports RADIO town.

I'll bet you that WBZ News Radio 1030 will pick up the Sox and blast the 162 games across the nation. Not only on News Radio 1030, but over 100 radio stations as affiliates(in every state!).

I'll bet you that WBZ News Radio 1030 will pick up the Sox and blast the 162 games across the nation. Not only on News Radio 1030, but over 100 radio stations as affiliates(in every state!).

WBZ was happy to send the Bruins packing from 1030, and the Pats too, over to the FM side

They have a sports radio brand they are trying to protect, and there would be very few conflicts between other sports they carry, and on those rare occasions when there was the B's would get broadcast on WZLX, and iirc sometimes WODS would handle the overflow on nights where 2 teams had a conflict.

WBZ has no interest in "blasting" games across any area where they can not sell spots and recoup the cost of the broadcast rights.... and so called "clear channel" AM's are a shadow of themselves with the IBOC hash, interference from electronic devices, and former daytimers that have 3 watt authorizations that block out large metro areas. Add to that Sat radio's MLB channels and streaming options and there is no need for WBZ AM's alleged wide coverage area

I doubt the Wyoming Blasting and Zoning company are hitting 30+ states on a regular basis where the signal can be picked out clearly for long periods of time.

Entercom may not be able to afford the rights this cycle, they took a huge beating money wise on this past contract, cutting staff across the cluster because of it, unless there is an "option" to extend we could see a bidding war.

CBS is in a much better position to make a big money offer, IF they determine the product is worth buying. It isn't like the Sox have been consistent as of late.

Entercom's position in the market isn't what it used to be, those two under performing AM's are not helping the bottom line, and that is going to factor in the amount that they have available to make an offer.

Last edited:
Actually if you are following the business side of this CBS is not in a better position to afford the rights. In fact, they are starting to gag on their own big talent contracts, sports rights fees and the overhead of WBZ-AM. AMP is on life support. WBMX woefully underperforms its ratings in revenue. And WZLX is under siege from a rejuvenated WAAF and an uncontested (thanks to CBS dropping classic hits) WROR. CBS just cut 11 full-time employees this past summer, most in sales. Companies don't fire salespeople unless they are under tremendous financial pressure; it's totally contrarian. Sports Hub just cut the hours for part-timers. And I agree with MRBIboredop that nobody gives a flip about WBZ-AM's nighttime coverage. That's an engineer's wet dream from a bygone era.

If you're a betting man, Entercom will get the Red Sox back. They are in the best position to make a solid offer and already have an existing relationship with the team, and most important the sponsors. Entercom snuck back up on everyone this year, and I think they are on to something. But then what do I know?

I have heard the delay on WEEI announcing O'Brien's replacement depends if they can get a new deal with Sox. If not it will be Merloni for the last year, if they do a well known broadcaster will sign with WEEI for many years.

What you have heard is highly unlikely. In cases like this, the team will backstop any talent contract if the current station does not renew. The Red Sox will want to guarantee the best talent possible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom