• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lions to WJR

umfan

Star Participant
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...radio-flagship-to-wjr-in-2016-amid-censorship

I'm surprised Cumulus made this move considering their financial issues. I presume the Lions protected themselves against an almost certain Cumulus financial restructuring (read bankruptcy) in the contract.

I don't for a minute, buy into these allegations from Valenti. The guy is showing Jeff Moss like issues. Frankly, he just isn't that much of a factor. His agent is playing this to raise his profile. I think this switch has to have Greater Media considering if they need to sunset the Sports format on 105.1. I'd sure love to know what that station bills.

In any case, this makes Sunday's a lot more listenable on WJR. The Ticket will undoubtedly take some kind of hit to the ratings, but probably not a big one. Another sign that AM is not dead, at least not yet!

And now the Lions can put together a 'sunshine and roses' post-game talker for WJR, where negative callers will be turned away.

Greater Media has Pistons Basketball, and big ticket events from ESPN Radio. They'll be fine.

The Ticket still has the Tigers and Red Wings, and can now brand themselves as 'the place where REAL Lions fans come to talk'. They'll be fine too :)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...radio-flagship-to-wjr-in-2016-amid-censorship

I'm surprised Cumulus made this move considering their financial issues. I presume the Lions protected themselves against an almost certain Cumulus financial restructuring (read bankruptcy) in the contract.

I don't for a minute, buy into these allegations from Valenti. The guy is showing Jeff Moss like issues. Frankly, he just isn't that much of a factor. His agent is playing this to raise his profile. I think this switch has to have Greater Media considering if they need to sunset the Sports format on 105.1. I'd sure love to know what that station bills.

In any case, this makes Sunday's a lot more listenable on WJR. The Ticket will undoubtedly take some kind of hit to the ratings, but probably not a big one. Another sign that AM is not dead, at least not yet!

Except that station management and anyone that has ever done sports radio in Detroit can attest how big of ******-bags the lions are (and that PR guy)

The Lions do not deserve any benefit of the doubt

And now the Lions can put together a 'sunshine and roses' post-game talker for WJR, where negative callers will be turned away.

Greater Media has Pistons Basketball, and big ticket events from ESPN Radio. They'll be fine.

The Ticket still has the Tigers and Red Wings, and can now brand themselves as 'the place where REAL Lions fans come to talk'. They'll be fine too :)

This was done in Pittsburgh in 2000 when the former WTAE (then ESPN 1250) lost the Steelers rights to Clear Channel's WDVE (which just renewed through 2018). DVE started touting itself as "The Voice of the Steelers". 1250 retorted with "The Voice of the Steelers Fan". And yes, they went with caller driven talk that was much more negative about the team.

I wonder if the Lions are requiring WJR to have an FM simulcast? Most listeners under 40 can't find the AM
band anymore. Most under 30 can't find a radio.

This was done in Pittsburgh in 2000 when the former WTAE (then ESPN 1250) lost the Steelers rights to Clear Channel's WDVE (which just renewed through 2018). DVE started touting itself as "The Voice of the Steelers". 1250 retorted with "The Voice of the Steelers Fan". And yes, they went with caller driven talk that was much more negative about the team.

I wonder if the Lions are requiring WJR to have an FM simulcast? Most listeners under 40 can't find the AM
band anymore. Most under 30 can't find a radio.

and football play by play doesn't drive radio the way baseball play by play does.

it's only 16 times a year, if you are that big of a fan, you'll find it on TV.

No FM simulcast that I'm aware of. Both WJR and WWJ are in the Top 10. I think people can easily find them.

Personally I've become a big fan of football play-by-play on the radio.
The older I get the less I want to spend beautiful fall days inside in front of the TV.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom