• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

So...Who's doing christmas?

Jonathan7157

Frequent Participant
In Tampa Bay, last year, WDUV did Christmas music all the time. Maybe, this year, what station do you think should do the occasional all-day Christmas music (w/commercials, obviously... :rolleyes:) I think WWRM-FM should do it, because they were the traditional radio station to do this. And of course WFLZ-FM would play christmas music too (not often though), but mix it in with their normal music they always play. Same suit with WMTX-FM, WFUS, WQYK, WPOI, the list goes on... Anyways, what station should do the all-Christmas music this year. ;)

Cox Radio used to put the Christmas format on WWRM. And it would zoom WWRM to the top of the ratings, ahead of WDUV in the Holiday ratings period. But a couple of years ago, Cox decided against that. No station in Tampa went all Christmas, except maybe a non-commercial Contemporary Christian station. I always thought it was odd that the same is true in Miami. You'd think WDUV and WFEZ, being older demo Soft AC stations, would be logical for an all-holiday format.

I didn't know that WDUV went All-Christmas last year. So far no one in Tampa or Miami has switched and Thanksgiving is only days away.

The then WHFS-FM did all Christmas last year on 98.7 as a stunt. Q105 and Magic 949 were occasional Christmas, and WDUV had occasional Christmas daytime/overnight weekdays and all nights and weekends all last year. Thunder Tampa Bay also had some Christmas rock music in their playlist as well.

WDUV has already started mixing in Christmas music, with all Christmas from 7-midnight.

Cox Media moved the all Christmas format from 94.9 to 105.5 last year. I would expect WDUV to again go all Christmas for this weekend and then back to regular programming for a couple more weeks. Ultimately though, they will go all Christmas 24/7 at some point. Unlike other markets where there's competition on who's gonna do it first and whatnot, it's been pretty well established over the last few years that neither iHeart nor the former CBS group had any interest in taking one of their properties all Christmas. Last year was a special situation with Beasley taking over the CBS properties and having the opportunity to do it on 98.7 before the re-imaging. Unless something drastic happens with Bubba over the next few weeks, I wouldn't expect any of the commercial stations in the area to flip. Because of this, Cox has the luxury of not being pressed into doing it full time on WDUV too soon. Everyone will throw in some Christmas tunes here and there..... but no one will do it full time except WDUV in my opinion.

Looks like nobody this year is doing all Christmas in the Tampa market.

Not surprising...there is so much music online, Like I ♥ Radio and others. If one wants streaming Christmas music go there and don't mess with normal formatted stations.

Not surprising...there is so much music online, Like I ♥ Radio and others. If one wants streaming Christmas music go there and don't mess with normal formatted stations.
Yeah, indeed.

Although I'm sure many people (myself included) don't have data plans on their phones and can't access iHeart while driving, haha!

Looks like nobody this year is doing all Christmas in the Tampa market.

WUT?! Why would stations do THIS?! Are TAMPANIANS TOO NAUGHTY for christmas music?! lol. :D OK, I should've not laughed at that one. WE NEED CHRISTMAS MUSIC. NOT FROM 91.5 or any religious station (no offense), just any commercial station (92.1-107.9). NOT 105.5. NOT 94.9. There all doing some christmas music and some normal music. They should do it like B101 in Philly and air Christmas Music in HD1 & Normal AC Music in HD2. I mean, dosen't WWRM-FM they have an HD Radio Channel? DOES TAMPA BAY HAVE NO CHRISTMAS SPIRIT (radio-wisely)?!

Well for those who would like to listen to "All Christmas Music", at least online. Internet radio Tyme 102.9 W.T.Y.M. is playing non stop Christmas Music for the next 25 days. The url is www.wtym.org. Or, you can go to Tune In & search for Tyme 102.9. One of the cool things about this station is that it is located in Lutz, Fl.
Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, & A Happy New Year...

WUT?! Why would stations do THIS?! Are TAMPANIANS TOO NAUGHTY for christmas music?! lol. :D OK, I should've not laughed at that one. WE NEED CHRISTMAS MUSIC. NOT FROM 91.5 or any religious station (no offense), just any commercial station (92.1-107.9). NOT 105.5. NOT 94.9. There all doing some christmas music and some normal music. They should do it like B101 in Philly and air Christmas Music in HD1 & Normal AC Music in HD2. I mean, dosen't WWRM-FM they have an HD Radio Channel? DOES TAMPA BAY HAVE NO CHRISTMAS SPIRIT (radio-wisely)?!
I agree that it'd be nice to see a station move their regular format temporarily onto an HD2 or something, but it's programming director's discretion, really. I mean, I emailed the PD of WDUV last year and I got no response back on the matter, so you're more than welcome to voice your thoughts to them, but don't expect a response back.

Cox use of the HD2 signals are a COMPLETE WASTE. Ideas like the ones above would cost the company nothing extra. Unplug a couple wires, restart a computer here or there, and there you go. Rediculous.

So I noticed that WDUV and Magic 949 deleted posts on their Facebook pages pertaining to the fact that they aren't all Christmas...lol

They didn't need too. They're not threatened by any other station in the market; and if someone wants Christmas music, it's easily found in this day and age.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom