• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

52 Years Ago Today's... And Not A Word

T

Tilden

President John F. Kennedy was assassinated on the streets of Dallas, Texas 52 years ago today but not a word of tribute or memorial mention on network or cable TV Still, plenty of air -time for Ms. Bengazi, Herr Trump, Uncle Ben or Avoirduois Christy.
So sad, yet the world has not recovered from that bloody day of murder of President of The United States on the mean streets of Dallas

President John F. Kennedy was assassinated on the streets of Dallas, Texas 52 years ago today but not a word of tribute or memorial mention on network or cable TV Still, plenty of air -time for Ms. Bengazi, Herr Trump, Uncle Ben or Avoirduois Christy.
So sad, yet the world has not recovered from that bloody day of murder of President of The United States on the mean streets of Dallas

52 years is a very long time. Most people alive today read about this in a history book, alongside the assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley. One must be my age (60) or older to have any vivid recollections of watching the coverage on TV. There is no further need to repeatedly cover news of the past. We no longer commemorate the death of FDR either, and he had far greater impact on the world than Kennedy did.

Hillary, Trump, Carson, and the rest of the Presidential candidates are today's news. Add the events in Europe and Africa in the last week and a half, and you have a good portion of what needs to be covered today. Events of the distant past no longer need to be covered in depth.

Yeah. I was never sure why this anniversary got attention almost every year. 50 years I could understand.

We didn't really make a big deal about 9/11 this year either. Next year is the 15th. I expect a lot then.

Yes, especially considering the events of the recent past that will certainly still be an issue then (if not worse), as well as it being an election year. But 15 years is not 52. In time, 9/11 will also be relegated to the history books like Pearl Harbor and D-Day are now, other than for the few remaining survivors of WW2.

It always happens, and it's a fact of life. I'm sure that the last surviving Civil War veterans thought that the young whipper-snappers of the 1920s weren't giving them the proper respect, what with World War I having just ended.

Then you have this stupid tabloid called "The Globe", I believe it's called the headline is "52 Years Later Revealed NIXON ORDERED KENNEDY MURDERED." Where do they get off publishing trash like this? Some people believe everything they read and will now believe that this is true. BTW, it seems to me that everything in "The Globe" is made up.

Nixon?!?!?!? The Globe is such a rag. They never tell the truth. Everybody knows it was Elvis. :D

Nothing specifically "dedicated" to JFK, but Nat Geo had JFK assassination stuff on all day. I was flipping between that and Seahawks game this afternoon...

Radio-X

While the assassination of Pres. Kennedy is terrible, for some reason we also make more of anniversaries with round numbers...50....55...60.

Also, the assassinations of JFK and RFK (but not MLK, whose death remains relevant so long as race relations remain a problem in America) are touchstones of the baby boomer generation, which has largely moved out of the demographic advertisers are interested in, so they're meeting the same fate on TV as oldies have on radio: oblivion. Commercial TV has enough trouble reaching millennials and thereabouts without showing programming rehashing something that happened at least 25 years before those people were born. Even The History Channel has moved on from doing shows that are actually about history, for the most part.

...besides, all the network (radio and TV) coverage, as well as WFAA-TV/8's local coverage, of the assassination as it broke is up on YouTube for anyone to check out at any time of the year. It would simply be a hash of familiar material to put together a commemorative special, everything that's been said or heard has already been repeated a dozen times over...

Also, the assassinations of JFK and RFK (but not MLK, whose death remains relevant so long as race relations remain a problem in America) are touchstones of the baby boomer generation, which has largely moved out of the demographic advertisers are interested in, so they're meeting the same fate on TV as oldies have on radio: oblivion.

Not sure if that's exactly true. CNN has been running their big documentary series on The Sixties, produced by Tom Hanks. Consider the success of the Selma movie last year. All of the networks gave a lot of attention to the 70th anniversary of D-Day last year. And two years ago, everyone ran all their JFK documentaries for the 50th. I really think after a while, it's more about hitting milestone years than appealing to demographics.

I still have my tape of "Four Days in November," which I acquired a few years ago taped off WJBK Detroit with commercials. The CBS special (from 1988) which had an overview about the assassination (a lot of Walter Cronkite). It should be required viewing for history classes. Too bad the tape is EP mode and grainy.
Unfortunately, most kids today just don't give a crap about US History. They only care about what latest gossip comes out of their Facebook, SnapChat, Instagram and Twitter accounts. Not enough of them enjoy learning about the U.S. winning World War II, or about the horrors of the Vietnam War, or (like we are talking about) a President who gets assassinated. Big events in history that most middle and high school students would care less about.

didn't really make a big deal about September 11 this year either.

Thank whatever. I grew beyond sick of constantly hearing about it years ago.

Nixon? The Globe is such a rag. They never tell the truth. Everybody knows it was Elvis.

Elvis? I heard it was Frank Sinatra and his buddies in the mob.

Unfortunately, most kids today just don't give a crap about US history. They only care about what latest gossip comes out of their social media accounts. Not enough of them enjoy learning about the US winning World War II, or about the horrors of the Vietnam war, or (like we are talking about) a president who gets assassinated. Big events in history that most middle and high school students would care less about.

If there is one thing about public education that hasn't changed entirely over the years, that would be it. When I was in high school I was probably the only one who halfway paid attention in history classes. But then, having them at 8 in the morning (first period) is also rarely a good idea.

Only back then it was CDs, video game magazines and REFLEX pagers (Gen Y's implementation of text messaging).

Last edited:
Public education in the USA has turned into "study for the big SBAC/PARCC test in the spring." Teachers prep 2nd graders for the 3rd grade test, months in advance. Then in 3rd grade, they go straight to a computer, put on headphones and become testing robots for several years. The state (and national companies like Pearson) push this crap for kids so they make a buck. It's sad what public schools have turned into, and it's probably not going to change for many years to come. If SBAC/PARCC go away, another confusing hard standardized test will take its place.
High schools still have graduation requirements (made by the state) so that the students go to the classroom and get HW done. Or not. Their choice. Ask any 16-year-old junior (born in either late 1998 or early-mid 1999) who Lucille Ball is. Juniors have to take a US History class in WA state, and there aren't that many who know (or care) about 1950s/1960s TV. I applaud those whose parents introduced them to the golden age of television, and how it's better than any of this Real Housewives or Kardashian crap today.
Way off topic. But if this is our next generation, society has failed us.

-crainbebo

I think the Globe is the same tab that several years ago had a cover story screaming "Kennedy is ALIVE!" and showed a pasted-up picture of him lounging on a beach somewhere, with Jackie handing him a cocktail.

...besides, all the network (radio and TV) coverage, as well as WFAA-TV/8's local coverage, of the assassination as it broke is up on YouTube for anyone to check out at any time of the year. It would simply be a hash of familiar material to put together a commemorative special, everything that's been said or heard has already been repeated a dozen times over...

Speaking of YouTube and assassination theories, somewhere in the comments on this vid about the secrets of the Vatican is someone commenting something like "JFK's always being assassinated for things like not wearing a clown wig" and the like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urLxLj_UU8w

Heck, Peter Doggett in You Never Give Me Your Money (about the Beatles' post breakup lives) notes that when John Lennon was murdered, some paranoiacs said that President-elect Reagan ordered it, to keep Lennon from leading a revived counterculture.

If anyone is determined enough to proffer a conspiracy theory about a national/international catastrophe (the Kennedys and King, 9/11, HAARP [accused by conspiracists of weather control; remember the book Angels Don't Play This HAARP?), nothing can stop him or her.

ixnay

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom