• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mix 103.3 FM Is Off My Playlist

Till December 26 2015. Christmas music is in full gear.

Dan <><

Does 103.3 quit playing Christmas music the day after Christmas? Wish that were the case here. The only thing worse than Christmas music before Thanksgiving is Christmas music after Christmas.

My plans are to play the yuletide tunes, during the week of Christmas. If the audience wants more, so be it. If they want those songs regulated to Christmas Eve and Day only, then I'll do it.

Concerning Mix 103.3, they do.

Dan <><

I have a gospel music friend who has a unique view on this: He told me that in his world, it's Christmas and Easter every day. He sings about it and celebrates it every day. It's not a one day holiday for him. So his Christmas tour begins before Thanksgiving. In fact he just kicked it off Friday.

I hate to say it, Dan… You and I might be two of a minority when it comes to Christmas music. I don't like anything until after Thanksgiving. This Christmas Creep is worse every year. It was bad enough to be hearing it before Thanksgiving, but to hear it before Halloween (and see trees next to witch costumes in stores!) is cray-cray.

Because it's become a competition in so many markets — who's gonna flip first!? — the outcome is inevitable. But I don't have to like it! Bah humbug, lol.

I noticed that WAY-FM has gone all-Christmas as well. So you can knock 102.3 and 95.1-4 off your list in Montgomery, too.

Wish I could but:

(1) I don't own a HD Radio
(2) I'm still getting WYVC Camden as if it were a local station.
(3) To hear WAY 102.3 FM, I would have to be close to the Gump and I don't go there every day.

Dan <><

No, we're not a minority when it comes to Christmas music. It's actually a pretty small minority that wants nonstop Christmas music for an entire month or longer. The problem is that small minority is almost all female and almost all in the money demo. It's also a larger minority than what normally listens to most of the stations that go all Christmas, and it listens longer than it does the rest of the year. Also, the all Christmas shift usually only benefits one station if multiple stations do it. In other words, there aren't enough listeners to go around in most markets. Men, in general, don't want tons of Christmas music, which is a lot of why you don't see rock stations go all Christmas. Mix 103.3, however, targets women and doesn't really care what us guys think.

I've often likened the all Christmas format to what happens when two or more people are being chased by a bear. Everyone doesn't have to outrun the bear; they just have to not be the slowest person in the group. All Christmas just helps you outrun a few more people for a month or so.

Kent that makes a lot of sense. I'm happy that we're allowed to vent on this (I assume everyone in the thread so far is a man.)

I could tell RDP it could be worse. From my location in Baldwin County, I eventually wind up with four different Christmas stations on the dial: WMXC (Mobile), WNCV (Fort Walton Beach), WPCS (Pensacola) and WMJY (Biloxi).

Kent that makes a lot of sense. I'm happy that we're allowed to vent on this (I assume everyone in the thread so far is a man.)

I could tell RDP it could be worse. From my location in Baldwin County, I eventually wind up with four different Christmas stations on the dial: WMXC (Mobile), WNCV (Fort Walton Beach), WPCS (Pensacola) and WMJY (Biloxi).

Praise Santa and Cumulus for WMEZ!

I think part of the reason for a spike in the ratings is the dial is full headbanging/thumping/noise (and that's just the "Lite" stations). Gives the ears a break without turning it off completely and being put to sleep by classical.

Till December 26 2015. Christmas music is in full gear.

Dan <><

Mix 103.3 has been off my playlist/presets since 1987. ;)

I didn't know AC/DC was a lite-rock favorite.

I feel the same way about hearing GnR on a classic rock station. :rolleyes: It may be "classic" by age, but not by sound. It's hair metal to me. Goes really well (not) with Buffalo Springfield and Elton John.

This was one area where I thought satellite radio had it over regular terrestrial radio. The lite rock channel(s) were truly "light" and the classic rock was divided by older and newer music, so all the 80's crap was segregated to its own channel.

Of course I rarely listen to local radio anymore unless it's to keep my website updated with something. I actually hear more music on shortwave these days than anywhere else. WTWW in Tennessee plays oldies some nights, and Radio Prague, WRMI and The Mighty KBC all play music you don't hear down here on the coast anymore. For everything else, there's AccuRadio, which has the best oldies channels I've come across online so far.

Ac/DC and GNR are the new soft rock for 50+. Buffalo Springfield is now your Grandparents music. The 80's are now officially the bridge between younger and older demos.

90's are considered the music that today's kids say.

Yeah my mom listens to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ac/DC and GNR are the new soft rock for 50+. Buffalo Springfield is now your Grandparents music. The 80's are now officially the bridge between younger and older demos.

90's are considered the music that today's kids say.

Yeah my mom listens to that.

Sad But it's true.

That's where the problem with most stations today is that a years go by, it's harder for a lot of jocks who are now station management to grasp the reality that demos have changed and music from the 70's and 80's are now considered oldies.

When i got into radio 17 years ago, an oldies station playing music from the 70's was "pushing boundaries", now it's almost impossible to find an oldies station in montgomery playing music any earlier than 1969.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom