• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Programming Hot AC internet radio. Help!

Tomgsinger

Frequent Participant
I posted in the Boston forum(my target audience) but I figured I should post here as well. I need help programming a Hot AC station on Live365. What currents,recurrent and golds, etc. should I use? Should I play any 80s music? How rhythmic should I get? Post your thoughts here!

I'd try to separate yourself from terrestrial radio, so I'd have a deeper playlist with more cutting-edge Hot AC music, and less "worn out" recurrents/golds, but include a little bit of that too. Here's a sample hour I'd use:
Rachel Platten: Stand by You
Creed: Rain
Borns: Electric Love
Lily Allen: The Fear
All-American Rejects: The Wind Blows
Rob Thomas: Hold on Forever
Jason Derulo: Want To Want Me
Daughtry: Life After You
A Great Big World: Hold Each Other
Lana Del Rey: Summertime Sadness
James Blunt: High
Alessia Carra: Here

So basically, running an online station try to stray from playing a lot of the "worn out" tracks that people can't get away from on terrestrial radio, and play cutting edge and deeper playlist songs. Basically capture the AAA and Hot AC audience.

Another option is skewing a bit more 80's hits into the mix...tons of popular stuff you can tap your feet to that really doesn't get airplay anymore. Most people who enjoy 80's-90's pop/light rock are forced to listen to internet radio or SiriusXM...and the few remaining 80's hits stations that are scattered about our great land are working from an active playlist of 2-400 songs -- of which half get airplay on classic hits/classic rock/AC stations anyway!

I never was a programmer for an AC station (many of you who read this in the industry will say "it sure as hell shows!"), but I'd put 1/3 deeper music by today's pop artists, 1/6 hit music from today's pop artists, 1/6 recurrents from the past 3-5 years, 1/3 hit music from 91-09, and 1/3 80's hits

Some sample songs:

Julian Lennon: Too Late For Goodbyes
Quarterflash: Harden My Heart
Matthew Wilder: Break My Stride
XTC: Making Plans For Nigel
Genesis: I Can't Dance
Howard Jones: Things Can Only Get Better
Bananarama: Cruel Summer
Billy Ocean: Caribbean Queen
Duran Duran: A View to A Kill
Ronnie Milsap: Stranger In My House
Peter Gabriel: Games Without Frontiers
...and why not...
Beach Boys: Kokomo

Most of these titles were top 40 hits (or received decent airplay) when they were released. With one or two exceptions, I have heard no commercial FM radio station really touch most of this stuff.

Radio-X

If I hear "Break My Stride" ever again, I'm going to break someone's kneecaps!

Sorry, I had to get that out. And, you may need to adjust your fractions, or pitch the music up a lot. How much I ain't saying, because I'm afraid I'd set the equation up wrong!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom