• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dick Biondi's New Time Slot

Dr Wayne

Leading Participant
Starting this weekend, Dick Biondi will be heard on WLS FM Saturday's 6 to 10 am and Sunday's 7 to 10 am. No replacement has been named for this current shift Mon thru Fri 11 pm to 2 am.

Dick is 83. He said he welcomed this change. Was it really his idea? Let's hope so. It would be nice to let him talk more and do what he does best. Possibly he could play some actual "oldies" that he is associated with on his Sunday show? Now that would be must listening. With LS and JMK playing virtually the same music, a deviation from the format to showcase Dick's true strength would be most welcome. Hey WLS..you have a living legend. let him shine!

Dick is 83. He said he welcomed this change. Was it really his idea? Let's hope so. It would be nice to let him talk more and do what he does best. Possibly he could play some actual "oldies" that he is associated with on his Sunday show? Now that would be must listening. With LS and JMK playing virtually the same music, a deviation from the format to showcase Dick's true strength would be most welcome. Hey WLS..you have a living legend. let him shine!

+1

Well, hopefully Cloud Company will go the whole route and open things up a little for their resident Hall of Fame WLS broadcaster. But at minimum, it will be great to have him in time slots where he can be heard more easily.

In reality, he will probably get more listeners weekends. It will also be a test to see if more sponsors (and listeners) jump on board. Probably a good move.

I cant imagine starting a syndicated program featuring an 83-year-old host.

You won't see a syndicated show. The host probably wasn't happy hosting nights, and the station got some publicity. Probably a win-win situation.

I cant imagine starting a syndicated program featuring an 83-year-old host.

I can't either. But then there's Paul Harvey, who kept his network gig going until he was 90. He and Biondi worked in he same building at 360 N. Michigan Avenue in Chicago for a few years in the early 1960s.

The difference is Paul Harvey was a institution, and was heard on hundreds of stations. Biondi is known in Chicago (and the other regional markets he worked in).

Back in the day, (pre wide spread FM use) 890 WLS was the only night time top 40 signal in hundreds if not thousand of rural areas. All of the WLS night time jocks (and WCFL later) had surprising followings. Unfortunately these folks are not in the money demos.

As much as I like Dick Biondi, but I have stopped tuning in on Sunday mornings once he started to play songs by Michael Jackson and other artists that I don't like, so really I don't tune in to him on Sunday mornings as the only stations that pretty much listen to his radio stations that play oldies, and I don't like the Sunday Spin with Rick Pearson that airs on Sunday Mornings, and there is no really talk radio programs that I like that on Sunday mornings that is on at that time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom